New lens or new body

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris0804

Jun 1, 2009
Jakarta
I am currently using 24-70 F2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L IS with my 50D. For my needs 24mm is wide enough for me. Unfortunately, with the 50D, my 24-70 is actually 38-112mm. I have got 2 choices, buy 16-35 f2.8 or change 50D to 5D2. I feel that it is more economical for me to sell the 50D and buy the 5D2 than to buy the 16-35 as I will end up with 2 bodies and 3 zoom lenses. Considering that I am just a hobbyist, I believe that a body and lens coverage of 24-200mm is enough for my travel photography. Not only that, it is also a cheaper move with added benefit of full frame and more pixels. Your opinions is most welcome.

since 24 is wide enough for you on FF

sell 50D and upgrade to 5dII would be better

I am currently using 24-70 F2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L IS with my 50D. For my needs 24mm is wide enough for me. Unfortunately, with the 50D, my 24-70 is actually 38-112mm. I have got 2 choices, buy 16-35 f2.8 or change 50D to 5D2. I feel that it is more economical for me to sell the 50D and buy the 5D2 than to buy the 16-35 as I will end up with 2 bodies and 3 zoom lenses. Considering that I am just a hobbyist, I believe that a body and lens coverage of 24-200mm is enough for my travel photography. Not only that, it is also a cheaper move with added benefit of full frame and more pixels. Your opinions is most welcome.

Not sure what you mean by "end up with 2 bodies and 3 zooms". Anyway, it's always a good idea to have a backup body on travels as you never know when the primary (or only) body may develop problems. I have travelled a fair bit with just one body and I'm always worried that if it fails, I have nothingto fall back on except my P&S. By the same token, I also carry a light prime (35 or 50/1.8) just in case the standard zoom goes out of action. Some may call it 'kiasu' but if I'm on a once in a lifetime trip to some exotic location, I'd rather be prepared for the worse. That's just my style and you may have different preferences.

Hi Yatsunil, you are right, if I chose to hold on to the 50D and buy the 16-35, I will end up with 1 body and 3 lenses. I am glad that Chalib agrees, so 5D2 by 12 June. Don't like to carry to many stuff around but with just enough coverage. Many thanks guys.

From what i experienced....travel photogarphy if u wan light and portability u would love something light. Talk abt weight issues FF can be like a dumbbell with lens along.

Weight is not an issue, it is just the number of stuff to carry. I try not to use flash whenever possible and shoot with whatever available light. I guess once you are used to the weight it becomes normal. Cheers

Get the 5D and keep the 50D.

Use the 24-70 on the 5D and see if you are happy with the results, alternatively get 2nd hand 16-35L or a lower spec zoom of similar range. Or try a 24 prime instead to cover the wider end?

Reasons

1. 50D for reach and speed, 5D for wider shots. This also gives you flexibility in which you want to bring out on any given day / trip.

2. 50D prices are dropping as no longer new product + 500D on market with some overlapping features. Might as well keep the 50D, and I am assuming here you are not particularly price sensitive looking at what you own and what you are intending to buy.

I have a 50D and am considering getting a FF as well not to replace but to complement.

If you go for 5D2, you can consider 24-105 f/4.0 instead. With 5D2, high ISO up to 3200 will still give you low noise photos so a slower lens but with a wider FL will be another option.

I have 24-105 and 70-200 2.8 IS with my 5D2 and for the really low light/nice bokeh requirement, I go to 85L.

Hi Nuanda, your comments are indeed ideal. Yes, I did enjoy using the 50D and has no complaints. I guess I just want to streamline the equipments. I have thought of keeping the 50D just as you recommended. My humble opinion is that keeping a lens in a bag and sling a camera when travel is about what I feel comfortable traveling with. A shop offered me S$3499 for the 5D2 body, is it a good deal?

Hi CS, I already got the 24-70. So how is the 5D2?

Hi Nuanda, your comments are indeed ideal. Yes, I did enjoy using the 50D and has no complaints. I guess I just want to streamline the equipments. I have thought of keeping the 50D just as you recommended. My humble opinion is that keeping a lens in a bag and sling a camera when travel is about what I feel comfortable traveling with. A shop offered me S$3499 for the 5D2 body, is it a good deal?

I think CS meant that you get the 24-105 and use on holiday. You get range at the expense of speed but you also can ditch the 70-200 (unless you die die want to bring the 200)

Think the price you quote is about there. see http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5107180&postcount=2

Travelling light - If you don't mind a slower lens Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 is small and light and covers your entire range. pricing helps too. then you can choose one other lens to bring along.

just my personal opinion,
Do you like the range of 36-70 on your 50D? If yes, get a FF 5DII

If you don't mind, get a 16-35. You will end up 3 lenses, but you can leave the 24-70 a side when you don't want bring it out.

just 2 cents

You guys are really cool. I am trying to streamline lenses and body, limiting to the 2 L lenses that I have already been 'married' to and trying to make do with what I have. Did not like the 24-70 on the 50D, too narrow. Would like the 16-35 but can live with 24-70 on full frame. Just trying to control spending on hardware. Guess I have not reach the stage of being a hardcore enthusiast as yet. All points duly noted.

get the 5D2, its a worthwile investment, you will love the bokeh on your 24-70 and 70-200 even more. sell the 50D and get the 16-35 for UWA which is great for travelling. to get an UWA on a budget, try the tamron 17-35 F2.8-4.0. excellent lens for the money. some vigeneting wide open, but is dirt cheap and sharp.

get the FF...

its a lot easier to run around with 2 lens + one body instead of 3 lens.

i find myself sufficiently covered with 5D2+24-105L+70-200L

Hi, S$3499 is really a good deal, is it local set or grey set? and what shop offer you this price?

Sounds to me that you're all set for the full frame experience!

Yes, I believe it is time to go full frame. I am trying to sell of the 50D and get the 5D2 when I am back on 11 June. Will definitely consider the 16-35 at a much later date, spent too much already as all purchased was done in 7 months. In the mean time will just stick with the 2 lenses that I got. It offer I got is for a local set with warranty from Canon Singapore, from a shop in Funan Center where I bought the 50D. Yes, my thoughts exactly. So much easier to have just 2 lenses and a body when traveling. I have read some complaints on the AF of the 5D2, did any of you experience such problems?
Cheers

has anyone thought that it's cheaper to get a 10-22mm for the 50D compared to the 16-35mm or the 5DII options?

Or is it a die die die situation must go "L" or must go FF???

If rich enough to buy everything within 7 months, then no point asking questions. Buy Buy Buy everything.

And i can't imagine travelling with a 70-200 f2.8 IS. Wow..

Yes, go for FF if the price is right, shallower DOF, can take better portrait view by using same lens.

Hi Foveon, great advise. I will be buying the 5D2 on 12 June and will have fun with it. What I am trying to figure out is why ff gives a better DOF that a cropped sensor. I know crop sensor has a 1.6 narrower angle of view but it should not affect the DOF but have read so many reports that ff gives better DOF and bokeh. Guess I will find out very soon.
As for Lost Dog, no one can afford everything. I learn that in every hobby people will always upgrade their equipments whenever they can afford it. I have known of golfers, hi-fi enthusiasts who have been upgrading this or that for extended period of time and end up spending more. Thank you for all your advise and comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.