New in clubsnap, greenhorn in camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astroboy77

May 20, 2009
Hi guys

I'm very new into clubsnap and very very the greenhorn in camera..

Therefore here i am looking into buying my first dslr camera... but i duno which brand or model to look into.. haiz..

care to advice?? sorry i too lazy to go thru the other thread to find out which brand or model is good.. hahaha... paiseh har...

Hello...welcome.

As I have mentioned here many times, all entry level cams, regardless of brands are able to yield decent images if used within their limitations.

Go do some research on the strength and weakness of each brand and get something you're comfortable with, both physically & financially.

care to advice?? sorry i too lazy to go thru the other thread to find out which brand or model is good.. hahaha... paiseh har...
how can you be too lazy to make your own choices?

i suggest:

1) going to review sites like dpreview and imaging resource, spend some time reading through the various dslr reviews, get an idea of what level of camera you want, because there are pricing and feature differences, note the pros and cons mentioned

2) check out the pricing here in clubsnap, the new models will have the pricing available

3) then go to the shops, and try, see how you like the camera, they will have test units, if you do not like the feel and how the camera controls are laid out, this will determine the rest of the choice for you

4) make the informed buy

that is the best way to select the best camera for yourself, and it does not involve being lazy

Actually after going to thru wat u guys say and seen the selling thread of nikon.. i tot of narrow down to buying nikon.. well then down to budget wise. i only have abt 500 bucks to spend.. so i dun think i will be able to get a nikon camera w lens ba.. am i right???

what type of camera are u looking at? Point-n-Shoot or DSLR?
with your $500 budget, it could be a PnS camera I think...
and what model is that?

Well im looking at getting dslr. of course not first hand lah.. tot of getting a 2nd hand one to use first...

good luck... hope u will get one for your budget..

Actually after going to thru wat u guys say and seen the selling thread of nikon.. i tot of narrow down to buying nikon.. well then down to budget wise. i only have abt 500 bucks to spend.. so i dun think i will be able to get a nikon camera w lens ba.. am i right???

May I know based on what you narrow down to Nikon and what are the strengths and weaknesses of Nikon?

You may still be able to get an old Nikon DSLR with $500 but if you not know what you are into or not ready for a DSLR, I would suggest that you get a prosumer/bridge camera first.

oh bridge camera.. ok will go read n understand abt it.. thanks for the advice...

Anyway tot of wanted to try a dslr camera .. guess i still got long way to go....................;p

Just get one which fits your budget and you feel comfortable with. All brands got their Pros and Cons. Anyway welcome to CS!

Frankly i would prefer for you to save up and purchase a good entry level dslr, me too a newbie here and i used to have difficulties choosing a good dslr for me..., as my budget is very low i decided to save up and wait for a new released dslr and eventually 500D came up and my budget is just right for it so i purchase it and im very happy with it...Pns is also a good camera to start with coz good photos comes from good photographers and not from a good camera...my advise is you save up and when the time comes u know what to do..

oh bridge camera.. ok will go read n understand abt it.. thanks for the advice...

Anyway tot of wanted to try a dslr camera .. guess i still got long way to go....................;p

ya... agreed...! LOoooooooNG way to go.
Maybe hang out with those friends who own DSLRs, and ask them lots and lots of questions about what photography involves, and maybe also the pros and cons of their particular brand of equipment. Then you can make a more informed choice.

good luck bro. but a dslr within 500 bucks is hard to get. and even more if it includes a lens. try your best. and good to have you here:).

Pentax K10D in the Pentax BnS goes for ~$650. Check it out yourself.
You'd probably find a 2nd hand DSLR in that range in the other BnS sections as well.

If you have a budget in mind, then work within it.

I initially started out with a prosumer. A Fuji S5700. Got it for around 200+ bucks. Used it for a year, understood all the basics, and then finally went onto DSLR.

And when you buy a DSLR, always remember that you are buying into a system, not just the camera.

Lastly, never be lazy and not do your research, cos it would either make you ...
1. Regret your purchases because they fail to meet your expectations (i.e. waste money)
2. Overpay on (future) purchases (e.g. Go to some funny shop and get a funny quoted price without first checking the info on CS)
3. Purchase unnecessary items

All in all, welcome to CS.

If you have a budget in mind, then work within it.

I initially started out with a prosumer. A Fuji S5700. Got it for around 200+ bucks. Used it for a year, understood all the basics, and then finally went onto DSLR.

And when you buy a DSLR, always remember that you are buying into a system, not just the camera.

Lastly, never be lazy and not do your research, cos it would either make you ...
1. Regret your purchases because they fail to meet your expectations (i.e. waste money)
2. Overpay on (future) purchases (e.g. Go to some funny shop and get a funny quoted price without first checking the info on CS)
3. Purchase unnecessary items

All in all, welcome to CS.

excellent advices there.

Being frank $500 to start a DSLR journey is tough :sweat:
Advice is to Googles what are the necessary accessories that need to buy w/ DSLR (eg dry cabinet, etc)

Dun get caught midway, after you bought ur DSLR but can't get the pic u wanted due to the lack of accessories.
Remember, DSLR is not a PnS where you only buy the body & fullstop.
You need to buy a whole system to make it shine

i think 2nd hand DSLR should be easy to search. Maybe try, Canon 350D with kitlen, Nikon D40 with kitlen. or maybe save a hundred or two to get the New Canon1000D with kitlen.

Since u have a photography friend, i suggest buying the system that ur frens use. more fun to exchange lens. more important, the camera must feel good at ur hand. And are u ready yet to brings bulky camera with u? if not, then P&S will do.
Choose wisely.:thumbsup:

Not that tough.

2nd hand d70 is around $400 with 18-55 around $80-$120 . TS can get it at $500.

wheter he is informed about how d70 performs is another story. Ultimately, i still feel d70 is a great camera to learn and begin with despite its age and noise

wow... so happy there so many of u to give me alot of advice.... thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.