new lens kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlee12

May 4, 2009
hi! I'm thinking of getting either a canon 500d or 450d body. Which lens is the good replacement for the standard 18-55 IS lens? i'm thinking of getting a secondhand len below sgd300. Any good recommendation?

Thanks.

........the standard non IS lens probably

anyways, for that price, you will find it hard pressed to get anything better than kit lens quality

there are also third party options like sigma 18-55 if i'm not wrong

hi! I'm thinking of getting either a canon 500d or 450d body. Which lens is the good replacement for the standard 18-55 IS lens? i'm thinking of getting a secondhand len below sgd300. Any good recommendation?

Thanks.

if you have not yet gotten the DSLR kit, then do you have a reason for instantly disliking the kit lens? I think it's a useful tool to fall back on for general photography. Unless of course, you want to buy the 17-55 f/2.8 :)
Otherwise, for $300, you might want to consider supplementing the kit lens with another lens that suits your style of photography.
Perhaps a prime lens, or a telephoto zoom, or a macro, or an ultra-wide angle.
The choice is yours!

Save the $300 and use the 18-55 IS kit lens. This lens is good enough for landscape, group photos and streetshooting.

If you must buy something and you have not got the 50f1.8 lens, just buy it. $300 you will still get back half the change.

For telephoto zoom, the 55-250 IS is a good lens. For $300, you can get a 2nd hand set at B&S forum.

eh just get the standard kit lens. it's pretty alright really.

$300.... :think:

Nope..... just stick with the Kit-Lens..... unless you want to just get the 500D/450D body, and use the saving + $300 to get another lens. In that case... maybe Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 :thumbsup:

below 300 bucks then good luck not much out there at that price haha

maybe up your budget a bit and look at an efs 17-85mm or efs 18-200mm

The cheapest kit lens replacement should be Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 ($630).
Since it's out of budget, i suggest you use the kit lens 18-55mm IS first.
The kit lens is not bad actually, google around you will know why.

Maybe save the $300 to invest on a flash?

Oh maybe not, depends on your type of photography. Use your kit lens to as a guide to which you feel more attracted to.

If you are into WA, get the decent (and out of your $300 budget) Canon 10-22mm (whom i a nikonian is so jealous of!), a good external Flash for Indoor Potrait and lastly hard-core long duration shooting..a handy batt grip?

If you think the standard lens that come with it is lousy, that's why people are buying other lens. That's actually wrong.

I'm also a newbie. I bought my 450D with the kit lens. I've got a 50mm and 55-250mm which I seldom use. It all depends on what you are going to shoot. I always have the kit lens on when I go out. It's good for shooting portraits of friends, groups, landscape and even food. I take pictures for my personal blog. The kit lens works great for my use. The only thing about it is the aperture. I still can't bear to buy the 17-55mm f2.8.. So, I'll just stick with the kit lens.

Since you are starting out, you should try with the kit lens. Realise what kind of subject you often shoot. When you can't get what you want from your lens, then you will know what you need to buy.

Some people will think twice about buying efS lens bcos they are not compatible with the full frame camera. As for me, I don't think I would even upgrade to a pro full frame camera. A semi-pro model would be good enough as a hobby. Even if I do upgrade to a pro full frame, it's probably time to change new lens too.. =)

Last edited:
hi! thanks for all the feedback....i think i will stick to the kit lens for the near future :) and probably get a Canon 50mm 1.8 to try out first. Any comment on the 50mm 1.8? :)

me not a Canon user, but i've heard that the 50 1/.8 is a great value-for-money buy.
Do note that because you'll be using it on a 'cropped body', the field of view might or might not be too narrow for your liking.
Try setting your kit lens to 50mm and shooting at that focal range. See if you're comfortable with it.

The Tamron 17-50 is a value buy, but it is out of your budget. 2nd hand usually still selling around 500 -550.
the 50 f1.8 is claim to be the cheapest Canon lens, yet it is a value for money lens. you will start to enjoy the wide aperture of a prime.

But as said by others, it is true that 50 mm on crop body (like 450D / 500D) is a bit narrow.
Yet again, if you never own a DSLR before, you may not know is this 50 mm really narrow to you.

most people will get the 50 1.8 as their first prime. it's cheap, but fast and sharp, great to experiment with

and the kit lens is good btw, so you can stick with it

hi! ok.....set for a 50mm 1.8l to try out first. Thanks. :)

Use the kit lens first, no need to rush into buying the 50mm f1.8 just because people say its value for money.

If you find that you need a faster lens after using the kit lens, then perhaps consider the 50 f.8.

i don't own a 50mm lens
because i don't usually shoot at that focal lenght

so, use your kit lens first and then decide on how and what you shoot before deciding on what else to BBB

Status
Not open for further replies.