NEW AF-S NIKKOR 400MM F/2.8E FL ED VR AND AF-S TELECONVERTER TC-14E III

Hohoho!! Looks really good!!!

It was about time for a new 1.4x TC.

After years of dissing fluorite, Nikon finally uses fluorite. Now Nikon will excel at both extreme ends of the focal range from ultra-wide to super-tele. With the best bodies and the best lenses, the race will be increasingly one sided.

http://nikon.com/news/2014/0514_lens_02.htm
The AF-S NIKKOR 400mm F/2.8E FL ED VR is a fast, 400mm super-telephoto lens for which fluorite lens elements (2), ED lens elements (2), and Nano Crystal Coat have been adopted for superior optical performance.

[h=3]ED glass - an essential element of NIKKOR telephoto lenses
Nikon developed ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass to enable the production of lenses that offer superior sharpness and color correction by minimizing chromatic aberration.
Put simply, chromatic aberration is a type of image and color dispersion that occurs when light rays of varying wavelengths pass through optical glass. In the past, correcting this problem for telephoto lenses required special optical elements that offer anomalous dispersion characteristics - specifically calcium fluoride crystals. However, fluorite easily cracks and is sensitive to temperature changes that can adversely affect focusing by altering the lens' refractive index.[/h]

So Nikon designers and engineers put their heads together and came up with ED glass, which offers all the benefits, yet none of the drawbacks of calcium fluorite-based glass. With this innovation, Nikon developed several types of ED glass suitable for various lenses.
They deliver stunning sharpness and contrast even at their largest apertures. In this way, NIKKOR's ED-series lenses exemplify Nikon's preeminence in lens innovation and performance

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/glossary.htm

After years of dissing fluorite, Nikon finally uses fluorite. Now Nikon will excel at both extreme ends of the focal range from ultra-wide to super-tele. With the best bodies and the best lenses, the race will be increasingly one sided.

I think someone in the accounting dept decided the cost-benefit-profit margin ratio wasn't worth the effort.

I think someone in the accounting dept decided the cost-benefit-profit margin ratio wasn't worth the effort.

I think other than performance, using fluorite is also to reduce the weight.

I remember the days of pro Nikon salesmen giving crap to Canon saying ohhh those lenses are brittle using Flourite Glass... and now if n mistaken Canon is lessoning the use of it. ? :confused:

With other pro Canon salesmen saying ohhh yes Canon lenses are sharper because of it... :confused:

I'm happy with what I have... it's my eyes that dictate how sharp a lens is..... some trial and error with real world field usage keeps me happy.

WAIT.... They are using a coating OF FLUORINE....

" Nikon's fluorine coat effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease or dirt, ensuring easy removal even when they adhere to the lens surface. Thanks to Nikon's original technology, it delivers higher durability and is more peel-resistant. Compared to other manufacturers' coating of a similar kind, fluorine coat endures a higher frequency of lens surface wiping and provides longer-duration staying power. Its anti-reflective effect also contributes to the capture of clear images. "

VIDEO :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsRx_OKTzo

I remember the days of pro Nikon salesmen giving crap to Canon saying ohhh those lenses are brittle using Flourite Glass... and now if n mistaken Canon is lessoning the use of it. ? :confused:

With other pro Canon salesmen saying ohhh yes Canon lenses are sharper because of it... :confused:

I'm happy with what I have... it's my eyes that dictate how sharp a lens is..... some trial and error with real world field usage keeps me happy.
It's all marketing. The only difference is Fluorite elements reduce the number of optical elements required to do same amount of correction.

Bottomline is cost. For Nikon, using Fluorite is expensive. Canon is more willing to take the hit, probably because imaging is only one subsection of the business compared to Nikon.

WAIT.... They are using a coating OF FLUORINE....

" Nikon's fluorine coat effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease or dirt, ensuring easy removal even when they adhere to the lens surface. Thanks to Nikon's original technology, it delivers higher durability and is more peel-resistant. Compared to other manufacturers' coating of a similar kind, fluorine coat endures a higher frequency of lens surface wiping and provides longer-duration staying power. Its anti-reflective effect also contributes to the capture of clear images. "

I think the fluorine coat is only for the protective meniscus glass in front.
In addition, meniscus protective glass with a fluorine coat, produced using a process exclusive to Nikon for greater durability and superior resistance to water and oils, has been adopted for the extreme front lens element.