Never use step up ring!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
Today afternoon i went to ms color to buy a polarizing filter and a step up ring coz it was cheaper than having 1 filter for every lense.i bought i it 93 total.Shortly after,i went to matrichie resevoir to try out.First,i took out some things from my bag and i wanted to clip it back but it was hard so i took a long time.Wheen you use a step up ring it is always lose(for my case not sure bout others).Then i dropped!!! Got one small part chipped luckly nv affect the i carry on shooting.Then i took my empty coke bottle on a barrer to take a shoot with the lake,wind blow!DROP! then i go catch .SUDDENLY!!!!!!!I accidently hit my filter it was attatch to a UV filter .walao drop into the lake!!!!!Gone case.....Chao suay sia

Wah Bro... very dramatic sia.

How come the step up ring can be so loose till it can drop so easily. Retention problem?

That's spending for better IQ but end up with a bigger loss.

NovJoe.

Did you screw the rings tight in the first place? Lucky for me, never had the problem of loose threads so far

Ryan

I;m confused...

It sounds like he may have screwed the step up ring onto the lens and then a UV and the CPL onto it. Both the filters dropped in along with the ring.... meaning the step up ring was not screwed on tightly enough.

People use such rings since many years. Can't be a problem with the rings then. Don't tighten too hard but also don't let them get lose. That's all. Sometimes the ring gets lose when turning CPL, just got myself used to turn only in one direction. TS: you paid some good tuition fees, then.

What an expensive lesson.....the way it is placed on the lense is (BODY-Lense-UV-Step Up Ring-CPL) i turned the step up ring to the max but its still loose leh very easy come out wait until i save enuf again i go back shop tell the ms color uncle i think he will laugh

My problem with step up ring is always that the step up ring is too tight when attach to the filter, hard to unscrew them apart. :bsmilie:

Why stack a UV filter and CPL filter ? :dunno:

My problem with step up ring is always that the step up ring is too tight when attach to the filter, hard to unscrew them apart. :bsmilie:

Ya i got that problem once after a holiday trip. Can be a pain trying to unscrew an adapter with a polarising filter, and not helping when the filter itself has a habit of rotating..

Ryan

Is your UV filter the slim kind with no female thread on the opposite side? What brand was it?

Also: (BODY-Lense-UV-Step Up Ring-CPL) the UV is totally unnecessary. Might create vignetting or excessive flares.

The trick to securely screwing in any filter/step up/down rings is to rotate the ring anti-clockwise first, until you sense a slight "click". In this way, you can ensure the threads are well aligned, and able to couple together.

I use a separate UV filter for each of my lens, but only has one 77mm CPL filter for 2 lenses, one with 72mm and other with 77mm lens thread. Naturally, the lens with 72mm thread has a step-up ring on it all the time. No problems so far with the step-up ring.

Thing about step-up/down rings is that ther have shallow threads, generally.

Always be sure to screw stuff properly and all should be fine.

I have both step up and step down ring. So far not a problem too. I think the CPL may at times cause accidental unscrewing itself for the lens or step down/up ring. :sweat:

This is a case of NOT using equipment properly...

I think it is a case of poor quality step up ring. I use a B+W step up ring. It is very very well made.

So what dropped to the lake? the coke bottle???
Kinda got lost in the DROP!! CATCH!! SUDDENLY!! drama... lol :)

Let me try to understand yr english. U attached the step-up ring to yr polarizing filter, then attached the combo to yr lens (probably u still had the UV filter on at the same time). Then u lost balance and the polarizing filter slip off yr step-up ring? Maybe when u were turning the polarizing filter u unintentionally made lose the step-up ring? It happens sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.