New FujiFilm camera using xD card announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear, what is going to happen to Smartmedia? Are they going to phase it out soon because it is not popular? Am currently using Smartmedia with my Fuji 2600z. :confused:

i think that smart media will be phase out in the near future and replace by the xD card. I think fuji is commited to smartmedia for the next few years (support).

xD is supposed to replace Smartmedia, but apparently Fujifilm and Olympus will provide dual support for the two media types for some time. Well, your Smartmedia cards will always continue to work with your existing cameras, but I guess it's best not to buy too many more. Do we even need yet another 'standard'? Sigh. :(

Originally posted by Belle&Sebastain

:dunno: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:dunno:

Another format doomed to fail. Look at Memory Stick - still not very widespread. Even SD seems to do better..... (though just as proprietary)

Regards
CK

Heh, at least Sony has such a huge share of the digicam and videocam market that it doesn't really need to worry whether anyone else is using their Memory Stick standard. In fact, in their case, they seem to be deliberately keeping the Memory Stick proprietary-only instead of attempting to make it a standard, so that owners will tend to be locked into their segment of the market.

Olympus and Fujifilm aren't in such an enviable position at this moment, though. Really silly of them to introduce this xD card instead of CF when they're behind in market share. On the other hand, there is a rumour that there will be some kind of adaptor that will make the xD card compatible with CF slots. If this is really true, then maybe they will stand a fighting chance (until the "next better player" comes along... sigh).

Status
Not open for further replies.