New Oly DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyap

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
IF it is interchangeable lenses system, just wondering what lenes the new DSLR will be using. Can the discontinued Olympus OM Lenses be used on this camera?

Or perhaps OLY is coming out with a new range of lenses for this new DSLR? :dunno:

no longer 35mm but smaller... so new lenses.
MF maybe can taped on using velcro hehe
klause I think once oly makes it 3rd party's will flow in..

Originally posted by andyap
Or perhaps OLY is coming out with a new range of lenses for this new DSLR? :dunno:
Yes, the new "Olydak" camera (if and when it ever materialises) will use a new lens system with a new range of lenses. This new system has been dubbed the "Four-Thirds" system, a reference to the standard sensor size for these cameras. This is supposed to be an open standard, unlike the current proprietary Canon and Nikon systems. At this point in time, though, we have yet to see any production bodies or lenses for this system, so it's still vapourware after all these months.

I'm wondering, if this four thirds size is fixed, and new lenses are built for this size, then how are they going to increase pixel count? I mean, don't tell me they are going to pack future 12mp into the same size CCD? That will mean resolution and noise problem....

if they do increase sensor size, then the lens system will have to change too....

anyone has any insights to this?

insights? or insider info? hehe

insights huh, umm current info says 35mm is too big for CCD+CMOS cos the light angle is not direct enough... one of them is slightly better but still got CA-ish probs... and vignette style light falloff...

the 4/3 hence has a smaller area and the light cone needed is narrower -> better distribution of light...

I personally think 4/3s is meant to be a consumer class SLR series... using those CCDs like now... currently a 5mp ccd is slightly smaller? maybe kodak will water down and dump their 760 ccds here... and the mp will limit at "good enough for newbie" size...

why I think so? becos oly is WAY behind in SLR pro technology (ie non-existent) and they do have the very ergonomic IS-3/4/500 cams (very NICE to use like digicam) so they will use this to try and corner the eos300 and F55/66/77 etc kind of market... which they couldn't becos the IS series cannot buy lenses, except for those TCs and WCs... so gadget geeks like us wun buy it cos might as well buy SLR... so now they have a fresh start becos no one has a consumer-class DSLR yet...

pro-wise kodak is nothing except for their imager tech... always the pro AF/AE etc are from the cam coy like nikon f5 or eos 1v...

whew.. essay siah... like my marketing presentation? LOL

and if u wanna buy olydak, buy the 2nd model haha

1st model -> buggy
2nd model -> bugfix + new tech
3rd model -> production optimization (cheaper parts yux)

having got 2 oly uzis (1 original 1 gtee replacement) the first one is better... dunno why... 2nd one had dead pixels which I exchanged for a 3rd one which had an LCD scratch ON THE INSIDE... hard to see but vs the 1st one... sigh...

Originally posted by Tweek
I'm wondering, if this four thirds size is fixed, and new lenses are built for this size, then how are they going to increase pixel count? I mean, don't tell me they are going to pack future 12mp into the same size CCD? That will mean resolution and noise problem....

if they do increase sensor size, then the lens system will have to change too....

anyone has any insights to this?

Well, as technology develops they could substitute a 5Mp Foveon Sensor for the 5Mp CCD sensor, that should be enough resolution to print to A3, who needs more than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.