New Modem/Wireless Router for 3Mbps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
I already have a 1Mbps ADSL connection from Singnet. This runs on a Linksys wireless modem/router (ie. the blue one with 1 anternna, but I forgot the model :( )

Since Singnet has the promo now to recontract from 1Mbps to 3Mbps, for cheaper than what I pay now, I need to know if a new modem/router is required for 3Mbps or can I stick with the existing modem.

The modem/router is abt 2yrs old (the lack of knowledge of the exact model is a real pain ... )

Thx

they'll normally provide u a new one if you're unsure... cost wise depends on the promo... if free, just take and use.

They only provide a wired one. I need a wireless. The package with wireless is a bit more expensive (ie. +$4/mth)

They only provide a wired one. I need a wireless. The package with wireless is a bit more expensive (ie. +$4/mth)

u can still use your existing router... i dun think there is much change in the ADSL in sg... esp yours isn't much diff... *me not using ADSL now @ home... but you can check if yours is ADSL2 or ADSL2+ will do... i doubt anybody using G lite nowadays...

but if they give you a wired one, you can just plug the wired ethernet into your router's wan port (if there is, or uplink) then go into the router's menu and disable the built in modem and change to wan connect then key in the PPOE stuff in will do.

I think you might need to purchase a new router to be used together with the free wired modem given by singnet.

If i am not wrong, e router you have does not have a WAN port thus you will not be able to connect the new modem to ur existing router.

If the above is true, then you would need to either pay more to get the wireless package or buy a new linksys router which cost ard $49 i think at current day prices.

Singnet arh... Dun need to change anything one lah. When u recontract, juz turn off your modem & router on the morning the "new service" is activated(inyour case, its only a single device, so juz turn it off anyway). Then turn on again n you are ready to go. They will for sure give u free modem one. Dun need to use that actually. I'm on the third recontract already, but still using the first modem supplied. But mine router n modem seperate device. Router tends to spoilt more easily. I change one router already.

I already have a 1Mbps ADSL connection from Singnet. This runs on a Linksys wireless modem/router (ie. the blue one with 1 anternna, but I forgot the model :( )

Since Singnet has the promo now to recontract from 1Mbps to 3Mbps, for cheaper than what I pay now, I need to know if a new modem/router is required for 3Mbps or can I stick with the existing modem.

The modem/router is abt 2yrs old (the lack of knowledge of the exact model is a real pain ... )

Thx

Your existing modem will work fine as the connection speed is still far below the capability of your ADSL modem.

If your subscribed plan is above 8Mbps, then you'll be required to use ADSL2 modem. And if its above 12Mbps, then it will be ADSL2+.

In addition, you shouldn't be running into problem with your internet connection since the units from 2 years ago should be capable of handling it.

Last edited:
ADSL+2 modems are needed as e prev version of ADSL modems are only able to support speeds up till 1.5mbps.

This is assuming that its ADSL Lite (1.5Mbps cap) instead of the regular ADSL (8Mbps cap).

Status
Not open for further replies.