New in Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.
well....try them out at a shop? I don't think rental companies bother torent extension tubes. sorry there :sweat:

what an idiot!!! thanks for your reminder! that will save me money...heehee. any shop to recommend? thanks

I have both N and C tube as well as reverse mount for N, if you want to try, you may come and try it in front of me -- it is free!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

my C tube comes with AF confirm
N tube not, but not necessary as I am using a split screen or a Dx comes with AF confirm function.:bsmilie:again!

woohoo!!! wonderfully explained. many thanks again. if you are organising any macro outings. let me know. would love the chance to learn from your goodself!!!

more questions, heehee.

1. how about these combination?
extension tubes + canon 100mm + close up filter (e.g. 500D) = super duper extreme macro? so close can see shrimp's poo parasite!!! (buahahaha)

2. does stacking up a few extension tubes together shorten my shooting distance?

3. i have a 70-200mm, assume i can use this lens (as a replacement of 100mm macro) to try oiut first right? but shooting distance might be a bit far correct?

cheers!

Hahaa aiyo bro.. I'm only a 15yo kid, I don't organise meetings cos gotta study leh :p

@ #1 - LINK - You will get something similar to the 3:1 shots here. 3x magnification. It's the MP-E 65mm lens, a manual focus only 1:1 to 5:1 canon lens that is crazy good if you know how to use.. unfortunately, I haven't ever shot with such a gem before ;) Also quite scared to go so close to wild spiders la.. haha..

@ #2 - Yes, so maybe you stack a 12mm ext tube alone, your MinFocusDistance goes from 30 to 23cm, put another 25mm then it'll go down somemore.. Keep adding till you have a MFD that you like.

@ #3 - There are many users who use the 70-200 + 500D closeup macro. Search around on the forum / online ba.. I know Tangshooter Falconite (here on clubsnap) uses it from time-to-time.

Cheers
Zexun

Hahaa aiyo bro.. I'm only a 15yo kid, I don't organise meetings cos gotta study leh :p

@ #1 - LINK - You will get something similar to the 3:1 shots here. 3x magnification. It's the MP-E 65mm lens, a manual focus only 1:1 to 5:1 canon lens that is crazy good if you know how to use.. unfortunately, I haven't ever shot with such a gem before ;) Also quite scared to go so close to wild spiders la.. haha..

@ #2 - Yes, so maybe you stack a 12mm ext tube alone, your MinFocusDistance goes from 30 to 23cm, put another 25mm then it'll go down somemore.. Keep adding till you have a MFD that you like.

@ #3 - There are many users who use the 70-200 + 500D closeup macro. Search around on the forum / online ba.. I know Tangshooter Falconite (here on clubsnap) uses it from time-to-time.

Cheers
Zexun

excellent!!! 15-yr old and know so much. wish i'm so into photography when young. anyway, thanks so much for your help and explaination. truly appreciate. cheers

Hi peeps, my experience is as in the thread title: "New in Macro". In fact i am quite new in photography. I am taking some basic course in photography. Anyways, i scoured thru the forum trying to find out more about Macro photography...the know-hows and what not. I read about the Raynox DCR-250, saw the pics some guys here posted and went ahead to order a piece. For the record, i am using a ZLR (Panasonic FZ 50). I've got a couple of questions:

1) Is the Raynox DCR-250 a macro filter or macro lens?

2) I have a UV filter on my lens, so do i attached the DCR-250 on top of it or do i have to take out the UV filter?

3) In my kind of setup, lets say if i wanna take a close-up pic of a diamond ring, is there a "standard" focal length to achieve optimal result? or is it relative? means it depends on whether how far i wanna be from the subject?

4) Can the DCR-250 be use in Auto focus mode or must it be manual?

Anyone can help to enlighten me? Thanx alot!:)

Hi peeps, my experience is as in the thread title: "New in Macro". In fact i am quite new in photography. I am taking some basic course in photography. Anyways, i scoured thru the forum trying to find out more about Macro photography...the know-hows and what not. I read about the Raynox DCR-250, saw the pics some guys here posted and went ahead to order a piece. For the record, i am using a ZLR (Panasonic FZ 50). I've got a couple of questions:

2) I have a UV filter on my lens, so do i attached the DCR-250 on top of it or do i have to take out the UV filter?

3) In my kind of setup, lets say if i wanna take a close-up pic of a diamond ring, is there a "standard" focal length to achieve optimal result? or is it relative? means it depends on whether how far i wanna be from the subject?

Anyone can help to enlighten me? Thanx alot!:)

Macro Filter

It's entirely up to you. I have used the DCR250 on top of my UV filter and it doesn't degrade the pic quality.

With the DCR250, your focus distance is fixed at ard 10-12cm.

Can be used in auto focus mode but you must move your camera until the image is relatively sharp and in focus and then use the auto focus function to get the accurate focus.

Macro Filter

It's entirely up to you. I have used the DCR250 on top of my UV filter and it doesn't degrade the pic quality.

With the DCR250, your focus distance is fixed at ard 10-12cm.

Can be used in auto focus mode but you must move your camera until the image is relatively sharp and in focus and then use the auto focus function to get the accurate focus.

WOW! thats a fast reply. Hey thanx teebs, will try it out. i hope i can end up with beautiful macro shots like you guys. Oh, another thing, i read that mos, if not all macro shots are done with diffusers, is it a must have for now? what are my options if i do not wanna DIY one now..does wrapping my pop-up flash with tissue paper help?

haha! i'll never forgot the eyeshot you took :D

I think if you disregard movement, photos you take with a 100mm macro'll be very useable. However, if the little critters move about too much... you could kill them with ethanol then photograph them :) (ok...you may object to killing them :sweat:)

and did you say lightings not an issue? hohoho :devil: you may need a flash cable of sth cos using an external flash mounted on the camera isn't gonna do much good. the light simply can't reach to a subject <10cm in front of the lens

NO problems, Buy this http://www.suntax.com.sg/MacroRingRF18AF.html :thumbsup:
RingFlash Cheap and good.

WOW! thats a fast reply. Hey thanx teebs, will try it out. i hope i can end up with beautiful macro shots like you guys. Oh, another thing, i read that mos, if not all macro shots are done with diffusers, is it a must have for now? what are my options if i do not wanna DIY one now..does wrapping my pop-up flash with tissue paper help?

Yes, a diffuser is a must have for macro shots. You can wrap your pop up flash with tissue paper for the time being but just use 1 layer(ply) of the tissue paper. :)

wow.. active discussion.
TS, sorry to hijack your thread... but still on macro Question:

I'm using a Nikon VR 18 - 105, can i convert this to a macro setup too?
If so, wat do i need?

Yes, a diffuser is a must have for macro shots. You can wrap your pop up flash with tissue paper for the time being but just use 1 layer(ply) of the tissue paper. :)

or you can use this:

3153_84934297785_557007785_2479570_226647_n.jpg

Looks cool!:thumbsup:

must have??

I don't necessarily think so... I shoot primarily without any diffusers for all my macro shots.

wow.. active discussion.
TS, sorry to hijack your thread... but still on macro Question:

I'm using a Nikon VR 18 - 105, can i convert this to a macro setup too?
If so, wat do i need?

You just need a close up filter to attach to your lens. Raynox DCR250 would be a good choice or you could get a +10 macro filter which could be cheaper than the Raynox.

must have??

I don't necessarily think so... I shoot primarily without any diffusers for all my macro shots.

A diffuser is useful to soften the shadows though in some cases, you could actually dial down your flash EV to reduce the power of your flash and get the same effect without using a diffuser. :)

F_Enzo (Sayyiam) used to take macros without a diffuser. His setup was a tripod mounted D200 + 2 flashes.

Tchuanye is using a mounted flash with diffuser + a slave flash with diffuser for his macros.

There are again other people who swear by available light macros. So they never use a flash at all.

So there is actually no right or wrong way to take macros. Just use whatever method that gives you the best pics...:bsmilie:

Thanks guys for sharing all your in depth knowledge, I am now reeling from information overload.....will try it all out when I get half a chamce. :thumbsup:

You just need a close up filter to attach to your lens. Raynox DCR250 would be a good choice or you could get a +10 macro filter which could be cheaper than the Raynox.

hokays.. thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.