Never Give Your Work Away for Free

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore
[video=youtube;H8WfwCT0i7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8WfwCT0i7Y&list=UUL5Hf6_JIzb3HpiJQGqs8cQ[/video]

I like how he try to put his message across.

Last edited:
Yeah, giving open source and free software is also stupid and damaging software industry

Reactions: Foxshade
Yeah, giving open source and free software is also stupid and damaging software industry
Yes, right .. Google is nearing bankruptcy since they started Android, Red Hat is down the drain, not to mention all the other companies using Open Source. It's possible you might have more OS devices in your household than others.

Well, I certainly don't mind giving away my work.
The problem is NOBODY WANTS MY WORKS. LOL.

Yes, right .. Google is nearing bankruptcy since they started Android, Red Hat is down the drain, not to mention all the other companies using Open Source. It's possible you might have more OS devices in your household than others.

if you took the mick
please put it back sometime

Interesting video. :)Many would have agreed since this is Discovery Channel.
Photographers - STOP Giving your work away!
[video=youtube;H8WfwCT0i7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8WfwCT0i7Y[/video]

Interesting video. :)Many would have agreed since this is Discovery Channel.
Photographers - STOP Giving your work away!
[video=youtube;H8WfwCT0i7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8WfwCT0i7Y[/video]

Thanks for posting, however, there is an existing thread posted yesterday, threads merged.

I understand here is KPT, as this place have more traffic, hope more member can watch this video and understand his points, but please refrain from posting off topic posts, these will not help to get the message across.

btw, photographers shouldn't give your photos away freely, whether your photos good or not, that is not the point.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, however, there is an existing thread posted yesterday, threads merged.

Thanks Catchlight.
Maybe he rejected bec he has some reputation already. Imagine someone else who doesn't have reputation at all? Discovery channel leh

• Matt Granger needs to be brief, condense his thoughts and communicate his point across in less than 3 minutes.

• His point can be made in 1 minute.

• Not talk in a rambling, disorderly and boring monologue for 9 minutes 40 seconds.

• No precision in the idea. He should not say, don't do anything for free.

• He should say, don't feed the sharks (media companies) who want to take a part of his photos/videos free; use it, put in legalese to deny his rights forever to that, and then profit from selling the video to television networks.

Thanks Catchlight.
Maybe he rejected bec he has some reputation already. Imagine someone else who doesn't have reputation at all? Discovery channel leh
What Matt Granger said is truth, nobody will take notice of the names at the end of the show.
such companies just want to exploit photographers/videographers, using their stuffs without paying them, and it cost the companies noting.

and the best part is photographers/videographers still feel so great about it, going around and bragging it.

isn't sound the same like "I slept with Justin Bieber!!"

Last edited:
it is quite sad that money has become the main motivation, if not THE motivation, when it comes to contribution to society.

We have become a P A P society! Pay and Pay. Everything must Pay. Sad. We should get rid of the P A P mentality!

it is quite sad that money has become the main motivation, if not THE motivation, when it comes to contribution to society.

We have become a P A P society! Pay and Pay. Everything must Pay. Sad. We should get rid of the P A P mentality!

Try to live a day without paying for what you buy, eat, drink and enjoy and see. :bsmilie:

So essentially you are asking other people to work for free so that you don't need to pay?

It have been a trend for small and even big company to approach hobbyist photos for credit. As some bro have memtioned, for hobbyist it's kind of honor to have someone approaching you for your photos (Hey look, my photo have been featured in here etc..) and it can make the hobbyist feel good about it (For a short period of time)but its killing the professional photographers industry.
My photos were not that great but was fortunate enough to be approached by some small company asking for free photos in return with credit. I always decline politely, asking if they willing to pay for it and I always don't get a reply hahaha
But I dont mind giving away for free if it's a charity organizations (If they want lah haha) or 1 time usage for student school project.

Last edited:
True, this society is getting very materialistic.

Well, materialistic or not, I need to eat few meals, daily.

Any restaurant willing to give me free meal? In return I will credit them whenever got people ask me about my lunch/dinner/breakfast.

Well, materialistic or not, I need to eat few meals, daily.

Any restaurant willing to give me free meal? In return I will credit them whenever got people ask me about my lunch/dinner/breakfast.

Actually some restaurants really do give out free meal for "Credit". They invited those food bloggers for meals and in return, those bloggers have to rave how good the food was haha

Actually some restaurants really do give out free meal for "Credit". They invited those food bloggers for meals and in return, those bloggers have to rave how good the food was haha

you are right...there are also some event which gives out "press" pass to bloggers for the "credit". so nowadays those bloggers' post cannot be trusted liao...especially food one...the UK farm in malaysia also invited all those bloggers for free stay during their opening...Bloggers also get free cosmetic samples also...if only i know how to blog. :) i want free 600mm sample