New battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanjonhan

Oct 18, 2006
Do you all practice charging a new battery over nite before using it?(just like batteries for hp etc)?

I got charge the batteries overnight before overuse.

ok thanks

save time i do that always for the past 4 years;)

Was told not to charge too long as it will shorten the battery life.

haha by the way what kind of batteries you guys use ? brand of the batteries ? name few ?

Nowadays chargers all very smart, can cut off the charging power once it detects the batteries are fully charge, so I don't know if there's a functional advantage to overnight charging, compared to, say, the old days of trickle charging NiCds, which may take more than 10hrs.
Once a battery is fully charged, means it's fully charged, any additional charge will just be converted to heat. Also, Li-ion batteries have protection circuitry inside the battery to prevent overcharge so the battery will just "refuse" any additional charge once the circuit says it's full.

The only advantage I can think of is that your batteries are charging while you are sleeping so you don't have to wait.

the first charge has always got to be >6hrs or overnight the best. This is to activate the battery from it's manufactured dormant state.

Normally I will charge new battery overnight, use it until almost flat, charge again overnight, at least 2 cycle. Than the battery will wake up and serve to its maximum.

Regards,
Arto.

yeah i will definitely charge it overnight to overcharge it 1-2 times before i start charging it and when its full i remove from charger and use it.

I think what most of the people are talking about only relates to NiMH batteries. If your charger can switch to a trickle charge when the battery is full, then overnight charging will cram that extra few % charge into the batteries.
However, if the battery is a Li-ion, there really isn't any advantage because the charger will shutdown once it detects the battery is full. In fact, trickle charging Li-ion batteries will do more damage, but don't worry too much about it as the charger will protect you against this.

Status
Not open for further replies.