New and looking for an entry-level DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rendezv0us

Mar 29, 2009
Singapore.
hi everyone! im pretty new here and would like some advice on an entry-level DSLR to get. can someone recommend me a DSLR ranging from sgd800 - sgd1000? also, ive seen some myself like brands from olympus and canon. is E-520 okay for a new guy like me?

thanks alot in advance... :D

just for body or with lens on your budget?

if just the body, then canon 450D is highly recommended.

if your budget requires a lens, then perhaps a second hand 400D with 17-85mm is viable.

well i suppose mayb a starter kit? like perhaps a body + lens? roughly does a 450D cost? thks again!

1. This is asked MANY times. Please try a search.

2. Have you even done ANY of your own research, such as going to the shops?

3. All brands, from Canon to Nikon to Sony to Olympus and Pentax, have deals in your preferred price range. DO SOME RESEARCH, don't ask to be spoonfed, and don't let other people tell you what camera to get. make your own choices AFTER testing and trying the cameras in the shops.

1. This is asked MANY times. Please try a search.

2. Have you even done ANY of your own research, such as going to the shops?

3. All brands, from Canon to Nikon to Sony to Olympus and Pentax, have deals in your preferred price range. DO SOME RESEARCH, don't ask to be spoonfed, and don't let other people tell you what camera to get. make your own choices AFTER testing and trying the cameras in the shops.

thks for the advice.

tried visiting courts and the salesperson wasnt keen to do product introduction. had my hands-on experience on an E-520 and i like it pretty much. im kinda new to photography so the interface gave me some problems. questions like wads ISO and AF starts popping up my mind. oh btw i din see much reviews on E-520 and that's why im asking for advice.

cheers.

try to read up more on photography before you make a purchase

just like dvd players, etc, if you want to buy the more advanced versions, if you do not know what is going on, you are just going to buy a product where you won't use half the functions, in that case, better to buy a cheaper product and simpler one, like a p&s.

thks for the advice.

tried visiting courts and the salesperson wasnt keen to do product introduction. had my hands-on experience on an E-520 and i like it pretty much. im kinda new to photography so the interface gave me some problems. questions like wads ISO and AF starts popping up my mind. oh btw i din see much reviews on E-520 and that's why im asking for advice.

cheers.

Ew, Courts is awful. Try MS Color, Cathay or John 3:16.

As for "what's ISO?" or "What's AF?", please do read the newbies guides first. And use google and wiki. If you don't know terms as basic as AF and ISO, you may not be ready for a DSLR yet. It may overwhelm you with too much to learn at once.

Last edited:
try to read up more on photography before you make a purchase

just like dvd players, etc, if you want to buy the more advanced versions, if you do not know what is going on, you are just going to buy a product where you won't use half the functions, in that case, better to buy a cheaper product and simpler one, like a p&s.

As for "what's ISO?" or "What's AF?", please do read the newbies guides first. And use google and wiki. If you don't know terms as basic as AF and ISO, you may not be ready for a DSLR yet. It may overwhelm you with too much to learn at once.

really appreciate all the advice given. ;)

thks for the advice.

cheers.

Ask yourself why you need a DSLR.
From the way i see it, why not stick to a PnS. You most prob enjoy the experience much more.

Regards

Ask yourself why you need a DSLR.
From the way i see it, why not stick to a PnS. You most prob enjoy the experience much more.

Regards

well lets say im thinking of starting photography as a hobby. been using p&s for sometime alrdy thats why im trying to go into DSLR... perhaps i havent grasp the fundamental, thats why im asking some really stupid questions...

Why no one recommend a Pro-sumer cam?

TS, you may want to consider prosumers cameras.

Differences? Read here.

Hi rendezv0us,

Welcome to Clubsnap. Beside E420, here are some other models you can consider for a budget of $1k: Canon 400D kit with 17-85mm/4-5.6 lens, a Nikon D60 Kit with18-55mm/3.5-5.6 VR lens.

Do check out the price list in the equipment discussion subforums under the different brands. Here are some: Nikon, Canon.

There are also many discussions in the Four Thirds subforum that you might want to check out, if you're really keen on the E420.

Have fun! :)

Why no one recommend a Pro-sumer cam?

TS, you may want to consider prosumers cameras.

Differences? Read here.

Hi rendezv0us,

Welcome to Clubsnap. Beside E420, here are some other models you can consider for a budget of $1k: Canon 400D kit with 17-85mm/4-5.6 lens, a Nikon D60 Kit with18-55mm/3.5-5.6 VR lens.

Do check out the price list in the equipment discussion subforums under the different brands. Here are some: Nikon, Canon.

There are also many discussions in the Four Thirds subforum that you might want to check out, if you're really keen on the E420.

Have fun! :)

thank you all so much... as for now, im researching on the terms and comparing different models... cheers!

Do remember to set aside some money for a dry box/cabinet. Also, think carefully before you commit, as buying a DSLR is buying into the entire system (brand), and it would be harder to change system later on (it will be expensive to sell all the lenses & accessories & buy again). :)

Last edited:
well, I had been taking photographs for so many years compact casio , Cannon was my first SLR cameras and lately A700 Dslr,I feels practice make perfect,As regarding to all the setting of camera u will get used to to it. But more importantly, the liking of photography as hobby, it is going to be very expensive .:dunno: Think twice before commit.;p

well, I had been taking photographs for so many years compact casio , Cannon was my first SLR cameras and lately A700 Dslr,I feels practice make perfect,As regarding to all the setting of camera u will get used to to it. But more importantly, the liking of photography as hobby, it is going to be very expensive .:dunno: Think twice before commit.;p

Agree...

Just a single reasoning of hobby won't last you long into photography...you will notice in long run, you would have spent few thousand dollars just for this expensive hobby...and eventually will drop it....as you find yourself not having enough time to upkeep this expensive hobby...then a pns/prosumer cam will suffice...

I believe it's the needs and passion for photography that will keep your quest longer...esp for DSLR as you need to maintain it pretty much like a car....(sending for servicing/cleaning and their re-sale value is judged by their age and "mileage"/shutter count..) and frequent body upgrades and additional gadget purchases...(lenses and accessories)

If you need to take good quality photographs for your family (like me) or want to take up photography as a fulltime or part-time job, then you will be into it for very much longer period and will appreciate the money well spent.

Last edited:

courts is seriously a joke. i went there to try their 450d for fun.. then i tried to test their salesman - what's the difference between 450d and 1000d?

salesman : aperture
me : huh?!
salesman : the aperture different, shutter speed also faster, megapixel higher
me : faints

lol!

anyway the 450d felt weird in my hand, i had to click with my middle finger instead of usual index.. is 30d the same btw? :think:

courts is seriously a joke. i went there to try their 450d for fun.. then i tried to test their salesman - what's the difference between 450d and 1000d?

salesman : aperture
me : huh?!
salesman : the aperture different, shutter speed also faster, megapixel higher
me : faints

lol!

anyway the 450d felt weird in my hand, i had to click with my middle finger instead of usual index.. is 30d the same btw? :think:

actually I think Sony A200 is quite budget, that time IT show selling at 800 plus. no need to go for live view etc, my friend has A350 and hardly use it. get the kit lens and invest a 50mm f1.7, you will enjoy very much.

See my humble stream at flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/klovir/ and you will know I am happy with my entry level gear. cheers!

haha. guess u're similar to me, can see you do alot of PP on all your pictures. good for u!

by the way, how much did u spend on the 50mm? seems pretty nice to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.