New discovery on Dynax 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

deslim27

May 23, 2003
SG
Visit site
Haa..

May be many already know but its a new discovery to me after 3-4 yrs with it.. :D

DMF (Direct Manual Focus)

1) Change one of the custom function to "2" (Anyone can remember off hand?). Switch AF mode to "A".

2) Half press to focus, once the focus is confirmed, the AF gear will disenaged automatically, and you're in MF now.

I remember someone was complaining that Dynax 7 does not have this feature sometime back (may be somewhere else :think:).

Guys/Gals, post your new discovery or favourite feature to share here!

Cheers!
Des

deslim27 said:
1) Change one of the custom function to "2" (Anyone can remember off hand?). Switch AF mode to "A".

Do you know there's another way of activating DMF? :)

Cheers!

UY79 said:
Do you know there's another way of activating DMF? :)

Cheers!
I use another method though, and I thought this method is more convenient because it doesn't need to go through the hassle of adjusting the custom fuction. D7 has this MF button on the top right hand corner, where your thumb is usually resting nearby. A single press engages MF, another press will reengage AF.

It pays to know your equipment well enough, depending on your photographic needs, so that it becomes a tool, rather than your master.

yeocolin said:
I use another method though, and I thought this method is more convenient because it doesn't need to go through the hassle of adjusting the custom fuction. D7 has this MF button on the top right hand corner, where your thumb is usually resting nearby. A single press engages MF, another press will reengage AF.

It pays to know your equipment well enough, depending on your photographic needs, so that it becomes a tool, rather than your master.

I'm using this method too, but this DMF thing only requires to setup once and as long as you stay in "A" mode, the camera will always disengage the AF gear upon focus confirm and activate AF again once you release the shutter button (if I remember correctly). So no extra effort required. Understand that Canon has the same feature too, and many likes it, anyone used this feature frequently?

Edit: Typo :bsmilie:

yup I set my custom to DMF permanently, very useful feature, good for situations where either the focusing is off due to low light or you wanna play around with hyperfocal.

deslim27 said:
Understand that Canon has the same feature too, and many likes it,

Their full-time MF isn't exactly the same -- you can override AF even during focusing. So it is more effective as you can grab the focusing ring and start adjusting when you see that the camera overshoots, you don't have to sit and wait for an AF lock. This method of focusing pretty much requires USM/SSM type focusing (fly-by-wire) and the new SSM lenses does feature it.

Another nice thing with the AF/MF button on the back is that it also functions in MF mode. Set the front selector to MF and the camera will start in manual focus but a push on the button will activate AF. So it works the other way round, too.

deslim27 said:

Half press to focus, once the focus is confirmed, the AF gear will disenaged automatically, and you're in MF now.

not to slam this but really can be potentially confusing when shooting events on the fly :think:...me would prefer to the conventional methof of switching to manual focus mode usign the AF/MF switch on the lens/body..coz using the shutter release button for anything other that AF-ing and shutter releasing can cause alot of strain on the index finger...much in the same manner as nikon's 5 way thumbpad is more straining on my poor thumb than as compared to canon's quick dial :)

Magnus Wedberg said:
Another nice thing with the AF/MF button on the back is that it also functions in MF mode. Set the front selector to MF and the camera will start in manual focus but a push on the button will activate AF. So it works the other way round, too.

:thumbsup: Good point here..

clive said:
not to slam this but really can be potentially confusing when shooting events on the fly :think:...me would prefer to the conventional methof of switching to manual focus mode usign the AF/MF switch on the lens/body..coz using the shutter release button for anything other that AF-ing and shutter releasing can cause alot of strain on the index finger...

Personally, I find it difficult too.. I usually used the AF/MF button to switch MF temporary. But wait! My MF skill sux! :bsmilie:

clive said:
much in the same manner as nikon's 5 way thumbpad is more straining on my poor thumb than as compared to canon's quick dial :)

How about a 9 point AF direct selection? :bsmilie:

Backlarge.jpg

Source : www.apogeephoto.com

aieeee!!! that will be fatal for my poor thumb... :faint: :D

which means i also cannot use D2H .. :bsmilie:

deslim27 said:
Haa..

May be many already know but its a new discovery to me after 3-4 yrs with it.. :D

2) Half press to focus, once the focus is confirmed, the AF gear will disenaged automatically, and you're in MF now.

I remember someone was complaining that Dynax 7 does not have this feature sometime back (may be somewhere else :think:).

Guys/Gals, post your new discovery or favourite feature to share here!

Cheers!
Des

lol, I thought what.

deslim27 said:
Then share lah :bsmilie:

I think I've got it mixed up with the other MF mode. :embrass: The smooth focusing mode.

1) Set focus mode switch to MF.
2) Simultaneously press the spot-AF button and lens release.
3) Release your fingers from the lens release first, then from the spot-AF button.

But I have no idea what difference it makes to MF.

Edit: Put in the correct steps to activate smooth focusing

clive said:
aieeee!!! that will be fatal for my poor thumb... :faint: :D

which means i also cannot use D2H .. :bsmilie:

Wah liao, your thumb so weak one meh?? :D

You need to press only one time for each point you choose mah.. you scroll too much, skin will peel also.. :bsmilie: j/k

UY79 said:
I think I've got it mixed up with the other MF mode. :embrass: The one that has to press ehm... the lens release lock and the AF focus area selection and something else one.

ahh.. okie, thought got one more new trick to learn today.. :bsmilie:

deslim27 said:
ahh.. okie, thought got one more new trick to learn today.. :bsmilie:

Unless you already know of smooth focusing. Still trying to figure it out, the manual didn't say much about it. :confused:

UY79 said:
Unless you already know of smooth focusing. Still trying to figure it out, the manual didn't say much about it. :confused:

You mean STF? :think:

Edit : Anyway, Magnus write up on the real 135mm STF lens.. The STF option on 7 should produce the same result with 7 multiple exposure

http://www.magnuswedberg.com/docs/STF-review/

(But I think his site is down now..)

I just finished reading my manual after 2 weeks! :sweat: Kind of confused with all the wonderful functions...need some time getting used to them! And yes, I find it more convenient to preset the AF/MF function to option 2.

deslim27 said:
You mean STF? :think:

No. Not STF. It's smooth focus. When activated, there's a black MF icon instead of the usual clear one on the LCD.

Tried it on some of my lens and only could feel the difference when using the 75-300. As stated in the manual, only smooth focusing is for bigger lens.

With smooth focusing on, when turning the focus ring, it's much smoother than when in normal MF mode. Maybe someone could verify my finding?

vivientan said:
I just finished reading my manual after 2 weeks! :sweat: Kind of confused with all the wonderful functions...need some time getting used to them! And yes, I find it more convenient to preset the AF/MF function to option 2.

What about AEL?

Status
Not open for further replies.