New and looking for an entry-level DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
well lets say im thinking of starting photography as a hobby. been using p&s for sometime alrdy thats why im trying to go into DSLR... perhaps i havent grasp the fundamental, thats why im asking some really stupid questions...

To be really honest with you, I started on my DSLR journey without being fully aware of what ISO-speed, aperture, and white balance implied.
Fortunately I got 1 aspect right, and that was budgeting properly.
I was also not fortunate enough to discover Clubsnap till after I purchased my D80.

If your passion/interest in photography is deep enough, it can overcome your initial lack of knowledge. You will be spurred on to learn more and more everyday. Bearing that in mind though, I'd still recommend you to browse through the Newbies guide to photography on this forum BEFORE making your purchase. It's really helpful! :)

Last edited:
Thk you all bros of clubsnap! got my 1st DSLR... Sticked to my choice of Olympus E-520 and im hogging on the manual for the time being. will start taking photos during the weekends and hope to exchange some pointers with everyone here! thks once again...

Congrats on your new E520!
;)

Thk you all bros of clubsnap! got my 1st DSLR... Sticked to my choice of Olympus E-520 and im hogging on the manual for the time being. will start taking photos during the weekends and hope to exchange some pointers with everyone here! thks once again...

go visit 4/3 community here :) -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94
there are regular events arranged and pop in say hi to your fellow 4/3 users (mainly olympus & panasonic)

Have fun and remember to share the photos. :)

1. This is asked MANY times. Please try a search.

2. Have you even done ANY of your own research, such as going to the shops?

3. All brands, from Canon to Nikon to Sony to Olympus and Pentax, have deals in your preferred price range. DO SOME RESEARCH, don't ask to be spoonfed, and don't let other people tell you what camera to get. make your own choices AFTER testing and trying the cameras in the shops.

If you realise, this question is posted under Newbies Corner. It is a free forum where anyone is free to ask any question. It is a channel where newbies can learn from senior members. I hope to think there is no such thing as stupid question. Please pardon us if we post question that is perceived as stupid. No one is obligated to answer or respond to such queries anyway. But when one does, we hope to get a helpful answer rather than be told off. Thank you for your understanding.

If you realise, this question is posted under Newbies Corner. It is a free forum where anyone is free to ask any question. It is a channel where newbies can learn from senior members. I hope to think there is no such thing as stupid question. Please pardon us if we post question that is perceived as stupid. No one is obligated to answer or respond to such queries anyway. But when one does, we hope to get a helpful answer rather than be told off. Thank you for your understanding.

ermm, I think you shouldn't be deviating from the main topic of this thread, which was to ask about an entry-level DSLR.

Well, just to emphasize bro Rashkae's point... here's my summary:
1) A number of Clubsnap members (myself included), feel a great sense of 'belonging' to this forum. We wish it to be a photography forum of high standard.

2) Some members of Clubsnap have really put in a lot of effort to create threads that are really like an idiot's guide to photography. such efforts are deeply appreciated. For so many newbies to post questions whereby the answers can be easily found in the newbies guide, just 'pollutes' the forum. Also, the search functions are pretty effective in helping you locate the information that you are generally looking for. We want to breed good photographers, not lazy photographers :angel:

3) Although you said we aren't obligated to answer... well, if all the more experienced photographers simply ignore 'dumb' questions, I think that's not a very nice outcome too, eh?

ermm, I think you shouldn't be deviating from the main topic of this thread, which was to ask about an entry-level DSLR.

Well, just to emphasize bro Rashkae's point... here's my summary:
1) A number of Clubsnap members (myself included), feel a great sense of 'belonging' to this forum. We wish it to be a photography forum of high standard.

2) Some members of Clubsnap have really put in a lot of effort to create threads that are really like an idiot's guide to photography. such efforts are deeply appreciated. For so many newbies to post questions whereby the answers can be easily found in the newbies guide, just 'pollutes' the forum. Also, the search functions are pretty effective in helping you locate the information that you are generally looking for. We want to breed good photographers, not lazy photographers :angel:

3) Although you said we aren't obligated to answer... well, if all the more experienced photographers simply ignore 'dumb' questions, I think that's not a very nice outcome too, eh?

My point is: this is a newbies folder created for beginners, isn't it? It is expected some beginners-like questions are posted here. The rest of the more intelligent queries (or you call it high standard) would probably be found in other folders.

My point is: this is a newbies folder created for beginners, isn't it? It is expected some beginners-like questions are posted here. The rest of the more intelligent queries (or you call it high standard) would probably be found in other folders.

Yes, but it is also expected of newbies to read a forum's rules and regulations.

also, It's better to teach you how to search for your own info than spoonfeed you.

Good choice. E520 is a very nice cam to use. Hope to see your works soon. :)

I would have to concede that you do have a point there. Newbies after all do tend to be more 'blur-blur'.
BUT imagine if the newbies corner starts to be flooded with threads like "Canon 450D or Nikon D90?" or "Pls recommend a DSLR"... eventually people will stop replying (since they're not OBLIGED to), and that leads to a slow but eventual "death" of the newbies corner. That's not what I want to see happen.

Let's cut the newbies some slacks. While I understand how boring veteran members might feel about the frequently asked topics from the newbies, you do have the option of staying away from the newbies subforum. And although it is good to encourage newbies to learn to use the search function, it would be more helpful if at the same time you could point them to threads or resources that contain the info. If you really want to make the forum a better place, make it a friendly one as well.

my 2 cents here :

" u don't know how to google? "

" use the search button la "

i think these few posts have been overused by both junior/senior members alike to flame the newbies. i'm sure they already understand how to search for answers, but perhaps some questions may not be so straightforward that putting in the keywords @ google wouldn't reap better results than just phrasing it yourself at a forum.

everyone is learning here, newbie or veteran alike.. so yup, i agree - at least point them to well-developed threads or resources they can refer to.. then at least they can continue from there.

" google la "

" google what? "

pointless right? :)

Its been 8 months and I'm still researching on the net and press for my first DSLR..............at this rate I'll be dead and gone from info overload before I manage to buy it!

Have you bought anything costing over $1.5K without first considering and researching for 8 months?
e.g. CAR, LCD tv, Laptop, etc etc...

If so, please give yourself a knock on your head for taking so long to decide on a DSLR! ;)
You are obviously experienced with cameras (saw your public profile)... so what's the delay?

Entry level...3 digit series (400D, 450D, etc) for Canon or 2 digit series (D80, D90 etc) for Nikon.
Don't bother taking a look at the 1000D.

guys, i've taken some photos and i need some pointers but aint sure where i should post these pics. isit okay if i post it in the newbie section?

Status
Not open for further replies.