New Macbook Pro. Worth it?

Massive hard drive with a massive price tag, over S$4k!

Well if you can afford it why not?

Yup, if you can afford then why not?

Anyway, before you buy a Mac always always check for when the next refresh is rumored to be coming.
It will save you a lot of pain.

Can check here, usually quite accurate: Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone
Macbook Pro was on the "Do not buy, refresh coming" list for past 3 months.

i'm just disappointed that Apple only concentrated on the 15" MBP and kind of neglected the 13" version.
A notebok is to be portable and to me 15" is just too big. Weight is one thing, size is another.
I was hoping to "update" my 13" MBP which is the 2010 version to this new one but after seeing it…i'm thinking i'll not change. Why?
Well, the size isn't any different, the removed the DVD drive but still kept the same size…they even kept the 2 USB side by side which is a PAIN especially with broadband dongles…plug it in and the other USB can't be used :(
Screen Res is exactly the same..
HDD is still not SSD (can upgrade but that's an expensive add-on)
Overall, you won't be able to tell it apart from the old MBP other than the missing DVD slot..

So i can't bring myself to pay $3k (2.9 i7 with 500gb ssd) to change my MBP which although is still core2duo is still serving me well..i guess unless it dies on me, i don't htink i will change…i just wish apple paid more attention to the 13" rather than just the 15"..

Why not MBA 13"? I'm using that, fully upgraded. I'm sure it'll be as fast or even faster than the MBP 13" for most tasks.

Haha I'm still using a 2010 Mac Mini, with C2D and SATA drives only, but with FW800 storages I find LR4 and PS6 a breeze to process my RAWs.

One thing I admire on Mac OS is that we don't need to keep up with the latest OS to get speedy performance :p like the rest I will consider another Mac if my Mini fails on me.

I just bout a 2nd gen MBP last month and this came out.. Should i sell my 2nd gen and get this new one instead? It does have a massive 768GB SSD Drive!

Need to see the tests on the gamut, color accuracy, etc of the screen.. More than just screen resolution for photography, if you ask me.

Need to see the tests on the gamut, color accuracy, etc of the screen.. More than just screen resolution for photography, if you ask me.
well, there is a positive step, like they have finally moved to an IPS screen option, their first... now, if they also have 10bit colour and RGBLED, that would be even better... not to mention a matte screen option...

For SGD 4k? Screw the macbook, get a fantastic desktop PC instead.

Why not MBA 13"? I'm using that, fully upgraded. I'm sure it'll be as fast or even faster than the MBP 13" for most tasks.

Because i already own a 13" MBA..but i can't use that for work…i only use it when i travel or at home..
for my work, i need a notebook with enough HDD space…my current MBP is with 1TB HDD and it's 75% full..so no, i can't use the MBA for work…and work I mean my job as a network engineer...

For SGD 4k? Screw the macbook, get a fantastic desktop PC instead.

What if you have to go overseas for a shoot? You can't bring a desktop there as well. $4k is a little too much in my opinion. We can actually get a super high end laptop with just that money.

What if you have to go overseas for a shoot? You can't bring a desktop there as well. $4k is a little too much in my opinion. We can actually get a super high end laptop with just that money.
The main problem with laptop is always going to be the screen.

$4K i think not worth it, i prefer setting-up a desktop for editing, personally i owned MBP 13" for on site photo checking if sharp, not tilted horizon or not noisy photo.
but for editing i always do it in my PC....
15" or 17" MBP quite heavy leh....

$4k is a little too much in my opinion. We can actually get a super high end laptop with just that money.

ALIENWARE? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Well if you are looking at 768GB SSD that's the price you gonna pay. Personally I find the base configuration of the 2.3GHz model is priced reasonably at $3k.

*cough* massive power adapter

ALIENWARE? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Well if you are looking at 768GB SSD that's the price you gonna pay. Personally I find the base configuration of the 2.3GHz model is priced reasonably at $3k.

true the base model with 8gb ram is quite good.

256 GB ssd is good enough and with thunderbolt drives you can add more storage if required.

Ive used the thunderbolt drives and some users who were into video editing said the speed was awesome and did not affect workflow.