new camera and lens

heliam

Nov 7, 2011
Hello everyone, im a newcomer to the forums and world of photography, i was thinking of buying a Nikon D5100, is this a good starter camera? Also, im looking for a good macro lense, can anyone recommend me? Thanks :).

Yes... Good choice...

Maybe a 'Good-er' choice... Maybe D7K /D300S

A good-er-er choice... Maybe D700...

A good-est choice... Maybe D3x... :lol:

Macro... Depends on ur pocket... Depends on what u wanna shoot....

Some says, serious macro, 105mm f/2.8 vr...

Cheap macro, 40mm f/2.8 dx ....

Lol:

thanks for the reply! Iwas initiallu thinking D7K, but price wise, more steep than D5100, my budget for lens + camera is around 2.6k.
Im going to focus my photographing mainly on insects and everything small. Does anyone have any other opinions? I would love to hear more, thanks :).

I would suggest you go for at least D7000. U'll tend to itch for a better body as time goes by. When it comes to shooting insects, 105mm f/2.8 is appropriate, as u can shoot w/o scaring them from a distance.

the new nikkor AF-S 40mm F2.8 macro which will cost less then $400, best value for $$ macro lens.

thanks for the input guys :). I will decide between the 105mm f/2.8 and the 40mm f/2.8 lense as well as D7K and D5.1K :).

thanks for the reply! Iwas initiallu thinking D7K, but price wise, more steep than D5100, my budget for lens + camera is around 2.6k.
Im going to focus my photographing mainly on insects and everything small. Does anyone have any other opinions? I would love to hear more, thanks :).

As a macro shooter myself, my suggestion is the tamron 90mm f2.8. Its value for money and had a focal length which is suitable for shooting insects. If you had done a search in this forum, you would have known what i meant.

Last edited:
Go for D7k body only bro! I got D5k n now the itch to upgrade camera body is killing me. Wishing for more year end bonus. :D

hello :) where can i find photography full time course? thanks

As a macro shooter myself, my suggestion is the tamron 90mm f2.8. Its value for money and had a focal length which is suitable for shooting insects. If you had done a search in this forum, you would have known what i meant.

Thanks, im currently looking at sample pics, reviews and prices on this lense, thanks for the suggestion :). Btw i saw ur flickr, great photos!
I am thinkning i should go with D7K, i come to a final decision when i decide the lense, than i can see how much i have set aside left for the body :). Thanks all!

Btw, which are the best places that sells camera?

Last edited:
You can try the reputable camera shops at Funan. My personal fav is "TK Foto" and "SLR Revolution" as I have received good servives from them. Doing a basic search in the forum will be most useful as this had been discussed numerous times.

oh thanks, ill do a search on the forum now :).

For macro photography, the lens will be more important than the body in my opinion. I would suggest macro lens with at least a reach of 90 mm (tamron) or 105 mm (nikon), but it all depends on what you want to shoot. It will be difficult to use a 40 to 60 mm macro lens for shooting moving subjects like insects. Macro lens are usually quite sharp, even for lens from tamron or tokina. Check the forum for a second-hand lens that is well kept.

Welcome to the world of macro photography!

Hello everyone, im a newcomer to the forums and world of photography, i was thinking of buying a Nikon D5100, is this a good starter camera? Also, im looking for a good macro lense, can anyone recommend me? Thanks :).

D5100 is a very capable entry level cam; couple with AF-S 18-55 & 55-300mm. A great cam to start with and later upgrade to a better cam

It would make memories & travel photography a breeze and almost capable for Motor Sports due to slower focussing:)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reportage-sports/998210-traction-circle-club-5-nov11-track-day-%40-sepang.html

For macro photography, the lens will be more important than the body in my opinion. I would suggest macro lens with at least a reach of 90 mm (tamron) or 105 mm (nikon), but it all depends on what you want to shoot. It will be difficult to use a 40 to 60 mm macro lens for shooting moving subjects like insects. Macro lens are usually quite sharp, even for lens from tamron or tokina. Check the forum for a second-hand lens that is well kept.

Welcome to the world of macro photography!
Thanks! Im going to get my camera next saturday, so i got enough time to research, plus i already did some of my research in the past. Im thinking of going for the nikon, but im still comparing specs!
D5100 is a very capable entry level cam; couple with AF-S 18-55 & 55-300mm. A great cam to start with and later upgrade to a better cam

It would make memories & travel photography a breeze and almost capable for Motor Sports due to slower focussing:)
Thanks for the tip! Ill check prices, if budget allows, i may get the D7K, if not ill stick with the 5100 :). Great pics!

Nikon lenses hold their resale value much better than third party lenses. Do consider that.

Or shop used and you can't really go wrong, just make sure you know how to check for condition of lens.

thanks, i will try to find good condition second hand lenses, if not than ill check out the shops :).