NEW Canon EOS 450D selling at $899!Should I buy now or wait for IT Show (next week)??

wizz747

Feb 27, 2010
Singapore
I am a newbie and I'm considering buying a DSLR (check my 1st post that I made earlier today). I just checked out the Canon web site and the 450D is on promo for $899 till this Sunday!

I want to buy it! But I am wondering, do you guys think it's wiser for me to go check out at the IT Show if I can get a better deal for the 450D? Do you think they will be selling 450D there (considering that it is an old model now)?

Can you reply me asap? Cos I'm going out tmr (Saturday) and I can buy it if you guys think it's better for me to buy it now rather than wait for the IT Show which is next week of course!

Last edited:
MS Color (and probably some other retail stores) sell cheaper than that even without the promo...

Never buy cameras at IT shows, its almost always selling at SRP with some freebies thrown in. You can get better deals from the usual camera shops.

at this price i rather buy pentax k-x which is less than $800 and MUCH MUCH better than the Canon 450D.

Im not a pentax user btw, and this is my unbias view.

Sony A330 with lens street price $800-820 (and comes with the free DSLR course and $100 Isetan voucher for students) is also a better cam than the Canon 450D. However I have to agree that the Pentax k-x (specs wise) is still better than both the A330 and Canon 450D

Last edited:
I don't know about other brands like Sony or Pentax, but I'll just give you an answer for what you asked.

The TODAY paper on March 5, 2010 had a short writeup stating that the Canon 550D will be launched together with its other new PowerShot models at the IT Show next week.

While I am not suggesting you buy your camera gear at the IT Show itself, I would advise you to wait a week. As sabee said, some retailers' usual retail price are lower than the supposed 'promo price' you stated. No one knows whether the prices of the older models will drop when the 550D is launched, but I see no harm in you waiting a week to find out.

IT show prices are usually not cheaper, but they do come with a lot of freebies.

for example during the last IT show, Sony's A330 comes with additional battery, dry box, tripod, bags, additonal memory card (besides the free 8GB one) and they even give a printer/photoframe, and that itself is worth nearly $300. So all in all, the freebies cost nearly $500.

considering the difference between street price ($800) and retail price ($899) of the Sony A330, the freebies actually are much more worth it than buying from shops.

This is the actual broucher of the last IT show.
http://www.bootstrike.com/itfairsg/...0-a380-a230-a850-Lens-flyer-brochure-leaflet/

I don't know about other brands like Sony or Pentax, but I'll just give you an answer for what you asked.

The TODAY paper on March 5, 2010 had a short writeup stating that the Canon 550D will be launched together with its other new PowerShot models at the IT Show next week.

While I am not suggesting you buy your camera gear at the IT Show itself, I would advise you to wait a week. As sabee said, some retailers' usual retail price are lower than the supposed 'promo price' you stated. No one knows whether the prices of the older models will drop when the 550D is launched, but I see no harm in you waiting a week to find out.

I think I better wait then.

IT show prices are usually not cheaper, but they do come with a lot of freebies.

for example during the last IT show, Sony's A330 comes with additional battery, dry box, tripod, bags, additonal memory card (besides the free 8GB one) and they even give a printer/photoframe, and that itself is worth nearly $300. So all in all, the freebies cost nearly $500.

considering the difference between street price ($800) and retail price ($899) of the Sony A330, the freebies actually are much more worth it than buying from shops.

This is the actual broucher of the last IT show.
http://www.bootstrike.com/itfairsg/...0-a380-a230-a850-Lens-flyer-brochure-leaflet/

Thanks for the link for the brochure! Was looking for the brochures since quite a time since I was not able to go to last year's IT Show

at this price i rather buy pentax k-x which is less than $800 and MUCH MUCH better than the Canon 450D.

Im not a pentax user btw, and this is my unbias view.

Sony A330 with lens street price $800-820 (and comes with the free DSLR course and $100 Isetan voucher for students) is also a better cam than the Canon 450D. However I have to agree that the Pentax k-x (specs wise) is still better than both the A330 and Canon 450D

I think I've been kind of bullied into Canon lol. Since almost everybody I know uses Canon or Nikon, I'm kind of inclined to buy Canon or Nikon. However, I definitely trust Canon since my first ever inkjet printer was a Canon one and I used it without having any problem whatsoever for seven years

But, are you sure the Sony A330 is better than Canon 450D and the Pentax k-x is better than both the A330 and Canon 450D?

But, are you sure the Sony A330 is better than Canon 450D and the Pentax k-x is better than both the A330 and Canon 450D?

They are newer body than 450D..... But no matter how pretty the girl is, if you have no feeling and can't click with, what's the point? ;)

Anyway it is good you wait until IT show, see what the promo. Then buy from the recommeded shops. Sometimes those shops can sell at street price with freebies what IT show can offer (if you need the freebies)

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :) Don't rush into buying as yet. Do your research 1st before taking the plunge ;)

I think I've been kind of bullied into Canon lol. Since almost everybody I know uses Canon or Nikon, I'm kind of inclined to buy Canon or Nikon. However, I definitely trust Canon since my first ever inkjet printer was a Canon one and I used it without having any problem whatsoever for seven years

Funny, my Canon color photo injet printer has given me so many headaches that I threw it one side and bought an epson.

Yes, Pentax K-x is definitely a lot better than Canon 450D and Sony A330. In fact, some independent review sites have claimed that the High ISO performance of the Pentax is on par or better than cameras like Canon 7D and Nikon D300. You should check out the pentax section under equipment discussions. A lot of talk and links over there for you to see.

BTW I am not a Pentax user too. I am using a Nikon D90. Stuck on Nikon system due to availability of old F mount lenses to me. But if I am starting new, I will be considering Pentax K-x, Pentax K-7, Sony A550.

Last edited:
Funny, my Canon color photo injet printer has given me so many headaches that I threw it one side and bought an epson.

Yes, Pentax K-x is definitely a lot better than Canon 450D and Sony A330. In fact, some independent review sites have claimed that the High ISO performance of the Pentax is on par or better than cameras like Canon 7D and Nikon D300. You should check out the pentax section under equipment discussions. A lot of talk and links over there for you to see.

BTW I am not a Pentax user too. I am using a Nikon D90. Stuck on Nikon system due to availability of old F mount lenses to me. But if I am starting new, I will be considering Pentax K-x, Pentax K-7, Sony A550.

hmmm just when I am looking at D90..... dont know man.... have not touch a Pentax before and am more familiar with Nikon control and UI.... although looking at some of the phtos from the Pentax Bro.... they are quite impressive.... :lovegrin:

There's even an upgrade version of K-x with weather sealed body coming this 3rd quarter.
If you're not in a hurry, wait for this.

BTW I'm not a P user

I think I better wait then.

Thanks for the link for the brochure! Was looking for the brochures since quite a time since I was not able to go to last year's IT Show

Why has inkjet printers have to do with DSLR? :dunno:
I owned a Canon Full-HD DVCam, no problem so far, very happy with it, but I don't buy Canon DSLR. It's different product!
Why I don't choose Canon since my Canon DVCam is good? Becos I find Pentax K-X is way way better in almost every aspect & even better than the 500D IMHO.
Don't base on your frens' recommendation whose already a user of C & N brand. Surely they will recommend u to get the same brand so that you all have same topic to talk.
Read up reviews/comments/feedback from repected sites & users. Look at their pics taken by the camera. Weigh the price/performance/features/Image Quality & make your decision there. Seriously I don't find the price $899 cheap or attractive at all.

hmmm just when I am looking at D90..... dont know man.... have not touch a Pentax before and am more familiar with Nikon control and UI.... although looking at some of the phtos from the Pentax Bro.... they are quite impressive.... :lovegrin:

The D90, A500, K-x all uses the same base sensor from EXMOR Sony (D300 uses a similar sensor from which this one is based on). The difference is in the image processors and the algorithms embedded in the camera in how they handle the image.

But seriously, how much different will this "difference" in IQ affect your picture in real world shooting? I would say that you will not even notice it that much. So all I can say is to stop pixel peeping, and go out and shoot better pictures. Composition composition composition.

Get the camera that you are most comfortable with.

Last edited:
The D90, A500, K-x all uses the same base sensor from EXMOR Sony (D300 uses a similar sensor from which this one is based on). The difference is in the image processors and the algorithms embedded in the camera in how they handle the image.

But seriously, how much different will this "difference" in IQ affect your picture in real world shooting? I would say that you will not even notice it that much. So all I can say is to stop pixel peeping, and go out and shoot better pictures. Composition composition composition.

Get the camera that you are most comfortable with.

That's what I think too, that ultimately, it's the person behind the camera which does the trick.

But in the end, remember that the biggest factor is still person behind the camera.

Just see the pics people shoot using the following ancient DSLRs:

300D and 350D http://www.flickr.com/groups/65971342@N00/

D40x http://www.flickr.com/groups/d40/

Exactly, mate. Your words echo my feelings.

Why has inkjet printers have to do with DSLR? :dunno:
I owned a Canon Full-HD DVCam, no problem so far, very happy with it, but I don't buy Canon DSLR. It's different product!
Why I don't choose Canon since my Canon DVCam is good? Becos I find Pentax K-X is way way better in almost every aspect & even better than the 500D IMHO.
Don't base on your frens' recommendation whose already a user of C & N brand. Surely they will recommend u to get the same brand so that you all have same topic to talk.
Read up reviews/comments/feedback from repected sites & users. Look at their pics taken by the camera. Weigh the price/performance/features/Image Quality & make your decision there. Seriously I don't find the price $899 cheap or attractive at all.

You have a point here mate. Thanks for your valuable input and for 'opening' my eyes. It indeed does not mean anything if my inkjet printer lasted so long but I do know that Canon is a very reputable brand and I trust it. I am the kinda person who most of the times go with reputable brands like Nike/Adidas/Lenovo/Logitech/Western Digital and the list goes on. I've never got any major problems with all my branded stuffs that I bought and I guess that's why I paid some more dollars. It's kinda peace of mind, if you understand what I mean. Coming back to DSLR's, I think I'm gonna get the Canon 450D itself, get myself familiarised with a DSLR first, then buy a brand new later.

LATEST UPDATE:

I went to Bugis today and decided to give the DSLR vendors over there a look. The prices varied very much from the 1st floor to the 3rd floor (as expected). But I have a better idea now about the DSLR prices. What I posted last night about Canon selling new 450D for $899, it's not cheap at all since I could get better deals at Sim Lim Sq. today.

But I know many of those guys over there were scammers, it's just a basic instinct that I have. Some kind of intuition. Cos I got scammed 9 years ago for a not so significant sum of money and I got my lesson after that. So basically, it's very difficult for ppl to scam me anymore.

Thanks guys for advising me not to buy, or I would have been regretting my money already by now.

Btw, somebody at Sim Lim Sq. today told me that there is absolutely no video recording feature in the Canon EOS 450D. Is that true?

Wah, then good i din buy the 450D! I want video recording! Then I'll have to get the 500D right?

What about Nikon D80? Does it have video recording?

And, a noobie question: Does the shutter count matter if I am buying a 2nd hand DSLR? The shutter is found in the body right?

Last edited:
hi bro ... tink u meant D90, and not D80, cause D80 stop production liao. yes, D90 have video recording.

Very very keen on getting D90. prob this few weeks .. hahaha ... yeah CS has been a great help, as normally forums do. unbias and fantastic views ...