Never on Sunday

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/03/greece-protest-idUSL5N0IO0E620131103

http://www.euronews.com/2013/11/03/...est-against-new-laws-allowing-sunday-trading/

In Greece racked with endemic recession and frequent riots over the economy, they can protest over Sunday shopping. The shop workers are protesting that they may have to work in the shop on a Sunday, even if they are given compensating days off on weekdays.
This is ridiculous.
The Greeks are too used to government handouts and easy credit/loans from banks, when times were better.
No wonder some parts of Europe are in decline.

In Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok and many other Asian cities, it is a norm to have shops open on Sunday for people to go shopping. Chatuchak Market opens especially on weekends. Cause that is the best time to make money. The more sales transacted, the better.

This song originating from Greece in the 1960s is appropriate to address the current 2013 situation in Greece.

[video=youtube;CWcXM5kt7vs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWcXM5kt7vs[/video]

Last edited:
That's why their country is bankrupt and needs financial aid to stay afloat.

If TopGear is to be believed, in Italy they have a law that forbid people from working on Sundays.

If TopGear is to be believed, in Italy they have a law that forbid people from working on Sundays.

Yup that's correct. In most parts of Europe, Sunday is spent resting, meeting family and friends for meals, hiking in the park, watching football, etc.

In Greece racked with endemic recession and frequent riots over the economy, they can protest over Sunday shopping. The shop workers are protesting that they may have to work in the shop on a Sunday, even if they are given compensating days off on weekdays.
This is ridiculous.
No, the only thing that's ridiculous is your ignorance of other countries' / region's traditions and values. I recommend you stick your nose in some books about Jewish and Christian tradition, with particular interest on the 7th day of the week. Although the amount of people following these religions declines, the traditions have shaped the thinking for centuries.
Secondly, using a special market in a developing country as ruler to judge the entire economy of a region of highly developed countries .. well.. I hope you see how off you are. If not, well, good luck.

Last edited:
Well that's the problem with us .. we find it ridiculous cuz they refuse to work on a sunday. The problem is sunday suppose to be a rest day and yet we are working like a cow. That's why we dont have family life and all. Not sure who is in a more sorry state.

No, the only thing that's ridiculous is your ignorance of other countries' / region's traditions and values. I recommend you stick your nose in some books about Jewish and Christian tradition, with particular interest on the 7th day of the week. Although the amount of people following these religions declines, the traditions have shaped the thinking for centuries.
Secondly, using a special market in a developing country as ruler to judge the entire economy of a region of highly developed countries .. well.. I hope you see how off you are. If not, well, good luck.

Saturday is supposed to be the 7th day. Not Sunday! How ignorant!

Last edited:
According to the international standard ISO 8601, Monday shall be the first day of the week ending with Sunday as the seventh day of the week. Although this is the international standard, countries such as the United States still have their calendars refer to Sunday as the start of the seven-day week.

Whether people & societies want to work on a Sunday, its up to them. Nothing mandatory or sacred about it.

Btw why MUST shopping be done on a Sunday, cant it be Saturday or any other day???

Last edited:
Well that's the problem with us .. we find it ridiculous cuz they refuse to work on a sunday. The problem is sunday suppose to be a rest day and yet we are working like a cow. That's why we dont have family life and all. Not sure who is in a more sorry state.

+1
Imagine that the only way we know as to how to spend our Sundays is to shop... what happened to fellowship, rest and not just another day feeding our consumption desires..

Although the Jewish sabbath is officially on Saturday, the tradition & practice for centuries is to attend Church on a Sunday which is considered a day of rest, also in line with the accepted calendar. So Octarine is not wrong in this respect. So who is ignorant, or rather arrogant?

Last edited:
well the hardcore orthodox jews will stone your car if they see you driving on the sabbath.

When I was young I once attended a Chinese primary school in Kelantan, a Muslim state.

We had our weekends on Friday and went to school the other 6 days. :bsmilie:

School for 6 days a week?! That's intense...

Saturday is supposed to be the 7th day. Not Sunday! How ignorant!
Go and read further.
I am referring to the 7th day of the week as resting day in general, coming from the biblical creation myth. Due to different traditions, religious interpretations and the changed counting of the weekdays the actual weekday used might now be different.

well the hardcore orthodox jews will stone your car if they see you driving on the sabbath.

Nah .
They just mind their own business .

Why are we getting so work up over Sat or Sun...

We are not living in Europe or in the 1600s... its YEAR 2013 where a 24hr service sector is a given thing... the idea that you must rest on a certain day every week is no longer in fashion. And did no one notice that Sun was 'chosen' because you are supposed to go to church on that day ?? Your so call day of 'rest' is to enable you to go worship...

Myself.... I like and preferred a society that doesn't enforce an updated rule on when I could work and get service and when I 'must' rest... and I'm not saying this because I like to enjoy my weekend... in fact, I work most weekends and public holidays because I work in the Service Sector for the last 15yrs... with as many as 7 type of shift.

Its the 21st Century.... live with it...