network two computers together, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
I have a PC at home, which I constantly connect to the internet using dial up.

I have a notebook that I bring to work, and while reaching home, I want to have the notebook connect to the internet as well.

I don't want to disconnect my PC and redial-up through my notebook.

I want to make the notebook connect to the internet through the PC.

both have network card. the PC has modem to dial up to the internet.

what's the steps I should do to connect them together to the internet? I want both to be able to communicate and exchange file one another too.

Please helps, network sifus...Many thanks. :)

U have to get a crossed (not straight) network cable to connect the 2 network cards.

both have network card

all u need will be a cross network cable and some configuration to share files and internet connection

both using winXP. cross network cable, that's it? do I need to setup any software?

For winxp, use a cross cable to plug the 2 machines together. for the dial up machine. go to network connections, from control panel.

double click the dial up connection, and find the properties.. there should be an advanced tab, and in the middle, there is a Internet Connection Sharing:

tick the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection.

If not wrong, the system will prompt you to configure the IP address for your network card as a private IP, like IP:192.168.0.1, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0.

Then for the notebook, you should configure the IP as something like IP:192.168.0.2, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.0.1.

Meanin the notebook will be pointing to your desktop and using it as gateway to internet... something like that... pai seh for not enough details... i dun personally use ICS, so not sure if this works. if it does not.. dun flame me. :bsmilie:

Be aware that some programs don't work well with ICS.
They'll think that your internal network is the internet...

may be u can try install a wireless network card on your laptop and see if there are any any unsecured network to use? :p

Wai said:
may be u can try install a wireless network card on your laptop and see if there are any any unsecured network to use? :p

Like what i did last time.... :sweat:

there is no wireless network around here... :p

why not connect my notebook to the dial up? Reason is because I want to have both PC online at the same time, one for myself and one for my wife.

rhair78, I will try your method, thanks. Need to get a cross cable tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.