New CF Card: 12GB, Read 13MB/s and Write 12MB/s!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
It'll cost you a lot though: RP of US$9,999.99 :eek:

http://www.pretec.com/OnlineSales/SSD/Cheetah/Cheetah_Pages/Cheetah80X_12GB.htm

CFN12G.jpg

Anyone wanna do MO :bsmilie:

I'd stick with 12 1GB cards than 1 12GB card... Shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket... I mean, put all your photos in one memory card.

This card should be good for those who shoot with Digital Medium Format Backs with them 22+ Megapixel sensors and shot in RAW too.... For 35mm systems I think the max should be 4GB. Sufficient space even for RAW files.

Currently, 1gig CF selling for abt $200, therefore 12x1gig CF abt $2400??
Doesnt make any sense in getting the 12gigs ones for US$9,999.99 :nono:
Anyway, like what nickmak mentioned, "not wise to put all the eggs in one basket"

actually, i think this card might be specifically created for digital MF shooters. those using the P22 backs for their MF cam will use it. at 22MP/pic, 1GB cards are puny for these people. :)

2GB 80X Lexar selling at S$299.

will it be possible for the price of such card to drop to $300 and below in 2 years time? :bsmilie:

actionman said:
will it be possible for the price of such card to drop to $300 and below in 2 years time? :bsmilie:

Hi actionman,
It wouldn't surprise me at all.
A 64mb CF card was around AU$399 less than 4 years ago :bsmilie:

Pablo said:
Hi actionman,
It wouldn't surprise me at all.
A 64mb CF card was around AU$399 less than 4 years ago :bsmilie:

Agree with Pablo. New Tech. will make all old tech stuff price drop just like Harddisk. :confused:

So it is advisable to get the most common/current tech. stuff.

hohoho!

most medium digital back users should be hooked up to a PC or Mac while doing shoots in the studio(outdoor, perhaps they'll bring along a portable memory bank device and just pop in their images at the end of any shoot) hence there's no need for this 12GB card.

at most jus pop in a 1GB or 2GB card into their digi backs and save the final selected shots into the PC or Mac or simply drop them into the memory bank device.

makes more money sense this way.

i don't think there'll be alot of photographers brave enough to invest in this 12GB card anyway. :bigeyes:

Cheesecake said:
hohoho!

most medium digital back users should be hooked up to a PC or Mac while doing shoots in the studio(outdoor, perhaps they'll bring along a portable memory bank device and just pop in their images at the end of any shoot) hence there's no need for this 12GB card.

at most jus pop in a 1GB or 2GB card into their digi backs and save the final selected shots into the PC or Mac or simply drop them into the memory bank device.

i don't think there'll be alot of photographers brave enough to invest in this 12GB card anyway. :bigeyes:

more for outdoors lah. u can read how luminous-landscape editor, michael reichmann, shoots when he goes outdoors with his contax + p22 digital back. from his articles, he only download it into his lappy when he's back in the hotel. out in the field, he either use something like the x-drive products or swap cards. anyway, its just a thot from me abt this gigantic card. there must be a niche mkt for this product, else the company will not manufacture it anyway. :)

Cheesecake said:
hohoho!

Look at Micheal Reichmann's review about his Kodak MF back.... He was looking forward to a larger sized card somewhere if I can remember...

Cheesecake said:
duh...
who is he?

that is his way of using and shooting with medium format backs.

not saying that it is right or wrong

but it makes more money sense to invest in many 1GB cards than 1 12GB card. and lesser 'vulnerability' and 'insecurity'.

imagine the 12GB card goin berserk and all ur images are gone! :confused:

John Tan said:
Agree with Pablo. New Tech. will make all old tech stuff price drop just like Harddisk. :confused:

So it is advisable to get the most common/current tech. stuff.

Yea, and by that time your DSLR would probably take up 30-40mb per image and even a 2GB would be bare minimum...

RossChang said:
Yea, and by that time your DSLR would probably take up 30-40mb per image and even a 2GB would be bare minimum...

I guess the development of CFC 's capacity should be proportional to the MP counts of digital cameras then :sweat: but does that mean the LCD/CRT monitors shd get cheaper too? quite hard to edit a 30mb image on a 19" inch i guess...

Cheesecake said:
duh...
who is he?

that is his way of using and shooting with medium format backs.

ermmm.... cheesecake, no offence. however, dun diss this guy due to ur ignorance. michael reichmann is a very well respected photographer, teacher and contributing editor to Photo Techniques Magazine, among others. also, he's one of the beta product tester for canon and (i believe) for Phase One (manufacturer of the digital backs for MF cams).

do read abt him here. his articles on photography are top-drawer stuff. easy to understand and practical.
http://luminous-landscape.com/about/michael1.shtml :)

nightwolf75 said:
ermmm.... cheesecake, no offence. however, dun diss this guy due to ur ignorance. michael reichmann is a very well respected photographer, teacher and contributing editor to Photo Techniques Magazine, among others. also, he's one of the beta product tester for canon and (i believe) for Phase One (manufacturer of the digital backs for MF cams).

do read abt him here. his articles on photography are top-drawer stuff. easy to understand and practical.
http://luminous-landscape.com/about/michael1.shtml :)

not dissing/dishing him.
i seriously have no idea about him.

sorry for my ignorance here

i suspect the underwater ppl will be interested in this. It is probably the one environment where swapping cards is not an option at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.