New crackdown on errant taxi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have once seated outside the taxi stand at marina square (outside the 7-11) for 1hr and 20mins while waiting for a cab during a Friday evening around 6-7plus...

All those around me are either grumbling or picking up their mobiles to book for a cab... of course i was one of those grumbling... :bsmilie:

and all the while, i keep seeing taxi which are totally empty with e green sign zooming pass the taxi stand and not turning in despite the long queue... :sweat:

I sure hope this new system works...
With the new system, the green sign taxi will not pass by that area :bsmilie:

They divert and stay put hidden somewhere.

They should fine em, fire em and ban em from driving taxis or buses for life. In time, only good taxi drivers would be left. Way too many taxi drivers on the road anyway.:bsmilie:

With the new system, the green sign taxi will not pass by that area :bsmilie:

They divert and stay put hidden somewhere.

:bsmilie:

*note to self* do not take cab during peak period at city area...

Another STUPID idea that hatched from the ivory towers of LTA ... no hailing of taxi, getting on and off taxi in the CBD ... what will they think of next? Prescribed routes taxi can take?

The beauty of a taxi and getting on and off wherever .......

Another STUPID idea that hatched from the ivory towers of LTA ... no hailing of taxi, getting on and off taxi in the CBD ... what will they think of next? Prescribed routes taxi can take?

The beauty of a taxi and getting on and off wherever .......

the more affected one are
- people who carry heavy equipment/items/baby
- disabled/old people
- everyone during raining day

I bet you the great big idea was another "wet"dreams from one of the esteemed scholar.

To combat the problem, it very easy. Reduced the $4 surcharge to $2 when calling for a taxi. Then the taxi is less inclined to troll and wait for a call job and more likely to pick up on the street.

The other problem is taxi driver do not want to pay ERP to enter controlled area. So, I propose that if and when a taxi do not have a fare, then they do not have to pay ERP so that they will freely enter the CBD at 6:30pm to pick up/service the customer demands.

luckily i drive.. but.. on the few occassions recently trying to catch taxi in raffles place in the evenng.. can really vomit blood. after 45 mins of trying to call for one, also no luck. .. in the end had to call a friend to give me a lift.

you would think.. with all the brains we had in government, that they could come up wiht a workable solution to have decent suppl of taxis at peak times in CBD area... i mean heck, even in relatively poorly developed countries i dun ever have problem flagging a cab.

All the taxi drivers are Singaporean. Singaporean taxi drivers giving problems to Singaporean commuters.

This taxi problem is being looked at finally because of the F1 in 2008. There'll be a lot of press people around and it'll be in the foreign magazine if the Singapore taxi service is bad.

If you look at the revised fine, it's too little at $500 while the fine for littering is $1000.

I bet you the great big idea was another "wet"dreams from one of the esteemed scholar.

To combat the problem, it very easy. Reduced the $4 surcharge to $2 when calling for a taxi. Then the taxi is less inclined to troll and wait for a call job and more likely to pick up on the street.

The other problem is taxi driver do not want to pay ERP to enter controlled area. So, I propose that if and when a taxi do not have a fare, then they do not have to pay ERP so that they will freely enter the CBD at 6:30pm to pick up/service the customer demands.

luckily i drive.. but.. on the few occassions recently trying to catch taxi in raffles place in the evenng.. can really vomit blood. after 45 mins of trying to call for one, also no luck. .. in the end had to call a friend to give me a lift.

you would think.. with all the brains we had in government, that they could come up wiht a workable solution to have decent suppl of taxis at peak times in CBD area... i mean heck, even in relatively poorly developed countries i dun ever have problem flagging a cab.
That make you imagine why our government pay so much for the top scholar for their "quality" input. :confused:

Seriously, I do think the policy maker should go to try out the public transport services during peak hour "anonymously" to experience the pain, rather than official show up for "wayang" only.

LTA sees Bus and Cabs as private vehicles from private companies. They don't really consider them as public transport. Anyway, the ERP gantries are sprouting all over the island, irregardless of the area. Imagine the tax collected from such gantries daily, it generates million of dollars in revenue for the gov ! Who would want to sacrifice the golden egg-laying goose?

Letting public transport in and out without paying fees is considered subsidising, that's not very fair to other private users! That's the classic argument, but sadly that does not solve any problem if they want to stick to their no-bending rules. As one of the cabby I talked to said, they have to pay every time they pass the ERP, unlike in the past when they can just pay one fee and enter the "restricted area" limitless times during the day. With more and more ERP evolving around the island, they have to carefully choose & pick the route they travel.

Cabs will continue to avoid ERP areas; nobody doing business will want to incur extra cost, that's common sense.:bsmilie:

The Original idea of reducing traffic congestion has now turned into a money making machine. That's very good for a business, but not so good for the people of the country. :sweat:

aiyo dun worry ur not alone. I have waited for 2 hrs + at raffles city shopping center in the past(when the problem was more rampant).

Status
Not open for further replies.