new camera.... or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

physalis

Apr 24, 2006
Hi all,

Newbie here, just asking whether any of you guys encounter this situation.

I recently got myself a Canon S5IS (after months of saving up :)). Everything was good about the camera, including the sales service, and I used it to take about a hundred or so shots at a friends' gathering.

However, when I first download the images into my harddisk, I discovered my first image file numbering starting at 300++ instead of the usual IMG_0001. Does that mean that the shutter count of the camera is already at 300+ when I bought it?

ususally is de memory card n nt de cam.

hmmm... the memory card supposed to be new as well leh....

Hi all,

Newbie here, just asking whether any of you guys encounter this situation.

I recently got myself a Canon S5IS (after months of saving up :)). Everything was good about the camera, including the sales service, and I used it to take about a hundred or so shots at a friends' gathering.

However, when I first download the images into my harddisk, I discovered my first image file numbering starting at 300++ instead of the usual IMG_0001. Does that mean that the shutter count of the camera is already at 300+ when I bought it?

:think: i guess the set is not totally new since it's started at 300+... Maybe it's a set that the shop allows user to try shooting on the spot..

There's wat I suspected.

I do understand that some shops allow buyers to test cameras on the spot before buying, and there are buyers who backed out after happily snapping a few dozen pics. But for a camera to start at shutter count of 300++.... wow a number of people must have tested it before I bought it.

Not that my camera is not functioning well, But it irritates me when I'm paying so much for a camera that's suppose to be used and sold to me as new. :(

There's wat I suspected.

I do understand that some shops allow buyers to test cameras on the spot before buying, and there are buyers who backed out after happily snapping a few dozen pics. But for a camera to start at shutter count of 300++.... wow a number of people must have tested it before I bought it.

Not that my camera is not functioning well, But it irritates me when I'm paying so much for a camera that's suppose to be used and sold to me as new. :(

300+ :bigeyes: some joker before you must be pressing away. :bigeyes:

anyway, what to do? too late already...what can you say to the shopkeeper? :dunno:

hard to say what has happened
but if it doesn't affect you or the camera, who cares

thinking about it only makes you do unnecessary stuff
better to shoot
after all it is under warranty, is it not?

ya can only suck thumb. :cry:

just wondering if it is a industrial practice for shops to keep a testing set for buyers to try, and give customers a new set when they buy. If not unlucky buyer (like me) will kena liao..

just wondering if it is a industrial practice for shops to keep a testing set for buyers to try, and give customers a new set when they buy. If not unlucky buyer (like me) will kena liao..
you see the thing is
you must check when you buy
the onus is actually on you
i'm pretty sure the shop can't insist on selling you a display set if you can tell it is display set

usually most of the reputable shops like cathay, john 316, etc
would not do such things though, i'm sure people would have started big threads kao behing them if they did

you see the thing is
you must check when you buy
the onus is actually on you
i'm pretty sure the shop can't insist on selling you a display set if you can tell it is display set

usually most of the reputable shops like cathay, john 316, etc
would not do such things though, i'm sure people would have started big threads kao behing them if they did

Hi night86mare,

Is there anyway to check the shutter count on the spot?

You are right. I should have checked. I used to get from HN, and they always give new sets. This time round I got it from one of the more reputable shop... so didn't suspect this will happen.

Hi night86mare,

Is there anyway to check the shutter count on the spot?

You are right. I should have checked. I used to get from HN, and they always give new sets. This time round I got it from one of the more reputable shop... so didn't suspect this will happen.
for p&s.. i think no real way
if they really want to cheat you can easily reset the shutter count i think

even for dslr certain models also cannot tell one
so it's always usually on a trust trust basis, i guess
if you got it from more reputable shop, and it really bugs you
then i suppose should be no problem going back to check with them =)

Thanks for the info. :)

The camera might have been tested with a memory card with some pictures in it. If the card already has 290 image on it, the next photo wil be 291.. that might explain the 300. Anyway, I won't be to bothered about it. Not gonna make much diff in the long run. If it makes you happy, just reset the number.

shops should have a display set for customers to try. cameras in the boxes must be brand new.

yup, they can do auto reset.

ok episode 2.

when i try to register my warranty for my camera, the canon website could not process my request.

I called up Canon customer service and was duly informed that the camera was already registered under another person's account. :bigeyes: I told them i bought the camera new from a shop and they said they will help me investigate this matter.

So what do u guys think? Just asking for opinions while I'm plotting my next course of action.

maybe it is a second hand camera. :sweat:

ok episode 2.

when i try to register my warranty for my camera, the canon website could not process my request.

I called up Canon customer service and was duly informed that the camera was already registered under another person's account. :bigeyes: I told them i bought the camera new from a shop and they said they will help me investigate this matter.

So what do u guys think? Just asking for opinions while I'm plotting my next course of action.

wa in that case could it be a returned set?

ok episode 2.

300++ shutter count is bad since it's "new from the box"
cam already registered = pls PM me the name/location of the shop.

hmmm i got no proof whether this is a second hand set or not till Canon get back to me.

I asked the customer service officer whether it is possible to tell me when did the other person registered my camera warranty. she told me their system never write.. duhz... :dunno:

she's helping me seek advice from her superior though.

Status
Not open for further replies.