New kind of trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
Got a chinese sms but cannot type here as a prove. Whoever want to see, can PM me and I give you via sms.

What is happening is that I got an sms saying that i won 80k in USD and ask me to call back this number : 008613786056454

So long number and if I made the call, it will be under starhub 008 liao. Should I make a police report or call up any hotline? If they think they could trick me into it, why not make it 500k? :bsmilie:

first thing you ask yourself , have you ever join any contest or lucky draw that offer the prize money of 80k.

If your answer to the above is no .

Time to ditch the sms .

Or just called the hotline .

arowana said:
first thing you ask yourself , have you ever join any contest or lucky draw that offer the prize money of 80k.

If your answer to the above is no .

Time to ditch the sms .

Or just called the hotline .

Will keep the sms as prove. :devil:

My friend recieved similar message.. something about China WTO celebration promo.. correct?

SMS the person back, say that you just picked up the phone, is it still ok to call back and claim the prize :D

BBTM said:
Got a chinese sms but cannot type here as a prove. Whoever want to see, can PM me and I give you via sms.

What is happening is that I got an sms saying that i won 80k in USD and ask me to call back this number : 008613786056454

So long number and if I made the call, it will be under starhub 008 liao. Should I make a police report or call up any hotline? If they think they could trick me into it, why not make it 500k? :bsmilie:

I think this appeared on news few days ago. A reporter called up about the 80K thingy. If I am not wrong this number should be from China as this is a China mobile number not Starhub.

deslim27 said:
My friend recieved similar message.. something about China WTO celebration promo.. correct?

Yup. Seem like a lot of ppl going to have that sms soon. :think:

espn said:
SMS the person back, say that you just picked up the phone, is it still ok to call back and claim the prize :D

You sms back n see whether u got the 80k n u can BBB liao ;P

this was on local TV before. can't remember what was the details, something like you need to send US$500 or something.

This was on the news on Channel 8 and Channel U 2 nights ago.

My chinese is not that good, but the following is per my understanding of the news report.

A lady got the same SMS message, she reported to the police and Mediacorp interviewed her.

Asked her to call the number back. Seems like the person, a lady on the other end is in China and is asking her to remit US$8K first so that they can claim the prize money for her.

This lady then asked the China lady if she could offset the US$8K from the US$80K prize money. The China lady said cannot, as she need cash remittance to claim the prize.

The matter is with the police who are investigating.

teerex said:
This was on the news on Channel 8 and Channel U 2 nights ago.

My chinese is not that good, but the following is per my understanding of the news report.

A lady got the same SMS message, she reported to the police and Mediacorp interviewed her.

Asked her to call the number back. Seems like the person, a lady on the other end is in China and is asking her to remit US$8K first so that they can claim the prize money for her.

This lady then asked the China lady if she could offset the US$8K from the US$80K prize money. The China lady said cannot, as she need cash remittance to claim the prize.

The matter is with the police who are investigating.
yah.. that's the one.

Yes it's the same case that was reported on news few days back.

Yes it's the same case that was reported on chinese paper few weeks back.

even if nobody reported before, would you believe it? :bsmilie:

As usual, there's NO free lunch in the world.

However, if I do recieve SMS saying Nikon's giving out D2X free tomorrow, I will still go to the Nikon there and queue overnight :bsmilie:

espn said:
As usual, there's NO free lunch in the world.

However, if I do recieve SMS saying Nikon's giving out D2X free tomorrow, I will still go to the Nikon there and queue overnight :bsmilie:

Gimme your mobile number, I can spare one SMS to humor you for a night...I like to make people happy...;)

its just another scam from the pathetic mainlanders...

cookiez said:
its just another scam from the pathetic mainlanders...

Eh I think it's not fair to target towards the mainlanders only.

There are scams everywhere in this world. Even in Orchard where those young youths will pretend to take some survey or if you check thru internet auctions...like Yahoo and Ebay.......as well.

There are many ways to scam people. This is just one of those methods.

This shows how greedy people can be......and fall for it.

Will these mainlanders be as gulliable as those Nigerian scammers?
If so, i can get them to take photos of themselves with signs liao hahahaa

www.419eater.com
:devil:

i also got the same sms on 28/5/05 at 22:10hr.

Might be going china,maybe can meet up to collect myself. :devil:

zaxh81 said:
i also got the same sms on 28/5/05 at 22:10hr.

Might be going china,maybe can meet up to collect myself. :devil:

Mine is +8613438091711
But if make the call, since it is started with 008, we will be using starhub IDD service. This kind of people, should be throw into jail or :hung: them ;p What if a innocent victim kenna tricked? :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.