Network help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboy_cad

Sep 20, 2004
singapore
nmmbpd.multiply.com
Hi Fellow Photog....

Need some help in networking my 2 desktop & 1 notebook. Can any give what thing to prepare (gudget) and how to do the networking setup & installation.

Thanks in advance.

you need a router and striaght cables. if you want to go all wireless den have to get wireless adaptor for your desktop.

if u dont wanna see wires, u can get a broadband router + a couple of wireless adapters to set up a wireless network

u can get them @ SLS

but be prepared that wireless router transfer file much much much slower than when machines are connected using wire.

Hi all,

How about the setup and installation (wiring). Also need to add one printer. Is there anybody can give me sketch or link site to explain further more.

Thanks

Hi all,

How about the setup and installation (wiring). Also need to add one printer. Is there anybody can give me sketch or link site to explain further more.

Thanks
if you ain't using a print server, just connect the printer on the one of the com that is most often switched on. and connect all the com to a router and do setup in window.

If you want to make things simple for yourself, just get one of those all-in-one broadband routers that come with at least 4 switched ports (2 for your desktop, 1 for your notebook) as well as a built-in print server (so you don't have to have a dedicated print server on a PC, otherwise that PC must be on all the time).

Thread moved to Kopitiam due to not related to photography topic

Connect 2 desktops & 1 notebook ?
1. What is the Internet Connection ? ADSL or cable ? What is your current setup ?
2. How far between all hardwares ?

My recommendation is get a wireless router with 4 ports. Connect 1 or 2 of the desktop to the router via ethernet cable(s) (RJ45 - straight). Ensure both desktops have ethernet card (PCI) installed else buy it at Sim Lim Square. Look for 3COM brand. For notebook, if it has built-in wireless, just configure your wireless router with SSID + WEP or MAC filtering.

Thread moved to Kopitiam due to not related to photography topic

Connect 2 desktops & 1 notebook ?
1. What is the Internet Connection ? ADSL or cable ? What is your current setup ?
2. How far between all hardwares ?

My recommendation is get a wireless router with 4 ports. Connect 1 or 2 of the desktop to the router via ethernet cable(s) (RJ45 - straight). Ensure both desktops have ethernet card (PCI) installed else buy it at Sim Lim Square. Look for 3COM brand. For notebook, if it has built-in wireless, just configure your wireless router with SSID + WEP or MAC filtering.

Mega has covered more or less liao.

Just need to know if ADSL or cable

From ur requirement, i guess its for home use.

1 X wireless router
2 X wireless transciever device

Set ur wireless to WEP security, Select how many bits u want. Enable SSID broadcast. .
and set wireless access to PC restricted to ur PC mac address.

In my humble opinion. Dun get netgear, cheap and lousy. problematic :thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.