New K30 vs pre-owned K5.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
In terms of buffer capacity and AF accuracy as well as focusing speed with DA* 50-135, any significant differences?

Also for both, how high iso can use before even noise ninja cannot help.

Thanks.

K30 > K5 confirm double confirm. ISO about the same. But AF is slightly faster n more accurate.

Last edited:
K30 > K5 confirm double confirm. ISO about the same. But AF is slightly faster n more accurate.

Thanks. Sold a few pics from last week Atletico Madrid match so planning to retire my K20D and get a new workhorse.

K30 for me too..Can even AF in this kind of lightings,when my old K5 is not able or will mis focus or lock at wrong focusing

8562860152_fb468ac5b5_c.jpg

K-5 have better buffer during continuous shooting if that matters...

vote for k5, prefer the build quality,shutter sound, handling + longer battery life.
AF w k30 + 50-135 in low light works, but slow(tend to hesitate abit).
In bright daylight AF is indeed slightly faster, compared to the k5ii(same as k5)?

Otherwise both are good choices! But the glossy finish on k30 turns me off

vote for k5, prefer the build quality,shutter sound, handling + longer battery life.
In bright daylight AF is indeed slightly faster, compared to the k5ii(same as k5)?

The official black colour is matt. The Japan version is glossy.

But then the K5 + 50-135 in low light work and is it faster and not hesitating? just interested to know as for me oversea in low light the k30 is more responsive and more accurate too,lock focus better as well but tried with Fa77 though for me

But the glossy blue color turn me ON! hehehe

But then the K5 + 50-135 in low light work and is it faster and not hesitating? just interested to know as for me oversea in low light the k30 is more responsive and more accurate too,lock focus better as well but tried with Fa77 though for me

But the glossy blue color turn me ON! hehehe

k-5 in good light is good, but have issues when it becomes dark. I believe k-30 works better in bad lighting conditions...

K5 is DEFINITELY better...

When the pre-owned price hits $500 max that is.. ;)

Ouch for us k-5 users

Hehee!! :p

Those who have, no issues ler... But we all know that technology is progressing so fast, sooner or later, camera bodies are meant to "last" for 1 year only.. LoL!

Vote k30, better re-sale value , as k5 is in price dropping period, like what happens to k7 before,

K30 holds its value better currently

Owned the K5 in the past, currently, using the K30.

In terms of buffer capacity, I can't comment much. I seldom use at this mode. I felt both are about the same.

AF accuracy, it seems quite similar in good light condition. But when it come to low light or bad lighting condition, the K30 did well. K5 does not give me confidence that I could rely on its auto focus.. Normally, I like to shoot the concert at Esplanade, using the FA77 or FA85, with K5, I need to manual focus during the concert, K30, I tends to rely on the AF. I do not have any DA* lens, so can't comment on it.

I will say go for the K30 for the value of money, live view advantages over K5 also...

Only I felt is the battery life, K5 is still the best.

I currently have both K5 and K30. The K5 hunts in low light and I need to use MF but with the K30 in low light, the AF works wonderfully. It does not hunt but gets its subject in one go.

Vote k30, better re-sale value , as k5 is in price dropping period, like what happens to k7 before,

K30 holds its value better currently

Like that canon nikon has better re-sale value, no need to buy pentax then

does the camera look also relevant?
k5 looks more pro, it suits pro photographer better ;)
indeed K5 is semi-pro level. k30 is mid-entry level only.

Never had the k5... but upgraded from k-x to k30.

K30 is a superb camera. WR and fast focus with awesome optical results

No complaints at all

Go get it!

K5 takes a battery grip. When you put it on interval shooting for high multiple shots (eg. to merge a set of star trials) then you're gonna need the extra juice that the battery grip provides. I have both and i like the K-30 for travel bec its light.

TS why not consider the K5IIs?