New and worried

Domeknight

Jan 1, 2012
Hi guys, I'm new to photography and I just bought a D3100 yesterday.

Sibling took it, removed the lens and body cap and held it close while smoking(not very long though). My colleague told me that the damage from cigarette smoke going into the body is can be pretty bad so I'm quite worried now(dslr very costly for me, don't want 1st day got problems already). To what extent will the cigarette smoke damage the camera and is there any ways to clean up?

Thanks in advance!

smoke i dont think will have any effect.. but ash i guess the effects will be worse then dust.. not too sure what damage will be but u can easily remove the ash by blowing with cleaning tools

well.. looks like u have to be more cautious with your equipment.. dontknow why would they do that tho.. to remove the lens n body cap.. since its not very long..maybe its alright..hopefully the ashes dont get onto the sensor.. u can try blowing it with a rocket blower..n btw..is it working now? if it is..then u shouldnt worry too much..

since u got it new.. i believe u have warranty..not sure if its covered but u can try..( if problem arises..).

I don't think there are any effect be it ash or dust (same thing). If the dust get to your sensor and the auto cleaning system of your camera cannot remove it, then use a blower to blow away the dust. Don't forget, normally your sensor are hidden behind the shutter curtain and mirror assembly, dust and smoke don't get to it that easily unless your sibling is breathing directly on the sensor when it was exposed.

it'll get cancer.

Thanks for the replies! Haven't got to try it yet, hopefully all is well.

I hope he was not blowing smoke into the cam and also did not fire it during that peiod. If that is so, at least ash may not get to the sensor. If you have not fire any shot since, hold your cam upside down (without lens and cover) and blow it to remove any ash or dusk. To put you at rest, even if ash has gotten to the sensor, you may blow it out as the other guys have suggested. Just don't touch the sensor.

Last edited:
We can never really know the extent of the damage. Might be no damage at all (hey DSLRs are quite robust), but can be something as well.

My suggestion is the same, try to use the rubber air blower to clean the mirror chamber.. Then try to take some pictures of white surface (white paper will do), and check whether you see any abnormality on the result.

At worst, you still can bring it to the Nikon service center and have it cleaned.

As for now, if you are worried about ashes going in that might cause some minor damage to your sensor or your internal components, like what the others have mentioned, use the rocket blower and blow a few times into your camera body when the opening facing down. So that if really there are some ashes in it, they will fall out :D Check for any dust or whatsoever on your sensor using torchlight or taking pictures of white surface. If there is really problem with it then bring to NSC for cleaning.

Your worries should not be for this single incident but rather the long term. Highly unlikely that the smoke will have any effects on your camera. But: have you ever entered a room where a smoker lived for a long period? Did you notice the yellowish residue on walls, curtains and white furniture? This sticky stuffs should be your concern. Get a dry cabinet, keep your equipment inside if people smoke at your place.

Chill man. I won't be too concerned as this is (hopefully) a one off incident. Perhaps some dust and a couple of milligrams of other chemicals? Just use a blower to get the dust out, and I'm sure it'll work fine.

As long as he didn't burn any parts with the cigarette itself, your cam shouldn't have any problem. However, I am not sure whether your camera's auto cleaning function can remove cigarette ash as I can't tell it's adhesive properties.

As long as he didn't burn any parts with the cigarette itself, your cam shouldn't have any problem. However, I am not sure whether your camera's auto cleaning function can remove cigarette ash as I can't tell it's adhesive properties.
The smoker did only remove the lens but did not open the shutter (from the description of TS). Camera cleaning involves the ultrasonic shaking off of dust from the sensor, not more.

My guess is camera should be fine. Maybe some cigarette ash on mirror?
Why on earth would someone unmount lens and remove body cap whilst smoking? Maybe should send that person to "service centre" (ie hospital) for checkup ;)

My guess is camera should be fine. Maybe some cigarette ash on mirror?
Why on earth would someone unmount lens and remove body cap whilst smoking? Maybe should send that person to "service centre" (ie hospital) for checkup ;)

Maybe his friend is jealous that he got himself a DSLR, so he is trying to make it faulty :p

Maybe his friend is jealous that he got himself a DSLR, so he is trying to make it faulty :p

hahaha... i think there will just be excess dust in the lenses of smokers who smoke in their house and do not protect their equipment. if there's no ash and excess dust on the sensor, no problem. seriously if your friend is not careful with your equipment, try not to let them handle it, and explain it slowly lol!

if ur friend is not using it as an ash tray, it shld be fine.

just make sure no flaming/burning bits entered ur camera. easiest way is just to on and see

camera / lens not made of tofu one lah...

not as if someone put out their cigarette on the lens or sensor...

well if smoke only I think not a big problem?

since when did TS' sibling become his friend

hahaha... i think there will just be excess dust in the lenses of smokers who smoke in their house and do not protect their equipment. if there's no ash and excess dust on the sensor, no problem. seriously if your friend is not careful with your equipment, try not to let them handle it, and explain it slowly lol!

i smoke and i shoot at the same time. i haven't had a single problem after years.
because i shoot outdoors, the smoke and residue from the smoke doesn't stick to the body or lens as it's been blown away.

however, the smoke that enters the mirror box... good luck to the user if it's prolonged abuse. the tar in the smoke will stick to the surface. if you've used/seen a cigarette filter after usage, you would know what i mean..