New Camera Accessory guide

jhender

Jul 19, 2005
Hi fellow clubsnap users, after getting super confused by all the different camera mounts and micro-four-third changes, I have set up a new site at http://www.MatchBalloon.com/ to help photographers easily find compatible accessories for their gear! I only just built it and starting to fill it up with items. Please help me build up the best database ever!

Why not just refer to the existing threads in the respective forum category?

In which way is this lose collection of items more useful that the written guides here in the forum? The only useful detail is the list of compatible items, but then again I miss a more detailed information why certain items are compatible and others are not. What about partial compatibility, e.g. where the lens can be mounted via adapters but certain functions are limited (only Manual Focus)? And: why is the 70-200 only compatible with the 5D2, but not the 60D? :)
To be frank, it rather looks like a shopping portal where the price tag and order function is left out for now. For a 'compatibility database' I miss more details about the equipment itself.

Hi Rashkae and Octarine,

I see your concerns and I'll try to address them. Basically what I am trying to do is create an easy to see view of what is compatible instead of having to dig through forums when I am at the shop looking at a particular item. Certainly I understand the value of indepth reviews and photo samples etc, but I dare say that sometimes it is detail overload. Will try to make it better! Am also in a way trying to document modders who can make things work together with adapters! gonna try to add that soon.

Hi Rashkae and Octarine,

I see your concerns and I'll try to address them. Basically what I am trying to do is create an easy to see view of what is compatible instead of having to dig through forums when I am at the shop looking at a particular item. Certainly I understand the value of indepth reviews and photo samples etc, but I dare say that sometimes it is detail overload. Will try to make it better! Am also in a way trying to document modders who can make things work together with adapters! gonna try to add that soon.

...if people are already in the shop, they're not going to access some obscure website. They will listed to the shopkeeper. Those that are smart enough not to listen to the shopkeeper won't need your site as they did their research already.

Focus on one topic then and also only one line of products. If your own interest is with Olympus and the 4/3 format then stick to that first. Also, you could skip the obvious things (e.g. Canon EOS and EF lenses) and focus on the less obvious items: adapters, manual lenses etc. You could insert some marking as 'fully compatible' or 'partially compatible' then.

Hi Rashkae and Octarine,

It is a big hassle to build the database. And you probably figure that it is a good idea that you try to get the public to do it for you. but most users, including myself, will not bother. If I go on to your site and find that your database/functionality is so sparse, i will go to another site and never look back.

If you want to build something, at least make it useful before releasing it to the world. put some effort in to fill up details to a useful level first.. then offer it.

Thank you all for your feedback! greatly appreciated. I will go make it better first and come back again! =) Happy snapping