New!!! 50mm f1.8 G lens

Wandering how much will it be in Singapore. Hope they throw in for free with D800.
Is my hope too fat?

Wandering how much will it be in Singapore. Hope they throw in for free with D800.
Is my hope too fat?

It is not fat, just obese. Unless Nikon is having a promotion. Anything can happen.

How about buying the said lens and they throw in a new D7000 :bsmilie:

Is my hope too fat?

yes, they then can continue selling their ever-lasting-popular AF-50mmf/1.8Dlens...!!:cool::cool::cool:

Guess very likely that they may priced it in between 50mmf/1.4 and 35mmf/1.8 lens...!!!:cool::cool:

NikonUSA $219 x 1.23 = SGD 269
NikonSG pricing sure more than $269 to $3xx

AJ23 said:
You guys think too much on the freebies. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I hope there will be a promotion of buying the 50mm f/1.8G and you get to purchase the D3x for $99.90 or the D7000 for $19.90.
A purchase with purchase promotion.
:) LOL

NikonUSA $219 x 1.23 = SGD 269
NikonSG pricing sure more than $269 to $3xx

After what you've indicated above, I presume it'd be priced just slightly above 35mmf/1.8 lens as SG always $$$-priced lenses much higher...!!!:complain::complain::hammer: ...:bsmilie:...:cool:

i wonder how quick the focus is for this G lens....

AFD 50mm = 52mm ... Adding a motor will thus enlarge the body size and hence the front filter size need to enlarge also.

I think this one should be the cheapskate motor version right? I remember there are 2 versions of motor.

I don't think so, since it's an FX lens. It definitely looks like it's much stronger than the 50mm f/1.4. Just my personal opinions.

I don't think it's much better than the AF-D version. I speculate that it will be slower to engage focus (AF-S primes seem to focus slower than AF-D ones for some reason, especially on higher end bodies). Might be sharper, but I doubt it will be much sharper. Moreover, it's almost twice the price of the AF-D version...

Although the AF-S primes are slower, they are still sufficient to lock focus accurately under dim light. Have been using it for shooting weddings and have no problems at all.
For me, I choose the AF-S because of their IQ, not AF speed.
I'm not sure how fast the speed you want as a hobbyist or for assignments.

Although the AF-S primes are slower, they are still sufficient to lock focus accurately under dim light. Have been using it for shooting weddings and have no problems at all.
For me, I choose the AF-S because of their IQ, not AF speed.
I'm not sure how fast the speed you want as a hobbyist or for assignments.

It's just something I'm pointing out. Whether or not the sharper results are worth that US$100+ more (in fact, it's almost 2x the price of the AF-D) is up to everyone to decide. Personally for the 50mm I'd stick with the AF-D versions, unless the 50/1.8G is really outstanding. So far I don't see many reviews saying that the 50/1.4G is significantly sharper than the AF-D version. For the 24 and 85, the G versions are definitely sharper, but for the 50 I don't think there is much of a difference.

It's just something I'm pointing out. Whether or not the sharper results are worth that US$100+ more (in fact, it's almost 2x the price of the AF-D) is up to everyone to decide. Personally for the 50mm I'd stick with the AF-D versions, unless the 50/1.8G is really outstanding. So far I don't see many reviews saying that the 50/1.4G is significantly sharper than the AF-D version. For the 24 and 85, the G versions are definitely sharper, but for the 50 I don't think there is much of a difference.

? why you think no difference?

Actually from the information I have now, it seems to be a big difference as the optical formula is TOTALLY different. The lens changed from 52mm filter thread to 58mm. They added aspherical element. Looks like a complete overhaul. I will be VERY dissappointed with nikon if they cannot make a better lens after overhauling the optical formula and increasing the size significantly.

AFS 50/1.8G
pic_002.png

AF 50/1.8D
pic_002.gif

linked from nikon website. it's going to be sharper.

Last edited: