new model or 2nd hand DSLR camera?

SnowWhite

Aug 10, 2007
Hi there

Need your expert advice on the following issue based on $600 budget;

A) Nikon/Sony digital camera model(include new models)
----------------------------------------------------
Based on the above, which model should I consider and why is it so?

B) Nikon/Canon (2nd hand DSLR)
----------------------------

c) Between A or B
---------------
Based on your experience, which one should I consider? I certainly don't mind the heavy weight camera and having to switch lens

I do understand these questions can certainly lead to alot of comparsion and very wide debates, your input is vital. As the next IT show is in March, your valuable inputs can certainly ease my selection, greatly appreciate it as well.

Many thanks inadvance............this is for a male user........hee hee

to be honest, $600 is not a lot of budget especially for a DSLR system.
If it's a new DSLR you're after, probably only 1 or 2 models fit that budget. I can only think of Sony A 2-- which was around low $600s if I remember correctly. But haven't even included other accessories. Things you might want/need to get:

1) camera bag
2) dry box/cabinet
3) tripod
4) lens filters
5) remote trigger, etc
6) cleaning accessories
7) external flash
8) additional lenses

Please don't buy during IT Show, unless you have done your price research (eg. comparing with reputed camera stores) and really found the prices to be competitive. Most of the time they're not.

Hi there

c) Between A or B
---------------
Based on your experience, which one should I consider? I certainly don't mind the heavy weight camera and having to switch lens

I do understand these questions can certainly lead to alot of comparsion and very wide debates, your input is vital. As the next IT show is in March, your valuable inputs can certainly ease my selection, greatly appreciate it as well.

$600 really is a limited budget. Sony 2xx certainly was about $600+, which would exceed the budget. Try get a second hand D40, D60 from nikon or 1000D or 400D from canon. Might just go under the budget. No accessories at that price though...

Yup $600 is very little for a DSLR system. You could probably get a camera without a lens, which is rather pointless.

Or a very old camera with a basic kit lens, but you still need extra money for tripods and other accessories.

For $600, not much choice - an older model like Nikon D70S, smaller zoom kit lens: 18-55, you might have some change left over

Last edited:
Hi there

c) Between A or B
---------------

Personally, I feel that a budget of $600 is really very tight. Even for purchasing a second hand camera.

I would reckon that you to save up till $1500 and get yourself a second hand body e.g D90 with 18-108mm and a 50mm f1.8 or 550D with 18-135mm.

It's wiser to fully ultilise the $1500 to the fullest and getting something more recent rather than wasting $600 on some old second hand camera.

IT shows = very, very bad place to buy DSLR.

Last edited:
when u buy DSLR.. u buy a system..
if u dont mind to spend and spend.. then get DSLR.. coz in long run, u need to get accs as what ZCA mentioned :)

if not.. compact camera is way to go.. with ur budget, Canon S95 is awesome..

if die die want DSLR.. 2nd hand Pentax K-x is great for ur budget, and still have some loose change..

photography = expensive poison

Two sticky threads for your perusal:
Which DSLR to get: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787393
What lens / etc to buy after 1st DSLR? http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797080

First homework is: Why do you think you (or your male friend) need a DSLR? Which camera does he have right now and which limitations are there to overcome that require DSLR?
Recommendations are always biased. Some are just gear heads and would never consider anything older than 6 months, others can see through the marketing part to select according real needs. Try to define your needs, it will help you to focus during the selection process. You might end up with the conclusion that any entry level DSLR can do the job ;)
For prices, have a look at Buy & Sell here.

yep, i agree with the rest. maybe you can stretch your budget abit more?
did you look at pentax cameras as well?
they are pretty good.

Save more first before really heading to get a dslr. However do ask yourself if the user really needs a dslr system. Well, I don't see a point of wasting all the money in to get a dslr just to shoot friends or yourself only, though thats what many people of my age are doing... :nono:

TS, i sort of been in ur position before buying my first dslr with a really tight budget. end up find that so many features are lacking. i suggest you save up a bit more so that you have better choices of dslr to choose from. however, if you are ok with that 1 or 2 choices available then its up to you.

maybe you can post an WTB ad at the classified section for a dslr at $600 with kit lens and see if anyone respond.

if its a gift, could just buy a $600 camera body only to get him started, he can buy the rest (lens, tripod etc) for himself. no one says you have to buy the whole system or nothing.

With a 600sgd budget, I would strongly suggest trying out a bridge camera like the Fujifilm HS-20, Nikon P-300, or Canon Powershot G12 first. You'll get a more complete system for the price. Even if you manage to get a DSLR within 600sgd, the rest of the system will push up the price.

I am pleasantly pleased with the amount of responses from this thread. One thing that caught me thinking, is the camera shop really give more good stuff than IT show? Can anyone of u elaborate your experiences on this? Would certainly be helpful to be armed with good examples.......anyone? Any particular shops? If you prefer to stay private, PM me will be great as well.......thks!

save a bt more, your $600 wont go far with that kind of budget!

I am pleasantly pleased with the amount of responses from this thread. One thing that caught me thinking, is the camera shop really give more good stuff than IT show? Can anyone of u elaborate your experiences on this? Would certainly be helpful to be armed with good examples.......anyone? Any particular shops? If you prefer to stay private, PM me will be great as well.......thks!

IT show give you freebies, shops give you actual money discount.

the freebies are worth much much less than the discount you will be getting at the shops.

Sony A300/350 with kit lens 2nd hand cost around $400+, which is probably the best camera u can get on a budget. It has all the functions u would need, and even has live view, tiltable LCD screen (very useful for over the shoulder and low angle composition), wireless flash commander (incase u wanna venture into off camera flash one day), image stabalizer build into camera body.

Just to fyi, Sony A300 and A350 is better than their A330/390, as the A300/350 has a better grip and handling.

Last edited: