new kid on board.. who has the best value-added basic course..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannacuppa

Oct 5, 2008
hi everyone.. i am taking my first step into photography.. not even have a camera yet.. sourcing around for a courses.. anyone any good suggestions?

i found the following..

1. knowledgebowl - $250 10 sessions
2. photo society of singapore (pss) - $240 12 sessions
3. black box - $250 8 sessions

anyone care to share? not the $$$ comparsion pls.. but the quality.. thx folks!

hi everyone.. i am taking my first step into photography.. not even have a camera yet.. sourcing around for a courses.. anyone any good suggestions?

i found the following..

1. knowledgebowl - $250 10 sessions
2. photo society of singapore (pss) - $240 12 sessions
3. black box - $250 8 sessions

anyone care to share? not the $$$ comparsion pls.. but the quality.. thx folks!

Eh,value added is an ambiguous term. :) Is stretching the classroom hours considered value added? What abt the teacher giving u extra tips out of the course structure or spoon feed you with notes? :think: I would suggest not signing up for lessons yet.

May i suggest that after u buy your camera,read the camera manual to understand how your system works, borrow books from the library, shoot shoot shoot, practice,experiment, do a search on CS when you have doubts and if you can't find an answer to ur questions, post questions on the forum. From these methods, you can learn alot and it's FOC too. :)

Last edited:
check this out

go to www.pa.gov.sg and do a search on photography.

a few cc offer such courses at a very reasonable rate

Last edited:
Well, I took the course from PSS. Personally, I feel that it is good for newbie to go for basic course that can speed up the learning curve. Of course, it does not mean that by going to courses, a newbie can turn professional after that. It still need to take practice to perfect the skill.

Advantages for taking course
1) I know that it would take me half a year to learn the basic if I learn alone but by taking course, I learned so much faster. It will shorten the learning curve.
2) There are professional instructors to mentor or consult. You can ask the instructors anything you do not understand while the book cannot give you an immediate answer.
3) You will find new friends who have the same interest in photographing and can arrange outing for photo shooting.
4) it will arouse your interest in photographing as you start to know more about it. When you try to learn alone, you might lose interest if you still cannot understand it after sometimes.
5) You will learned the correct way of shooting from instructors. If self-learned, it is difficult to know what is right or wrong.

Now, I am enjoying myself in shooting as I had learned the basic skills from the course and now I am trying to brush up and fine tuning my skill. I learned alot from the course which I think I would not know so much if I learned by myself. This is just my personal thinking. Well, some people can self learned and still take good pictures so there is no right or wrong decision on taking courses. Some people have creative eyes for photo therefore they can take good pictures while some people like me who do not have the creative eyes can be trained. Now, I can see the difference before and after the course effect for the pictures that I took.

Hope that my thoughts about the advantage of taking course can help you to decide if you want to take courses. So it is up to you to decide.

my view is

DIY course most value added. $0, pure effort and visitations to the library. greater sense of achievement at the end, as well as a self-formulated concept of what photography is.

my view is
DIY course most value added. $0, pure effort and visitations to the library. greater sense of achievement at the end, as well as a self-formulated concept of what photography is.

AGREED!
If TS really finds it frustrating to read from books, just join one of the Clubsnap newbie photography outings. That way you also meet people with similar interests, and can learn and share information with each other.
If you go for photography lessons with zero or minimal knowledge of photography, it can also be quite frustrating. A lot of the terms won't make sense.

Steps to learning
1) Buy a camera (2nd hand if budget concerns).
2) Read the user manual a little, so you know what each button does.
3) Try shooting some pictures with different settings, and see what the outcome is.
4) Ask for help on Clubsnap.
5) Join newbie outings.

If TS really finds it frustrating to read from books, just join one of the Clubsnap newbie photography outings. That way you also meet people with similar interests, and can learn and share information with each other.

that is a good point, just make sure you stay focused and don't end up doing "guy things" like shooting models badly together.. or engage in rampant gearheadism :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.