New Fare by Distance- Cheaper?

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
Fare by distance is being in use for almost 4 days now is it cheaper for fellow CSers here who took public transport?

As for me it seems like the price have gone up be it transfer or not. According to authorites they said fare will be lower if you transfer. Well in my case, Direct route price went up and transfer eg. from point A to point C with a transfer at point B. Price before change is $1.35 after change is $1.50. increase of 15cents.

Just 2days ago, my friend (also a fellow CSer who is too busy to come in) and i was talking about the fare thing and he told me that it is distanced base. It will be more accurate to compared base by distance to him his fare also increase.

He then quote an experiment or should i say test which his friend did,

Firstly he travelled by train/bus to his work place from his home.

Next he took the same route in a cab and at the same time using his own GPRS system to check on the distance and found that the distance clock by his GPRS system n the Cab is the same ie. 12km but when compared distance clock by the train/bus there is a different of 2km ie 14km.
:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

In our opinion a difference of 0.5km is ok but not 2km!!!

Wonder any of u bros did the same kind of test?

Does anyone knows how the charges were charge by block of 100m or by 200m......???

And for those using elderly concession cards also not spared which i think should not be the case! My mum is complianing that the price hike this time round no sound no sight n up so much!

News on Sunday night in news they reported that 1 in every 4 people will face price hike while the rest remains or cheaper.

Then on Monday night's news it was changed to 1 in every 3 people will face the hike!:think:

Govt always encourages us to take public transport because it's cheaper. (as compared to driving on the roads- with ERP gantries)
Now, the "increase" the bus fares, for some people.

What next? :dunno:

If it is cheaper, they wouldn't bother to change it.

Change = more profit, if not how to answer to their shareholder.

My fare increase from 69 to 71 cents, 2 cents more.

If 2 cents per 1 million commuters, you'll have an increase profit of $20 000 per day.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'll have to pay an extra 50 cents when the bus goes through the ERP gantry one of this day.

Last edited:

If 2 cents per 1 million commuters, you'll have an increase profit of $20 000 per day.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'll have to pay an extra 50 cents when the bus goes through the ERP gantry one of this day.

alamak, people talking about gps liao lor, u still stuck at erp ah:bsmilie::bsmilie: likely thats why we have pay by dist for public transport system right now.

Last edited:

Ya 2 cents up for feeder service!

And they say Overall they still lose money! Hmm... wonder who did the maths for them?:think:

And they say Overall they still lose money! Hmm... wonder who did the maths for them?:think:

a very smart accountant who show what the bosses want to see (2 sets of chart, one for public one for the board).

Second that! It is increase instead of decrease... Duh...! :thumbsd:

How is distance measured?
Feeder bus takes me one big round the estate and charge more?

This one is harder than those killer questions that pop up every year during PSLE.

For me is increase, since I only need to take 1 bus trip to my work place, and is < 15 mins ride if no jam.

So, I am one of those 1 in 3 that face price hike.

Mine was increased. It increased by about 20cents per trip. Even though we are making noise about it, I don't think it will be reversed. After a while, they think we will get used to it and not make noise. After this, price will increase yet again due to oil price etc.

For me is increase, since I only need to take 1 bus trip to my work place, and is < 15 mins ride if no jam.

So, I am one of those 1 in 3 that face price hike.

Actually, thats the thing, without any capacity of gathering info, we can't tell if the 1 in 3 is true or not.
Everyone would end up thinking that they are the "1 in 3".

don't need to test...on the first day I already notice it's more ex;(

Yeah, oil price go up, fare also go up. Oil price go down, they will say operating cost higher cannot reduce fare.

They will say if compare to Japan, Singapore fare is still cheap and still don't need ushers to push people into the train.

Last edited:
I do not even think that any statistics need to be gathered based on the 100% of us here, from different walks of life and age are saying the same thing.

Govt always encourages us to take public transport because it's cheaper. (as compared to driving on the roads- with ERP gantries)
Now, the "increase" the bus fares, for some people.

What next? :dunno:

actually, it remains a fact that public transport is still cheaper.

that said, i think most of my journeys seem to have increased by a few cents.

i have experienced 2 or 3 journeys that have decreased by a few cents.

Last edited:
Check this TRANSITLINK SITE sit.

The eGuide provides a convenient one-stop information guide on point-to-point bus and train services. It provide all the routes and the total bus fare.

Check out this announcement.

I am one of those who pay more. Difference in 1 bus stop cost me 4c more.

Use the calculator here: www.publictransport.sg/distancefare

With fares shown against each journey option, commuters can then choose one that best suits their transport needs.