Neutral Density Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent

Dec 23, 2004
Hi, i am thinking of getting a neutral density filter for my Olympus SP500UZ camera, wondering which type to get and approx how much it will cost?

get a PL-CIR (circular polarizer) instead, it is a 2-stop ND filter and u can control contrast with the polarizer! highly recommended, any of the Hoya SMC CPL or ND filters!

ronaldjace said:
get a PL-CIR (circular polarizer) instead, it is a 2-stop ND filter and u can control contrast with the polarizer! highly recommended, any of the Hoya SMC CPL or ND filters!
Hmmm.... I don't know if pl-cir can control contrast.... :think: . AFAIK, pl-cir is to reduce reflection (if set correctly). Care to explain?

Regards,
Arto.

ronaldjace said:
I learned new something today!!!! :thumbsup:

CIR-PL = ND2 :thumbsup:

ronaldjace said:
is it compatible with my camera? just atatch on is it?

and approx how much it costs?

thanks..

the filters i know are screwed in. so u check ur cam got screw threads or not. and also check the diameter lor. different diameter have different price.

zcwnfx said:
the filters i know are screwed in. so u check ur cam got screw threads or not. and also check the diameter lor. different diameter have different price.
from a review page,

"the barrel around the lens is threaded, and you can use both conversion lenses and filters once the CLA-4 conversion lens adapter (optional) is attached."

so i assume i have to get the conversion lens adaptor first?

and

lens.jpg

which is the lens diameter? the inner one or the outer one (measure from the silver rim)?

sorry, noob here

edit: think mine is 52mm

the thread one lor.

normally they will say wats the filter size.

bent said:
from a review page,

"the barrel around the lens is threaded, and you can use both conversion lenses and filters once the CLA-4 conversion lens adapter (optional) is attached."

so i assume i have to get the conversion lens adaptor first?

and

lens.jpg

which is the lens diameter? the inner one or the outer one (measure from the silver rim)?

sorry, noob here

edit: think mine is 52mm
If your camera does not have a threaded circumference, can always try the Cokin version. http://www.cokin.com/shoeholder.html

../azul123

ronaldjace said:

A CIR-PL is NOT a 2-stop ND filter.

A polarizing filter blocks out polarized light (when light is scattered or reflected, it becomes polarized) hence increasing the exposure by 2 stops.

While a Neutral Density (ND) filters are designed to reduce the amount of light passing through the lens so that a longer exposure is required to record the image.

Francis247 said:
A CIR-PL is a NOT 2-stop ND filter.

A polarizing filter blocks out polarized light (when light is scattered or reflected, it becomes polarized) hence increasing the exposure by 2 stops.

This I understand is use when taking shoots through glass or when reflection need to min.

Francis247 said:
While a Neutral Density (ND) filters are designed to reduce the amount of light passing through the lens so that a longer exposure is required to record the image.

Can pls explain the improvement this filter make?;p

chicken chop said:
This I understand is use when taking shoots through glass or when reflection need to min.

Can pls explain the improvement this filter make?;p

For the CIR-PL, I believe you already know, it can be use to eliminate the reflection and glare off surface of water and also used to deepen the blue skies and green vegetation

For the ND filter, it is not so much of improving the picture but to reduce the amount of light (to increase the exposure) so as to produce blur and introduce a sense of motion.

Francis247 said:
A CIR-PL is a NOT 2-stop ND filter.

:nono: Refer to what my ND PRO has typed earlier.

ronaldjace said:
He's my PRO :thumbsup:

so just to clairfy, if if i get a circular polariser, it helps reduce the amt of light entering to some extent but i shud also get a ND filter to further reduce light esp if shooting waterfalls rite?

is ND 4 or ND 8 more handy (or should i get both?? i dun exactly know by up to how much light it reduces you see

bent said:
so just to clairfy, if if i get a circular polariser, it helps reduce the amt of light entering to some extent but i shud also get a ND filter to further reduce light esp if shooting waterfalls rite?

is ND 4 or ND 8 more handy (or should i get both?? i dun exactly know by up to how much light it reduces you see

Hi there,

It really depends on the light condition, if you want to shoot waterfall, maybe a circular polarizer should be enough unless the condition is really very bright. It will be good to have a ND filter to standby, not really a must.

As for ND Filter, here is a list, hope that it helps.

ND2 - Reduce Light Entering the Lens by 1 f-stop
ND4 - Reduce Light Entering the Lens by 2 f-stops
ND8 - Reduce Light Entering the Lens by 3 f-stops

bent said:

they serve different purposes...

CPL is to cut off the glare and unwanted reflections (although it does help to reduce the amount of light entering, it does not consitute a ND)

ND's as the name implies is a Neutral Density filter, meant to reduce the amount of light without interfering with the colour cast. A graduated ND will however help to show up some parts of the scene to be darker and make certain scenes more moody.

Cheers,

ok, that helps clear up any confusion. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.