New here....Rollei camera owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brack

Feb 1, 2008
Hello,

I'm new here. Looks like a good forum and I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with the Rollei SL2000f camera.

I've always wanted one of these but have had to do with my Contax 137 instead.

Anyone own or have any experience with these? What are they like to use?

Is the waistlevel finder bright/useful for focussing?

Many thanks for any answers.

Brack.

Hi! I was a SL2000F user.

http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=34&Itemid=84

The vertical finder is bright enough, the eye level one slightly darker. But the finders are not as good as the Contax with newer technology. I sugggest u stick to the Contax path. Actually I changed from Rolleiflex to Contax recently, one main reason is the finder, and also a more complete lens program from Zeiss Contax.

But I do not mind if u want to consider taking my Rolleiflex set (with lenses from fisy eye to 200mm). :)

Hi Fuwen,

thanks for the comments. I actually like using waist level finders - it's eyepieces which I find hard to use. I just wonder whether it's possible to focus with the waist level finder and get the focus right. Some comments seem to say that the waist level finder only shows 88% of the screen. Is that correct?

Which Contax did you change to? Can I ask why you prefer Contaxes over the Rollei? I like my Contax, but the lenses are too expensive. I will never be able to afford a wide-angle lens for the Contax, whereas the Rollei is possible.

I'd love to have a Rolleiflex kit, but being a student I can't really afford it. I can probably afford a lens and a SL2000F body....

Thanks,

Brack

I am not sure the finders areshowing how much % of the negative size. But as far as I can remember the vertical finder and the eye level eyepiece should show the same thing. I will need to check. The vertical finder is brighter as the light from the screen goes through less lens elements. Also the eye piece although seeing the same as the vertical finder but the image magnification is smaller. Vertical finder will have the typical problem of image not corrected for left and right.

I am surprise that Contax lenses are more expensive. For the common ones if u take a look in ebay or www.keh.com in my opinion they are quite cheap already, like the 50/1.7, 50/1.4, 28/2.8, 35/2.8 and 135/2.8. The not so common ones like 18/4, 60/2.8 macro I believe the price for Rollei QBM and Contax C/Y is comparable.

As I have said, I move to Contax because of the better design view finder (I can still easily manual focus at the corners with matt screen), higher view finder magnification, better and updated lens program (I am looking at German designed zooms, dedicated tele convertors Mutar II and III, lenses like 180/2.8 and 300/4).

Also I think Contax bodies are more reliable than Rolleiflex. For Rolleiflex, other than the very old mechanical SL35, the rest are really problematic. The SL2000F if u can get a good one is quite reliable. But if u are talking about one lens and one body then might as well stay with Contax.

Presently I am using Contax Aria and RTS III. I also have RTS, RTS II, S2 and 159MM. My website has an article about my Contax bodies, and quite a few articles about Rolleiflex. The lens Gallery has samples of the lenses I used and are using.

As for lenses for Rolleiflex, I much prefer the Zeiss series than the Japanese made Rollinar series. If u are taking about affordable wide angle in the Rollienars, then I would say they are of different class. The tele and zoom Rollinars are OK, and maybe the 28/2.8 and 35/2.8. But I believe u can get the Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 for not very much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.