NEW Canon 500D selling for $950 at Sim Lim Square.Can I buy? Or are they scamming me?

wizz747

Feb 27, 2010
Singapore
Yo guys, I passed by Sim Lim Sq today to check the DSLR prices and I got some deals for $900-$950 (INCLUDING GST) for a new Canon 500D (BODY ONLY). I want to get a Canon 500D because of the video recording feature. Can I buy the ones selling at Sim Lim Sq? Or are they just bloody scammers trying to rip me off my money?

Cos I don't really like the ppl over there, their face itself tells you they are lusting only for your money and they give a **** about you.

Last edited:
You have to check if the price include GST.
You also have to confirm if it's local warranty and not export set.

2 days ago I found a lens cheaper by $30 & almost about to pay the money & when I asked for warranty card then the salesman said it's export set. :what:

What's export set?

And it's including GST!

Ok. But everywhere I asked for warranty, they said it's with warranty!

warranty = 2 type if im not wrong. 1st is canon original warranty and one is shop warranty which is for grey sets. certain shop will give few mths shop warranty for grey while others might not but thats depend on what item you getting some might have and some might not

Last edited:
Pay a bit more buy from reputable shops like : Cathay, MSColor, John 3:16. These shops are willing to help you out if you have any problem after you buy your camera, and you have a peace of mind that you will not be cheated.

Pay a bit more buy from reputable shops like : Cathay, MSColor, John 3:16. These shops are willing to help you out if you have any problem after you buy your camera, and you have a peace of mind that you will not be cheated.

You know what? I was just thinking of that! I've decided not to buy my DSLR at Sim Lim no matter how good the deal is. There are just too many scammer salespersons/shop-owners there (I know there are quite a few Sim Lim salespersons here on CS).

You know what? I was just thinking of that! I've decided not to buy my DSLR at Sim Lim no matter how good the deal is. There are just too many scammer salespersons/shop-owners there (I know there are quite a few Sim Lim salespersons here on CS).

Agree !!!

I only trusted 2 shops there. Orient Photo & Alan Photo. The rest, you can forget about them.

nah...not all...jus make sure u know e price b4 heading down will do..
like wat Jeremy1 mentioned...OP and AP are those safest bet if heading down to sim lim...(they shd move the shop down to lv 1...but probably gonna jack up price due to rental....haha..)

if price is too good to be true, it probably is.

beware of missing things from box, or they will tell you they run out of stock if they try to sell you grossly overpriced accesories and you don't bite.

yeeah..... rite.... :rolleyes:

battery... oppss.. not include, you want? another $50
eye cup? nah. since when canon provide? that will be another $20.
oh... you need the neck strap ah? got... that will be another $10.
oh yeah... you need charger rite? can... $100.
manuals ah? wait ah... $60.

battery... oppss.. not include, you want? another $50
eye cup? nah. since when canon provide? that will be another $20.
oh... you need the neck strap ah? got... that will be another $10.
oh yeah... you need charger rite? can... $100.
manuals ah? wait ah... $60.

battery... oppss.. not include, you want? another $500
eye cup? nah. since when canon provide? that will be another $200.
oh... you need the neck strap ah? got... that will be another $100.
oh yeah... you need charger rite? can... $1000.
manuals ah? wait ah... $600.

:thumbsup:

they can charge $2600 for psp, means can charge you that money for all those :bsmilie:

http://www.asiaone.com/Digital/Features/Story/A1Story20090514-141410.html

battery... oppss.. not include, you want? another $500
eye cup? nah. since when canon provide? that will be another $200.
oh... you need the neck strap ah? got... that will be another $100.
oh yeah... you need charger rite? can... $1000.
manuals ah? wait ah... $600.

:thumbsup:

they can charge $2600 for psp, means can charge you that money for all those :bsmilie:

http://www.asiaone.com/Digital/Features/Story/A1Story20090514-141410.html

Thats Lucky Plaza. And Lucky Plaza is usually much worse than SLS. Haha. One has to be really dumb in order to buy electronic stuff from Lucky plaza.

Lucky plaza is a big NO NO :nono: after Lords went out of business.

You have to check if the price include GST.
You also have to confirm if it's local warranty and not export set.

2 days ago I found a lens cheaper by $30 & almost about to pay the money & when I asked for warranty card then the salesman said it's export set. :what:

Sometimes, it becomes export set once you don't buy the accessories the sales ppl are trying to sell you :D

got good and bad if you did your homework well.

i was quoted S$2480 for a 17-55mm F/2.8
at the marina sq on 5 Mar 2010 by a indian Saleman
CP-M: Cathay Photo, #02-215, Marina Square :nono:

and

i was quoted S$1800 for 7D + 18-135mm kit len at
funan alan photo by a beer belly chinese uncle .
:thumbsup::bsmilie:

Last edited:
If Lords go, we actually write off an entire shopping complex...lol:bsmilie:

It is not a matter of "If". Lords is now closed and their renaming stuff seized by Nikon via a court order. Auction is happening on 17th March.