New 7th Storey Hotel to make way for Downtown Line development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take photos while you can.. soon it will all be gone.

i think i'll go down there and eat one last steamboat:)

I remember my friend who worked in a building at Stamford Road. Old building, marked as 'Historical interest' and the garbmen spent sumthink like 1mil lulus to restore and conserve. Guess what happened?

ONE year later, someone decided Stamford Road needed to be widened and so BYE-BYE million lulu restored and conserved 'historical interest' building.

another one bite the dust.. how are we going to stay rooted? :thumbsd:

Take photos while you can.. soon it will all be gone.

Quite sad when heard about the news. :cry:
I totally agree with you that we should capture some shots before it is gone. :thumbsup:

try taking the hotel's lift if u can, last one of it's kind here

i'm going to go there try the steamboat and hopefully take a pic of the hotel if possible for keep sake.
anyone have any idea that how much the steamboat cost ?

hmm.. maybe can organise a shoot, then have steamboat there ;p

taking the easy way out.. ----- demolished it.:thumbsd:
just like NLB stamford road

There is sheer apathy about our heritage here.

The "this is JUST a 1950s hotel" or "this is JUST a shophouse" is kind of disturbing. What's even more disturbing is the excuse "its not worth to save the building". True heritage conservation should not be about purely money.

I think many shophouses had been demolished when Sims Way sliced thru Geylang. And the old Ellenborough area around Tee Chew Street (now Central), and that half of Kampong Glam where Parkview Square is now? What about Cathay and Changi Prison? The excuse given for CP was "not worth to modernise it" and lack of land. Not when you're conserving our history for the spirit of heritage protection.

It is possible to save the hotel, though. By moving the hotel, the whole building, provided it's structurally safe and they are willing to do it. It's been done before, and yes it is expensive. But a 1950s hotel, small in size, of that height, and given the site, it is possible. It's a question of if they want to do it.

The "this is JUST a 1950s hotel" or "this is JUST a shophouse" is kind of disturbing. What's even more disturbing is the excuse "its not worth to save the building". True heritage conservation should not be about purely money.

I don't think Singapore exist long enough to have many hotels build before 1950s.
Don't they understand, if we start to demolish buildings that are 60 years old, it will never reach 100 years old :think:

I guess someone up there has been waiting for this moment for very long, just look at the surrounding piece of land, can you imagine how much commerical value it will fetch!

I don't think Singapore exist long enough to have many hotels build before 1950s.
Don't they understand, if we start to demolish buildings that are 60 years old, it will never reach 100 years old :think:

I guess someone up there has been waiting for this moment for very long, just look at the surrounding piece of land, can you imagine how much commerical value it will fetch!

That's the irony. We must start preserving buildings from the 1950s-70s, like the oldest HDB/SIT flats and old commercial buildings like NSSH

Our leaders are practical, forward looking people .... totally have no sentimental values in their planning.

Even a simple facade, they can't even preserved!

In another 100 years from now, probably the only old structures that will remain in Singapore will be the ERP gentries, of course with the latest computer chips to work out complicated calculation such as how many ppl in yr vehicle, what's the latent weight, etc.... (it's all for the benefits of the nation, you know) .... :think:

Our leaders are practical, forward looking people .... totally have no sentimental values in their planning.

Even a simple facade, they can't even preserved!

In another 100 years from now, probably the only old structures that will remain in Singapore will be the ERP gentries, of course with the latest computer chips to work out complicated calculation such as how many ppl in yr vehicle, what's the latent weight, etc.... (it's all for the benefits of the nation, you know) .... :think:

Now they say "its not old enough" to a 1950s structure, and then in the end 50 years later, we won't have much of 100 year old buildings, as all had been demolished before then.

it's like....saving money, and then withdrawing it bit by bit and later saying you don't have enough money in your bank.

to put it practically..... will it bring in additional revenue to keep the hotel? will it increase the tourism value of the area? does anyone really even care if this building and other buildings are gone?

The answer is no to all of the above..... hence sigh what motivation is there for keeping it around?

to put it practically..... will it bring in additional revenue to keep the hotel? will it increase the tourism value of the area? does anyone really even care if this building and other buildings are gone?

The answer is no to all of the above..... hence sigh what motivation is there for keeping it around?

That's the problem in Singapore. Does everything need to bring financial benefit?

It does not bring financial benefit to build more parks, should we not? No, we should because it brings fresher air, and is a social venue. It does not bring much financial benefit to repaint the blocks every few years, should we not? No, we should, for aesthetic purposes. Does it bring financial benefit for us hobbyist photographers to pursue our dreams? Most people, not much but should we not. We should, because it's our hobby.

Does it bring financial benefit to protect our heritage buildings? Maybe not so, but should we? We should. Not for the sake of financial gain, or any reward, but for the sake of our heritage.

If the authorities are willing to save it, it can be done. It's sad to see people always thinking about money. It's the reality, yes, but its sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.