New camera lets you shoot first and focus later!!!

mykelism

Jan 25, 2008
Excerpt:

The company’s technology allows a picture’s focus to be adjusted after it is taken. While viewing a picture taken with a Lytro camera on a computer screen, you can, for example, click to bring people in the foreground into sharp relief, or switch the focus to the mountains behind them.

Full article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/technology/22camera.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Sure looks cool...But I'll wait till it hits the market.

Cool function to have.. :bsmilie: good for the people that have bad manual focus sense (like myself) :bsmilie:

But.. It'll be really expensive. :(

I think somewhere in the paragraph, it mentioned it's for the consumer market. I really hope they mean for the common consumer market and keep it below $700.

Incredible technology! Sure would like to have one... ;)

SkyStrike said:
I think somewhere in the paragraph, it mentioned it's for the consumer market. I really hope they mean for the common consumer market and keep it below $700.

The leica falls in the same category doesn't it? :sweat:

The concept look like video tape all data, and using AI to process the focus point, display... Excellent product

The concept look like video tape all data, and using AI to process the focus point, display... Excellent product

If that is the case, it kinda makes me think that it will take more time to take a photo. Really have to wait for a working set to be demoed.

I remember this actually came up as a concept and huge prototype about 2 years ago. Let's see if they can get a feasible demo unit out the door.

Rashkae said:
I remember this actually came up as a concept and huge prototype about 2 years ago. Let's see if they can get a feasible demo unit out the door.

$50 million! Omg if they can't and waste all that resources hey.. :cry:

$50 million! Omg if they can't and waste all that resources hey.. :cry:

I think the companies that are making SLR/DSLRs have spent more than $50million long time ago. (don't quote me on this...)

Hey, just a thought. Since we have auto bracketing for exposure and WB, wouldn't a mechanical auto bracket focusing be practical while achieving similar to this? It might help for focus stacking for macro wouldn't it?

Cowseye said:
Hey, just a thought. Since we have auto bracketing for exposure and WB, wouldn't a mechanical auto bracket focusing be practical while achieving similar to this? It might help for focus stacking for macro wouldn't it?

You'll need a good tripod. I know some people already do that in the macro circle... :)

bonrya said:
Coming from the new owner of a gitzo explorer??? :nono::nono: :bsmilie:

Thats why I'm now poorer, all because of the poison!!

spree86 said:
Thats why I'm now poorer, all because of the poison!!

I poison you wan meh? :eek: I thought is NPSS? :bsmilie:

bonrya said:
I poison you wan meh? :eek: I thought is NPSS? :bsmilie:

Not NPSS lah, I nvr go their shoots before leh. It's a certain senior member starting with J one and the whole G family LOL