New help on raw format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron1992

Jul 20, 2008
Hi all,

I am Jerron Lok.I have just started photography.Recently, i am involved in a simple project.I will need to take a landscape of a building and the picture will need to be able to blow to a A2 size.

So person give me advice, they said " Take the shot of the building in Raw file and edit it."I have tried some shots with Raw. But the quality is about the same(without editing).

Does any shops do raw printing?

Can some seniors give me some useful advice?

Thank you for your attention.If you have sometime please help me :)

Thanks,
Jerron Lok

Photoshops normally only handle JPG - so you need to do a conversion. Only professional stores can also handle TIFF/16 bit for prints (e.g. RGB Color in Singapore can do large size prints - I've done big pictures about 60x90 cm; and one panorama which is about 3 meter long and 1 m high).

What you need to do: Is upsample in Photoshop - to get to a reasonable resolution for your print. Or shoot from the beginning with a good camera that can do > 20 Megapixel (D3Xs, 1dsMk3, 5dMk2). Then you are very fine for A2 size prints.

Remember RAW doesn't increase the resolution - it just gives you more latitude when retouching (white balance, blown out recovery, etc.)

What camera do you shoot with?

Last edited:
Photoshops normally only handle JPG - so you need to do a conversion. Only professional stores can also handle TIFF/16 bit for prints (e.g. RGB Color in Singapore can do large size prints - I've done big pictures about 60x90 cm; and one panorama which is about 3 meter long and 1 m high).

What you need to do: Is upsample in Photoshop - to get to a reasonable resolution for your print. Or shoot from the beginning with a good camera that can do > 20 Megapixel (D3Xs, 1dsMk3, 5dMk2). Then you are very fine for A2 size prints.

Remember RAW doesn't increase the resolution - it just gives you more latitude when retouching (white balance, blown out recovery, etc.)

The Sony A900 works well for large prints too. Significantly cheaper than a D3Xs or 1dsMk3.

Currently, I am having a Canon 30D.

Thank you for your response :)

Currently, I am having a Canon 30D.

Thank you for your response :)

You might want to rent a 1DsMkIII body for your project then.

Status
Not open for further replies.