New Olympus's 4/3 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzOn3

Jul 12, 2003
Singapore
www.nig3l.com
Hi all, i just read an article on the olympus 4/3 system from here.

I've got a few queries after reading that article.

It is said that "If Nikon and Canon join the group, it will allow us the flexibility of using whatever lens with whatever camera system we choose.". Well, i was thinking, then why didn't the world joined Canon and produced all lens in EF style? Or Nikon with their Nikkor Lens? And so the arguement was that the individual companies had wanted to produce a proprietry system.

Then that defeats the 4/3 system right?

Also, is the image sensor of the 4/3 system able to capture full-frame?

Oh i read that the new 4/3 system is designed with digital in mind, with the over-coming the cropping factor and wide angle problems. But i don't get it.. Don't the 4/3 system use a smaller imaging chip as compared to the standard 24x35 film? How come there isn't a cropping factor? someone Enlighten me on this please.. :D

Then i was thinking, if Canon and Nikon were to adopt the 4/3 system, what happens to all our EF and Nikkor lenses?!?!?!?!?!? :dunno:

Finally, i do agree with the author that "I really think that this is going to be the next big thing in imaging and I fear that once it really takes hold, all of our old stuff won’t be worth much on the used market.". Unless they are able to create a modifier for EF and Nikkor mounts..

If i had interpreted the article wrongly in anyway, please do enlighten me.
Hell, somebody enlighten me on the 4/3 system please! It's so interesting!! A standard camera mount!! So exciting!!!

there is a cropping factor of 2X currently with the E-1 on all the lens....... but if you look at the lens, they become a nice range after the 2x cropping

like the 14-54 become a nice 28-105 F/2.8-4, or the 300 become a 600 F/2.8......... u cant find such lens in canon/nikon......

Oh ya, i just read, 2x crop factor. I thought no crop factor.. -.-

It's a bit misleading. The 14-54mm is a true blue 14-54mm lens, bcoz unlike Canon/Nikon SLRs, they were never built with 35mm in mind. Just like your digicam saying '7-21mm', with equivalent '35mm view of 35-105'.

There is no 'crop' factor - bcoz the 35mm system was never the frame of reference for this system. It's 4/3, and from first to last, fixed at that size.

Don't know if i'm getting it across. Never mind.

ST1100 said:
It's a bit misleading. The 14-54mm is a true blue 14-54mm lens, bcoz unlike Canon/Nikon SLRs, they were never built with 35mm in mind. Just like your digicam saying '7-21mm', with equivalent '35mm view of 35-105'.

There is no 'crop' factor - bcoz the 35mm system was never the frame of reference for this system. It's 4/3, and from first to last, fixed at that size.

Don't know if i'm getting it across. Never mind.

I agree.

Cropping factor only make sense when comparing CCD/CMOS sensor versus film area of the same system.

The 4/3 system is a new system thus it is meaningless to talk about a cropping factor as it was defined as it is and not cropped from any larger viewing angle.

Otherwise, we can all start talking about a cropping factor moving from medium format to 35mm...

Status
Not open for further replies.