New Job Old Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieldburt

Sep 9, 2005
Feels weird posting this here, but since i saw many non-camera related posts here, so here goes:

Found a new job which I decided to take on after a considerable amt of time (pay better, prospects better). So decided to drop the bombshell on my boss and resign todae with the standard 1 month notice. He was quite surprised (read shocked:bigeyes:). Was trying to pursuade me to put off taking on the new job until I am done with my "un-finished" projects. (ya, i noe, sounds weird) Coming from an SME, I am the only person currently handling this project and it will not be expected to finish until another 5-6 months. Strange as it sounds, I feel really really bad about this, and felt very irresponsible. This is my first job, and I have been here for quite a while. A more tactful approach would be to sound him out that I intend to quit soon, but it didn't occur to me at that time, cos nothing is confirmed and how would I know wat will become of his perspective of me if i end up not quiting afterall.

So guys, either my boss is very pursuasive or I am simply right.... I am just plain irresponsible.

Have yet to confirm the other side yet (just short of handing in the appt letter) so what can I do to make both sides happy?

Find job difficult, quit job also difficult.... :cry:

Hope more experienced job hoppers here can give some constructive advise. :what:

Cheers

If you already told your current boss, then staying will not be good. Your boss will know you plan on leaving and not trust you so much anymore.

I understand that it feels bad, but the best thing to do is be open and honest with your current boss and tell him why you're unhappy and want to move on. In the end, the most important person to consider is yourself.

If you have decided to move on, the responsible thing is to ensure a smooth transition. If there is an appointed person taking over your projects, provide the necssary documentation and information for the incoming person.

You do not want to let your future employer think that you are indecisive.

did your old boss match or better the new job's pay?

did your old boss match or better the new job's pay?
Tks all for the comments.
Whether he did or not is irrelavent. My issue is more on what I should do so tat I will not leave on bad terms.

I agree with sillyme, so I offered to come back to aid in the transition in any way that I can, whenever I can, if he could not find a replacment by the time I started work on the other side. Unfortunately, he doesn't buy that and still feels sore abt the whole thing. Wished I could do more and therefore this post ... :(

i noe many might think I am being unnecessarily concerned abt this, but as much as possible, I would like to leave on a good note. Hope to get some suggestions to elevate this awkward circumstance.

sometimes, it is not possible to make everyone happy. if your boss is the reasonable, mature type, he would understand & wish you the best. after all, you are leaving current job to obtain something he cannot offer you, right? so, why should he be upset?

and, don't make the mistake of staying on for the wrong reasons. feeling guilty is definitely one of them. don't be too proud/arrogant to think the project/company will fail without you. you'd be surprised by the resilience of the human spirit & human creativity.

think for your own future, just as your boss/company will think for its own future -- in a downturn, they will similarly give you a 1 month notice period too, whether you have another job waiting for you or not...

I don't know if I'm in a worse situation. I am the most experienced person at the place I work and lead a team of 40 staff. I'm about 1 week away from signing that letter. 2nd interview tomorrow.

I'm going to tell my boss, prepare all the handover, suggest who my replacement should be, and start briefing them fully before I leave.

Tks all for the comments.
Whether he did or not is irrelavent. My issue is more on what I should do so tat I will not leave on bad terms.

I agree with sillyme, so I offered to come back to aid in the transition in any way that I can, whenever I can, if he could not find a replacment by the time I started work on the other side. Unfortunately, he doesn't buy that and still feels sore abt the whole thing. Wished I could do more and therefore this post ... :(

i noe many might think I am being unnecessarily concerned abt this, but as much as possible, I would like to leave on a good note. Hope to get some suggestions to elevate this awkward circumstance.

there is never a good time to leave...if u decided to go, should tell your boss that you had signed the agreement with the new place and have to honor that...

let me share with u, if u play the new place out and your industry is small, your new place HR will black list u. next time u wanna move around will be difficult. HR officers do share info with each other.

hence, be diplomatic with your old boss and never reveal this problem to your new boss cos he might think that u r playing punk and asking for more pay or perks.

good luck...:)

has your company agree to let u go? if so, they should have look for a replacement and arrange for someone to takeover you. dont let him bully u into feeling guilty. i know some boss like to squeeze ppl more when they r leaving.. as in give more work or new project to hold them back..

experience something before. 2 days before my last day, my boss ask me to start on a new project! either he want me to work OT for last 2 days or he wan 'blackmail' me to stay longer. i tell him kindly that i will not be able to finish it within 2 days. haha

Just move on. After a while your ex-boss won't even remember who you are.

why feel bad? there is never a good time to leave, who know after u completed the current project after 5-6 months, there will be no new project. and who know, in the mist of yr 5-6 months, u are tasked to take on another project that will last u another 5-6 months?

as long as u have given the one month notice as stated in your agreement with the company, i don't see it as a "leaving-on-bad-term".

it is not about loyalty to the company or not. but ask yrself this question, during bad times, yr boss want to fire you, will he wait for u to find another job before asking u to leave? maybe he will just say, i give u one month notice as stated on yr letter of appointment.

I don't know if I'm in a worse situation. I am the most experienced person at the place I work and lead a team of 40 staff. I'm about 1 week away from signing that letter. 2nd interview tomorrow.

I'm going to tell my boss, prepare all the handover, suggest who my replacement should be, and start briefing them fully before I leave.

Not easy to give him the letter. After I've worked for more than 8 years and to drop the bomb on my boss is quite hard. Luckily the boss understands and gave me blessing.
After 3 years on the new job, never look back and enjoying new career and once a while, I will call out my ex-colleagues for lunch.

I will give the same advice as the rest. Just go, but leave the current workplace properly ie. do a good handover.

It is very important to have everything documented, and ensure that whoever is taking over you, sign a handover/takeover document, keep a copy for yourself.

Also bear in mind that, the person who leaves the company almost always gets the blame if something goes wrong. If that happens, don't feel bad about it, it's just the way it is.... that's why it is important that you do a proper handover and have everything in writing, that way, nobody can go back to 'blame' you for things that you do or did not do. You're also protecting yourself.

This is just the first of the many job changes that will come your way in your career paths... so learn from this.

Good luck and all the best in your new job!!

hi ... u mentioned 2nd interview .. is it true 2nd interview is likely that u are "almost there.. "

Wow, so many responses.... tks bros...

Yup, all I wanted is to leave with everything handed over properly. Problem is, I am the only one responsible for the work I am doing now, and to get someone to pick things up from me within a month's time is highly unlikely.

I have asked the other side if he minds if I continue to handle some outstanding matters even when my new term starts. Lucky for me, the new employer is very understanding and says as long as it does not affect the new job, I may. So now onus is for me to handle both sides properly. Nevertheless, priority will be on the new side. Thats as much as I can offer to my current boss. I am also preparing the handover documents as suggested above and listed a bunch of instructions for different scenerios a.l.a "jin ngan" 锦囊 (pardon my chinese)

Anyway, tks for all who responded to my dilemma.... I hope this works out. We will know in 2 months time.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.