New Kit lens w/ weather sealing ... DA 18-55 AL WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
Source from Pentaxforum:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...2-great-news-da-18-55-wr-kit-lens-come-4.html

Pentax representatives has officially stated in interviews that Pentax will release a new lens serie with the same optical design as the current serie. Now, why release a new lens serie without optical changes, and what changes are made in those new lenses if the changes are not to the optics?

Answer is simple - the new lens serie will have weather sealing and improved in-lens autofocus motors for the improved AF in the new and coming bodies. No optical changes because it would cost too much to change the optics, it does not cost really as much - and does not take as long time doing - to add weather sealing to existing lenses.

Of course those new lenses needs a new name in order to avoid confusing with the existing serie.

A 18-55 II with weather sealing is a logical choice, it will also match the weather sealed new in-between camera - the camera in-between the new K-7 and the existing K-m. And it will bring down the price of the new K-7.

The K-m has the DA L-lenses, without weather sealing.
The new and coming weather sealed lenses will match the new and coming weather sealed bodies well.

The 18-55 is just the beginning. I'm confident that the 17-70 will be updated soon with weather sealing also, and with improved in-lens AF for the enhance functionality in the new K-7.

For the 18-55 II, adding SDM might be too much of a job.

It will of course take some time for Pentax to add weather sealing to existing lenses, and they will not add weather sealing to all of them.

No weather sealing to the Limiteds, and no SDM to them.

I see the 55-300, new 18-250 zoom, and 12-24 as the most logic candidates to be released in updated versions after the new 18-55 and 17-70.

Oh, the 30 f/1.4 will come - it was removed from the roadmap beacuse it isn't part of the current DA or DA Star lens serie. It is part of the new WR and SDM serie. Name as yet unknown.

3515911707_1fc9ddb205_o.jpg

Though I really think I won't be going to shooting much in drizzling condition, it will be really helpful when the weather turns bad (suddenly) ... just like this morning, sun's shining and it's CAT 1!!

And it also spells better constructed Kit Lens than all its competitors. Hopefully it's not just the DA 18-55 II, but the 50-200 as well! Way to go, Pentax!

Luckily the limiteds are not affected.

Though I really think I won't be going to shooting much in drizzling condition, it will be really helpful when the weather turns bad (suddenly) ... just like this morning, sun's shining and it's CAT 1!!

And it also spells better constructed Kit Lens than all its competitors. Hopefully it's not just the DA 18-55 II, but the 50-200 as well! Way to go, Pentax!

I suppose the whole of Singapore was raining this morning. I was out at the Chinese Garden before 7am, then went home at 8am. It started pouring soon after ... I wouldn't want to test out my DA* lens for rainworthiness though.

Yeah, it was sunshine at my place this morning and when on my way to Botanic Garden it was raining that side.:(

I suppose the whole of Singapore was raining this morning. I was out at the Chinese Garden before 7am, then went home at 8am. It started pouring soon after ... I wouldn't want to test out my DA* lens for rainworthiness though.

No need to test lah, the DA* are proven so just use it. :bsmilie:

... I wouldn't want to test out my DA* lens for rainworthiness though.

Chicken! :bsmilie:
I thought that was the best way to clean the DA* lenses...

On a serious note, just wondering if the new range will have Quick Shift still.

Last edited:
Chicken! :bsmilie:
I thought that was the best way to clean the DA* lenses...

On a serious note, just wondering if the new range will have Quick Shift still.

To be honest, I don't use QS that often. Oh wait, I guess it's because I don't have many DA lenses :bsmilie:

Oh, the 30 f/1.4 will come - it was removed from the roadmap beacuse it isn't part of the current DA or DA Star lens serie. It is part of the new WR and SDM serie. Name as yet unknown.

Interesting. Rival to the FA 31? And the cost? :think:

I see the 55-300, new 18-250 zoom, and 12-24 as the most logic candidates to be released in updated versions after the new 18-55 and 17-70.

Oh please please DA 11-16/2.8 SDM WR

WR.... good to have, but i still won't shoot in the rain...:bsmilie:

anyway the prime lens are getting very close... DA14mm, DA15mm, DA21mm, DA30mm,FA31mm, DA35mm,FA43m,FA50mm, DA55mm, FA77mm... so many lenses :confused: ...

i wish they have an update on the tele zoom... the 50-135 is just too short..., 60-250 is too expensive and slow... pls revive the 80-200mm;p

i wish they would make a 100-400mm weather sealed zoom lens.

if it happen it will be very very expensive...

Well, the tokina 11-16 is about 1k. 1.5k is probably the maximum I would pay for a Pentax DA* version.

Status
Not open for further replies.