New at this and not sure where to find some things

Widget225

Dec 23, 2010
I'm thinking about going to school for photography and found out I need a "few" things to get started and I'm not sure where to find some of these things. If anyone can help me with a website or something, it would help a great deal (I don't know what half of these things are);
o 3 Light "Kit" - To include 3 Monolights, umbrellas/softboxes, radio slave set, cords and Stands
o Hot Lamps (3)
o Hot Shoe Cable (suggested)
o Reflector
o Gray Card
o Light Meter
Also need a 55-200mm lens for a sony camera. Please help me, I'm not sure if I can afford to go to school but I LOVE to take photos. Thanks, Widget:dunno:

I'm thinking about going to school for photography and found out I need a "few" things to get started and I'm not sure where to find some of these things. If anyone can help me with a website or something, it would help a great deal (I don't know what half of these things are);
o 3 Light "Kit" - To include 3 Monolights, umbrellas/softboxes, radio slave set, cords and Stands
o Hot Lamps (3)
o Reflector
o Gray Card
o Light Meter
Also need a 55-200mm lens for a sony camera. Please help me, I'm not sure if I can afford to go to school but I LOVE to take photos. Thanks, Widget:dunno:

1)CP

2)CP

3)Mass sales and those usual shops around Funan

4)Mass sales

5)DIY your own or look around mass sales

6)Usual shops around Funan and mass sales

7)Refer to the price guide and do your own research

If you don't know what they are, why on earth do you think you need to get them? It sounds like you're trying to set up a studio. Do you even have the space or the funds?

They are required for school, they teach you how to use everything you would need to use in a studio and you have to have your own equipment. I don't know how much they are or even where to look online or anything, thats why I came here and asked. I've looked and I'm not sure what is ok quality and what I am even looking for, I just need some guidence.

sorry kid 'new-at-this' is no excuse ....... you have not even tried looking........... or used some finger power

EVERYTHING you want in your list can be found/bought at Marketplace -> Mass Sellers section in this forum .... 3-4 flicks of the mouse...... and a scroll or 2 up/down...... suggest u cut and paste your list above and PM it to the various advertising Mass Sellers to see if they have it and how much they cost if you have problems adding up their advertised prices ?

u might even get a little discount for getting everything from ONE mass seller

p/s if you are getting the radio slave (transmitter/receivers) then a hotshoe cable (i guess its a flash sync cord) might be a little redundant

pp/s which school is this? I better go see them about selling all enrolling students a 'Starter Studio Kit' :)

Last edited:
Please help me, I'm not sure if I can afford to go to school but I LOVE to take photos

I suggest you find out how much is the school fees and look around in the marketplace for the equipments required then work out the cost involved. Photography can be expensive when you intend to invest in lots of stuff at one go, you'll save lots by only buying what you need after realising you really need it. :)

o Hot Lamps (3)
o Reflector
o Gray Card
o Light Meter

They are required for school, they teach you how to use everything you would need to use in a studio and you have to have your own equipment. I don't know how much they are or even where to look online or anything, thats why I came here and asked. I've looked and I'm not sure what is ok quality and what I am even looking for, I just need some guidence.
required for school??

where are you from in the first place?? and what school are you attending??

shouldn't they recommend you where you able to get them? and what kind/brand you can consider??

this is rather basic info the school should provide you, if they can't, I can't imagine what they will able to teach you in your course.

If all students need to bring their own sets, I can't imagine how big is this studio. School should provide and share among students..... my 2cnts

This is an online school so that is why they require every student to have one. I've put items in search engines and I don't know if what I'm looking at is right or not cuz I have NO clue as to what they are. I'm not even 100% sure how to use my slr camera. I'm not trying to be lazy or anything. I looked for about 2 hours last night and I have no clue as to where the best place to look is or what any of this is used for OR what they are in the first place. Thats when I came across this web site and I was thinking people on here could help me out. I'm not trying to be a smartie or anything but nothing anyone has said has helped me in the least. Guess I will just keep looking online and TRY to figure it out on my own. Thanks.

I'm not trying to be a smartie or anything but nothing anyone has said has helped me in the least. Guess I will just keep looking online and TRY to figure it out on my own. Thanks.

1. You are being a smartie. Several of the posts, most notable the one right below yours, specified where you can find the items you are looking for.

2. Any "online school" that requires total n00bs to purchase a home studio set is one I would avoid. If you don't know what you are doing, you should avoid sinking all your money into something that may not even be your passion. What if you prefer macro shots? Landscapes? ambient light / outdoor shots?

This is an online school so that is why they require every student to have one. I've put items in search engines and I don't know if what I'm looking at is right or not cuz I have NO clue as to what they are. I'm not even 100% sure how to use my slr camera. I'm not trying to be lazy or anything. I looked for about 2 hours last night and I have no clue as to where the best place to look is or what any of this is used for OR what they are in the first place. Thats when I came across this web site and I was thinking people on here could help me out. I'm not trying to be a smartie or anything but nothing anyone has said has helped me in the least. Guess I will just keep looking online and TRY to figure it out on my own. Thanks.

Did you even read the comments given? It has been told to you where to get them and if you want to spend that huge sum without even considering whether the online school is providing you with the educations you need then by all means go ahead

Guess you will be much better off with checking the sections about photographic courses where teachers of flesh and blood do the lessons right in front of your eyes. Yeah, it will require personal attendance, but given the conditions you state here I think the results will be better and achieved in shorter time - with less money spend on equipment.
There are things that are taught best face2face.

EVERYTHING you want in your list can be found/bought at Marketplace -> Mass Sellers section in this forum .... 3-4 flicks of the mouse...... and a scroll or 2 up/down...... suggest u cut and paste your list above and PM it to the various advertising Mass Sellers to see if they have it and how much they cost if you have problems adding up their advertised prices ?

WHICH PART of the above did you not understand?

affordable ($55) studio lighting workshop by Clubsnap workshop organizer

stop slacking if u want to be serious about this

Last edited:
whatver he said ^.

and good luck with your online school. heh.