New Headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindSpot

May 1, 2008
My canon S5IS, the hotshoe I notice mini scratches and recently when I added a newly purchase flash diffuser that attached itself to the hotshoe it somehow add more scratches and taking off some of the black paint.

The black paint is suppose to be for protection right? Now I am damn sad due to superficial damage to the hotshoe. Even more sad when worrying about the part where the paint was taken off will rust or not.

Anyone else encounter such problem?

My canon S5IS, the hotshoe I notice mini scratches and recently when I added a newly purchase flash diffuser that attached itself to the hotshoe it somehow add more scratches and taking off some of the black paint.

The black paint is suppose to be for protection right? Now I am damn sad due to superficial damage to the hotshoe. Even more sad when worrying about the part where the paint was taken off will rust or not.

Anyone else encounter such problem?

Made of galvanized steel won't rust.... black paint only for cosmetic

Yes, the part is made of galvanized steel so it is just the look, you don't have to worry about rust. I bet the next version (S6IS?) will not have the black paint on it. Just look at 30D vs the current 40D, the 40D don't have the black paint anymore (guess Canon didn't make the change fast enough for S5IS - 40D came out after S5IS).

Blindspot, you are worrying too much about your S5IS, first the battery door and now the hot shoe. You should shoot more and worry less ;)

You have got a very powerful camera there, you know... :thumbsup:

Yes, the part is made of galvanized steel so it is just the look, you don't have to worry about rust. I bet the next version (S6IS?) will not have the black paint on it. Just look at 30D vs the current 40D, the 40D don't have the black paint anymore (guess Canon didn't make the change fast enough for S5IS - 40D came out after S5IS).

Blindspot, you are worrying too much about your S5IS, first the battery door and now the hot shoe. You should shoot more and worry less ;)

You have got a very powerful camera there, you know... :thumbsup:

Haha, sorry. I am new to mid/high end camera and my S5IS is new, so I treat it like a baby worrying this, worrying that.

You haven't read my another thread about being con right? I was in orchard and got a adapter and CPL lens set for $107, I now feel dumber that yesterday when I went to Scud in Sim Lim Top floor and found out I can get the set for like just $50-$60.

So you see how silly I am about these as I am new. But still yeah S5IS is amazing. Can take very good pic if one know how to use all the the tricks and controls in it. I am still learning new things every day.

Thanks guys for the explanation about the hotshoe. Today one less things to worry now.

Next headache, should I store the cam in dry cabinet or like my friend's advice to throw it in a small lock and lock box with silicon gel to suck the moisture?

if you see yourself in the hobby for a long time, and possibly getting a dslr, get a small dry cabinet, long term it will be more economical and less of a hassle, honestly.

the only reason why i have not gotten one back in sg is because well, i'm not in sg.

Next headache, should I store the cam in dry cabinet or like my friend's advice to throw it in a small lock and lock box with silicon gel to suck the moisture?
Silica gel packs in an air tight box like Tupperware will be good enough. For ultra zooms like S5IS, if you use the camera often, you don't even need an air tight box as the lens is permanent attached to the camera just like the compacts.

Silica gel packs in an air tight box like Tupperware will be good enough. For ultra zooms like S5IS, if you use the camera often, you don't even need an air tight box as the lens is permanent attached to the camera just like the compacts.

Ah I see.
Okie, I shall do that then. Used it often. Till I sick and send it to my "toy dump" then I get something to store it for long.

Although compacts with lens attach, molding can also form on outside of it. Like the outside of main lens. Heard will have perm damage cause hard to remove. Need to be sent to expert to remove the damn spider web like mold right?

I notice all my old CDs are like that. You can wipe away some but can never get rid of them all.

Hi there...
U mentioed abt able to get adapter and CPL lens for S5IS at $50-60 at sim lim 6th floor?
and the shop name is Scud?

I should have gone there. Oni knew abt orient photo.
had wanted to get adapter and sum filter.

Haha, sorry. I am new to mid/high end camera and my S5IS is new, so I treat it like a baby worrying this, worrying that.

You haven't read my another thread about being con right? I was in orchard and got a adapter and CPL lens set for $107, I now feel dumber that yesterday when I went to Scud in Sim Lim Top floor and found out I can get the set for like just $50-$60.

So you see how silly I am about these as I am new. But still yeah S5IS is amazing. Can take very good pic if one know how to use all the the tricks and controls in it. I am still learning new things every day.

Thanks guys for the explanation about the hotshoe. Today one less things to worry now.

Status
Not open for further replies.