New Guy on the Block!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillz

May 9, 2009
Hey Guys, i just started taking up photography and have bought my first camera which is a Nikon D60. Currently i'm into aviation photography and also general photography. Would be a pleasure if anyone could help recommend me where i can purchase accessories and stuff needed for my new hobby. Thank you very much!

Ashley

Well, im currently looking for lenses, a suitable camera bag and the usual equipment needed. I already have a tripod stand but i'm currently looking for the right lenses.

Hi!!! Welcome to CS!~:)

Hey Guys, i just started taking up photography and have bought my first camera which is a Nikon D60. Currently i'm into aviation photography and also general photography. Would be a pleasure if anyone could help recommend me where i can purchase accessories and stuff needed for my new hobby. Thank you very much!

Ashley

Hi, welcome to CS.
I have been shooting with Nikon equipment for over 30+ years and would like to offer my personal suggestions.

1) Don't go out and spend your hard earned money on stuff before you really understand your needs. Yes lenses, tripods or monopods, etc. are stuff that we're gonna need but just hold on to your purchases first.
2) Instead, go check on online forums, youtubes, googles, meet up with fellow shooters, talk, share, ask questions. Go out. Join some shoots and learn how to maximise whatever you already have.
3) Master your camera settings from both technical and creative aspects.
4) Try and take better pictures with whatever you have first.
5) When you've done something like 3K or 5K or 10K on your shutter count, you will get a feel of what you like and don't like, and what you're gonna need.
6) At that point, you can slowly look at acquiring more 'gadgets'

Final point: If you rush out to buy purely 'entry level' stuff, you might find that, after a short while, you're 'itching' for more pro quality stuff. If you buy pro quality stuff now, you risk spending lots of $$$ that you eventually might not use. So go easy.

Feel free to contact me offline if you wish. My email sf_kang@pacific.net.sg

Well, im currently looking for lenses, a suitable camera bag and the usual equipment needed. I already have a tripod stand but i'm currently looking for the right lenses.

my fav question: what is ur budget? ;)

Hi there, Welcome to CS!! :cheergal:

Ashley

Woo,

Another planespotter :cheers:

welcome to CS :)

Do drop by CS's planespotting thread.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496591

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513109

Purchasing stuff, I would recommend places like John 3:16, AP(Alan Photo), CP(Cathay Photo). John and AP is located in Funan whereas CP is located in Peninsular Plaza, next to Funan. CP is also located in Marina Sq and AP is also located at Sim Lim Sq.
If you're looking at 2nd hand stuff, you could try P&G at Adelphi Basement.

For planespotting i'd recommend you to get a 70-300mm or maybe a 55-250mm lens. If yoo do wanna go into serious planespotting then yoo need a big mama lens like a 300-800mm type :bsmilie:

Cheers,
Cowz.

Welcome to CS...

and look for a decent zoom lens for yur hobby.

1st of all, welcome to CS!

my point is, dont rush to b a BBB virus! Just master well with things u have and get stuff that u need into... continue to read, learn and shoot, and u ll well know of what u need for... :)

Thanks guys for all ur helpful comments! I'll take them all in good stride and take more test shots with my camera before getting anything else!

By the way if u guys have anymore advice do feel free to post them here... Thanks!

Hey Guys... What's a good camera bag to invest in... one which can hold everything from spare lenses to memory cards? Thanks

Hi, welcome to CS.
I have been shooting with Nikon equipment for over 30+ years and would like to offer my personal suggestions.

1) Don't go out and spend your hard earned money on stuff before you really understand your needs. Yes lenses, tripods or monopods, etc. are stuff that we're gonna need but just hold on to your purchases first.
2) Instead, go check on online forums, youtubes, googles, meet up with fellow shooters, talk, share, ask questions. Go out. Join some shoots and learn how to maximise whatever you already have.
3) Master your camera settings from both technical and creative aspects.
4) Try and take better pictures with whatever you have first.
5) When you've done something like 3K or 5K or 10K on your shutter count, you will get a feel of what you like and don't like, and what you're gonna need.
6) At that point, you can slowly look at acquiring more 'gadgets'

Final point: If you rush out to buy purely 'entry level' stuff, you might find that, after a short while, you're 'itching' for more pro quality stuff. If you buy pro quality stuff now, you risk spending lots of $$$ that you eventually might not use. So go easy.

Feel free to contact me offline if you wish. My email sf_kang@pacific.net.sg

Hey Kang

Are you frm SRMC last time?? If you are this is Riszuan here.. hope u still remember me! didnt know u are into photography.. we should meet up one day to catch up some time..

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.