New here!

Cyrus1988

Aug 3, 2010
Hello dear CS members.

I am new here and currently taking up photography since my secondary school times playing with SLR. Decided to take up photography again as I am going exchange and is a good chance for me to take down memories there.

I am currently using a 500D with a 15-85mm and is loving my camera! haha.

As I am new and still trying out. I got a question here as I don't really understand the USM system. As it is said, my lens comes with ring USM(if I am not wrong) and is able to change the focusing after pressing half-way on the shutter button.

I tried doing that by focusing on an object and changing the focus to another while half-pressing my shutter button. However the camera auto help me focus back to my initial object. Just want to confirm. I am using the function wrongly right? hahaa.

If this is not the way to use this function, what is? just curious about it. Thanks!

Hello dear CS members.

I am new here and currently taking up photography since my secondary school times playing with SLR. Decided to take up photography again as I am going exchange and is a good chance for me to take down memories there.

I am currently using a 500D with a 15-85mm and is loving my camera! haha.

As I am new and still trying out. I got a question here as I don't really understand the USM system. As it is said, my lens comes with ring USM(if I am not wrong) and is able to change the focusing after pressing half-way on the shutter button.

I tried doing that by focusing on an object and changing the focus to another while half-pressing my shutter button. However the camera auto help me focus back to my initial object. Just want to confirm. I am using the function wrongly right? hahaa.

If this is not the way to use this function, what is? just curious about it. Thanks!

What AF mode are you using?

I am using Av. Does it matter in this case?

OH~! I am using AI Focus. Thats why it is always focusing! omg. Thanks for making me come in realization. Thats quite dumb of me. haha

OH~! I am using AI Focus. Thats why it is always focusing! omg. Thanks for making me come in realization. Thats quite dumb of me. haha

It's ok, it's a beginner's mistake because you still haven't understood the function of the camera fully.

That's why it's recommended to thoroughly read the camera's manual, shoot and practice more!

Good luck for your trip/exchange ... and welcome to the club! Share with us your memories :)

Cheers!

just for curiosity, where are you going exchange??

i love the 500D and 15-85 combo... maybe u should get a prime for night shooting..

I am going Vancouver for exchange. I think it will be a great place for landscape. Ya! One thing I am not very happy is the night abilities of the lens. Guess is not suitable for it. Maybe will get a tripod when I go there. Argh, you should not have tempt me. I really have the temptation to get a prime. Maybe a 50mm for potrait?

I am going Vancouver for exchange. I think it will be a great place for landscape. Ya! One thing I am not very happy is the night abilities of the lens. Guess is not suitable for it. Maybe will get a tripod when I go there. Argh, you should not have tempt me. I really have the temptation to get a prime. Maybe a 50mm for potrait?

50mm 1.8 buy second hand $90-100 only... more than good enough for you for this trip~!!

its cold there make sure you read up about shooting in cold conditions...

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-handle-cold-weather-photography

WElcome to CS . . . :)

Shoot more over there and post some for us to enjoy . . .

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it!