New found scenic site


Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rick

Guest
Just off upper serangoon road at sengkang is this nice little place for your shootout. :)

Some nice pics from my humble A20 that I bought along.



This one is with digital zoom of 2.5X in addition to 3x Optical. needs a tele-lens. Any recommendation of good and cheap tele-lens for my A20?
 

R

rick

Guest
Right ON!!! :thumbsup:
 

hackie

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
819
0
0
Visit site
Originally posted by Shadus
yupz, tht's the 'long gao' in hougang ;)
wah liew.... dun call it long gao lah.. i'm moving there in 2004 leh..... :(
 

R

rick

Guest
the stretch along HG ave 7 really looks like a long-gao.

However, the sengkang stretch looks better. but when it's low-tide, debris on the riverbed can be a ugly sight.:cool:
 

hackie

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
819
0
0
Visit site
Originally posted by rick
This one is with digital zoom of 2.5X in addition to 3x Optical. needs a tele-lens. Any recommendation of good and cheap tele-lens for my A20?
hi there.. i have a A20 too.. got the Vitacon 2.5x TC for it. but in fact it's onli abt 2x or less and costed >$100... i think the better valued 1 wld be the Olympus C200 (can't remember the model) which has the actual zoom power of 2x and cheaper (<$100). think u can get it at Cathay. u also need to get an adapter, preferably Canon one as it's a 52mm thread. can fit other things like filters, polarizer. hope i help u in some ways :)

on the left is the Nikon Adapter, center is the Wide/Macro lens, right is the 2.5x TC
all a waste of $220.... sigh..... :(
 

R

rick

Guest
Originally posted by hackie


hi there.. i have a A20 too.. got the Vitacon 2.5x TC for it. but in fact it's onli abt 2x or less and costed >$100... i think the better valued 1 wld be the Olympus C200 (can't remember the model) which has the actual zoom power of 2x and cheaper (<$100). think u can get it at Cathay. u also need to get an adapter, preferably Canon one as it's a 52mm thread. can fit other things like filters, polarizer. hope i help u in some ways :)
thanks hackie. really appreciate the suggestion.

Did you bought the canon adapter? how much it cost?

AP suggested me a nikon adapter for 775 saying it works for A20. Costing abt $25.
 

hackie

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
819
0
0
Visit site
Originally posted by rick


thanks hackie. really appreciate the suggestion.

Did you bought the canon adapter? how much it cost?

AP suggested me a nikon adapter for 775 saying it works for A20. Costing abt $25.
oops. i keep editing my post.. haha..
my adapter is for Nikon 880. its onli 38mm thread if i'm not wrong. then u can't fit filters unless u get a step up ring. so might as well get the original A20 adapter. $39. but difficult to get. Cathay and AP both say outta stock. i email canon and they say can get from them direct. can't remember the no to call. maybe u wld like to shoot them an email. :)
 

Edmund

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,346
0
36
47
Singapore
eoslightbox.com
Originally posted by Shadus
yupz, tht's the 'long gao' in hougang ;)
/me kok kok kok Shadus (just trying to light the fuse ah?? :p)

How many times do I have to repeat myself???
In SG naming convention, places that have the word Sungei (Malay for River) ARE rivers. Besides, ALL the canals (your so called 'long gao') have vertical walls with metal/steel ladders while the rivers ALL have slopping river banks (for those portions that are re-enforced with concrete).

Sungei Serangoon (note the spelling) is a river that leads out to Serangoon Harbour area (yes, Pulau Ubin is just behind Coney Island which is at the mouth of Sungei Serangoon)

Pictured in your photos is probably at the end of Upper Serangoon Road (which has just been extended).

The portion just opposite of the Hougang Avenue 7 side (Pungol park is not exactly beside Sungei Serangoon, but there is a stream flowing in called Sungei Pinang which incidentally leads to where you show in your photos), is Tampines farm area.

On my side (Hougang), there is a nice wide path beside the river bank with distance markings for joggers. Lots of people come here during evenings to jog. On the other side of the river bank, there is quite a substantial population of Herons, Egrets, Common Terns and Crows. Pigeons can be seen on Hougang side as well.. but just not in large numbers.

The Serangoon Secondary School side is further to the left (and to the right of the location in the photos) and the bird population there is slightly lesser as the mud bank there is lesser. However, judging from your photos, the portion near the end of Upper Serangoon is another now newly accessible area for us to see the bird population on the other side of the river.

Photo opportunities wise, you are going to be disappointed if you are hoping to take photos of the Herons and Egrets with anything less than 400mm (even that I found still lacking, a 2x TC would probably help me get frame filling shots). This is because, these birds mostly stay on the other side of the bank. However, there are plenty of common terns, crows and pigeons flying on both sides of the banks. It is especially fascinating to see the terns diving into the river to grab food before flying up again.

If you are into people and landscapes, there's plently of joggers and strollers, there is also some pretty nice long reflective river shots to be had especially during the magic light hours in the evening.

And one other thing, it is the mudflat and the eco-life in the river that sustains the birds living on the opposite side of the river bank. In the past, the river stench is particularly bad on some mornings but eversince the ENV announced that they are going to dredge the river, the smell seems to have gone. I just hope that this doesn't remove the eco-life that resides there, otherwise, the birds may just go somewhere else.
 

binbeto

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,312
0
0
46
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Originally posted by hackie


oops. i keep editing my post.. haha..
my adapter is for Nikon 880. its onli 38mm thread if i'm not wrong. then u can't fit filters unless u get a step up ring. so might as well get the original A20 adapter. $39. but difficult to get. Cathay and AP both say outta stock. i email canon and they say can get from them direct. can't remember the no to call. maybe u wld like to shoot them an email. :)
I am using a A20 too.. No adaptor yet... and no other lens or filter... :(

Keep us info if you manage to get any...
 

hackie

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
819
0
0
Visit site
Originally posted by binbeto


I am using a A20 too.. No adaptor yet... and no other lens or filter... :(

Keep us info if you manage to get any...
huh? i got it already.. but it's a Nikon and not original Canon... not getting anything for my A20 liao.. now training with cheapo SLR.. hehe...
 

R

rick

Guest
Originally posted by binbeto


I am using a A20 too.. No adaptor yet... and no other lens or filter... :(

Keep us info if you manage to get any...
Called Canon and they referred me to CathayPhoto 3374274. Call the place and said that they have stock. The adaptor sells for $39/- listed price.

If you intend to get it, how abt going down together and see if we can get bulk purchase. ;) Also are u intend to get and telephoto convertor? I wanna a 3X if there is available. However, not much $$, anything lower than $150 is preferred.
 

Kevin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
897
0
0
North West
Visit site
Originally posted by hackie


hi there.. i have a A20 too.. got the Vitacon 2.5x TC for it. but in fact it's onli abt 2x or less and costed >$100... i think the better valued 1 wld be the Olympus C200 (can't remember the model) which has the actual zoom power of 2x and cheaper (<$100). think u can get it at Cathay. u also need to get an adapter, preferably Canon one as it's a 52mm thread. can fit other things like filters, polarizer. hope i help u in some ways :)

on the left is the Nikon Adapter, center is the Wide/Macro lens, right is the 2.5x TC
all a waste of $220.... sigh..... :(
Hackie, your lens on the right look like Wide Angle Conversion lens leh. That is what the wording said on the lens. I bought a 2nd hand Vitacon TC which look like your middle lens leh??? :dunno: May be I bought the wrong lens. :cry:
 

hackie

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
819
0
0
Visit site
the one in the centre is Vitacon 2.5x Supertele.. but in fact.. onli abt 2x...... :(

the wide angle len also has a macro len.. juz unscrew the top part. :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.