New Mac user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgotha

Aug 20, 2004
Melbourne/Singapore
I've taken the plunge again. As some of you might know, I bought a Macbook a couple of months ago and within 5 mins of usage, encountered problems so bad that I got it refunded.

Now I've got the itch and got myself a Macbook again. So far so good, charging liao no more problems with the transformer. So CSers with a Mac, what are some of the things I should take note 1st or do 1st?

TIA.

*Cross fingers no problems*

I've taken the plunge again. As some of you might know, I bought a Macbook a couple of months ago and within 5 mins of usage, encountered problems so bad that I got it refunded.

Now I've got the itch and got myself a Macbook again. So far so good, charging liao no more problems with the transformer. So CSers with a Mac, what are some of the things I should take note 1st or do 1st?

TIA.

*Cross fingers no problems*
load up with antivirus, antispyware, anti-malware, anti-spam, anti-adware software, powerful third party firewall and constantly update your OS.

oh wait, that's for the Windows platform (if you are installing via Bootcamp or Parellels :bsmilie: )

you can do a battery calibration for the MacBook to keep the battery reading accurate (search ard for instructions) =)

all the best to your Mac experience!

Thanks!

i found out about the batt calibration after i charged my batt..............:(
anyway i'm having problems logging on to my internet........dunno wat's wrong or what i did wrong.

Hi Golgotha,

Long time no see ... you may wish to download VMware Fusion (free) and load Win XP without needing BootCamp. It runs as a session within your Mac, pretty cool. :D

Thanks!

i found out about the batt calibration after i charged my batt..............:(
anyway i'm having problems logging on to my internet........dunno wat's wrong or what i did wrong.
no worries, i never calibrated my office's macbook pro either :bsmilie:

you are connecting wireless via router, or.. ?

Send me a mail if you need anything, will share them with you if I have ... ;)

Welcome to Mac World. I too had major problems when I converted, especially without the right click; felt like a handicap.

Best to get someone who is familiar with the mac to get around with you.

I think the first thing to do is click on the apple to get into system preferences and choose your personal preferences for appearance, dashboard/expose and desktop/screensaver.

Next load up some photos on iphoto and do a slide show of it with your favorite music - :thumbsup: feels like heaven!

Then you'll never use anything else but a mac.

oh, btw, try the spotlight and the widgets too, they are fantastic.

Have fun and all the best!

~ek~

Download the CallWave sms widget so you can send free sms from your laptop. I use it on my iMac, very cool :D

Download the CallWave sms widget so you can send free sms from your laptop. I use it on my iMac, very cool :D

i tried! it is free for sender? recipient also free? skali i sent and all my friends scold me ... after they found out need to pay :embrass:

i tried! it is free for sender? recipient also free? skali i sent and all my friends scold me ... after they found out need to pay :embrass:

I thought all sms received are free. Need to pay meh? Unless it is some special deal we do not know: reverse charge! Oh no! I just tried sending a few msgs to me wife. die, die, liao!

I thought all sms received are free. Need to pay meh? Unless it is some special deal we do not know: reverse charge! Oh no! I just tried sending a few msgs to me wife. die, die, liao!

for our local providers, they are free. but i am not sure about international vendors mah.... :embrass:

think shld be free too :sweat:

haha think it should be free when one receives sms...otherwise...er...its going to be....^_^

Thanks. Good to know so many frenly Mac users. I'm still feeling weird using it. Today is the 2nd day i've got it buy only spent 1/2 hr with it. Guess i got much to learn. What messenger programs are u guys using?

forgot to ask, how to expand or enlarge the windows for safari? it seems that it does not cover the entire LCD making reading websites a pain.

forgot to ask, how to expand or enlarge the windows for safari? it seems that it does not cover the entire LCD making reading websites a pain.

Try dragging the right hand bottom corner of the window.

Hi

I am a macbook user and i encountered battery problems some 4 months ago. i bought the macbook last yr ard july. ard september, the battery, which normally lasts 3 plus to 4 hours, suddenly can only last maximum 2 hrs, even fully charged. i went to the apple centre to get it fixed and they exchanged a new battery for mi. even after calibration, the prob persisted. so i went back again and they say they cannot do anything about it and ask mi to call one of the mac operators in australia.

so via long distance telephone, i talked to an aussie and he upgraded my OS version fer mi in 1 hr of conversation. but the prob remained. i tried with my fren;s battery, and my fren's charger. the prob remained and i know it is definitely the problem with the macbook itself.

and i took it down to the apple centre again. they took it in and say they will run a thorough check. but they did not give mi any assurance. evidently, if they run the full system check and cannot detect any prob, i will have to live with it. i am quite pissed. this time they changed the motherboard and asked mi to reboot my mac if the prob persisted.

of cuz the prob persisted. so i have to reboot my mac and erase eerything i have in the system (luckily and ironically, there is not much data lost, since the mac failed mi in 2 months)now the battery is running ok. but i have not tried installing many progs on it, or storing more data. my warranty is ending in 5 months.

i wonder if anyone has the same prob, if so, u can try rebooting ur system. And i have to say: at apple centre, some of the service personel are really really bad, with an attitude to boot. although i pity them too, in the sense that many customers do return with fauty devices, which can be trying. but still.

the pt is: if u report a real prob, but their checks cannot pick it up, then u have to live with it. i think this is bullshit.

good to let this all out.

Yours ain't so bad. My 1st macbook has its charger blew up in my face. At that time i told myself not to get another one (they refunded it by the way.) But my frens convinced me otherwise.So after another month of consideration, i decided to take the plunge.

Status
Not open for further replies.