Netbook... anyone tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diediealsomustdive

Apr 2, 2006
CCK
Hi, thought of getting a netbook but am afraid that it may be too slow to handle some of the task.

For traveling only, and not the full fledged CS4 stuff, I am looking for ability to say download RAW photos and using PS Elements 6.0 to do initial processing - batch convert the day's shots to jpg basic.

Speed is not the essence, of course it cannot take 12 hours, but reasonable time like maybe 1-2 hours to download say 150 shots and do initial processing. Or would starting up Elements hang the netbook?

Or put it another way, would today's netbook be similar in performance to 2-3 year old notebook, like IBM Lenovo T41?

Thanks for any insights.

I really would NOT recommend a netbook for those tasks unless you have a looooooot of time to wait.

For 150 shots it *should* be enough; I doubt it would take more than a minute per picture.

I really would NOT recommend a netbook for those tasks unless you have a looooooot of time to wait.

For 150 shots it *should* be enough; I doubt it would take more than a minute per picture.

Thanks. That should work out to 2-3 hours each night for the day's travel shot, if I am shooting "heavily". You know, after getting back to the hotel, download and let the netbook go to work, shower, makan, etc, then review. Heavy processing leave till back home.

Would like to leave the notebook at home.

depending on the type of netbook you bought. For those using Atoms, seem to be as good as P4s. which should not be a problem running such apps, but if you wanna be on the safe side. install CS1/2 instead of CS4.

depending on the type of netbook you bought. For those using Atoms, seem to be as good as P4s. which should not be a problem running such apps, but if you wanna be on the safe side. install CS1/2 instead of CS4.

They actually have a veeeeery poor FPU, and so are a lot more like the old P3 Celerons. :(

I wouldn't recommend a netbook for processing. Maybe it could be used as a storage medium or preliminary review /delete etc. but even then, they have limitaations on hd space.

On a more positive note, netbooks are creeping into the range of laptops, and many suspect that the lower end laptops will improve in price and quality. If you can wait then the choice will only get better.

I wouldn't recommend a netbook for processing. Maybe it could be used as a storage medium or preliminary review /delete etc. but even then, they have limitaations on hd space.

On a more positive note, netbooks are creeping into the range of laptops, and many suspect that the lower end laptops will improve in price and quality. If you can wait then the choice will only get better.

space not an issue. current netbooks come with 160gb hdd already... you can upgrade it to 320 or 500gb... of course, not talking about those initial 1st batches with built in 4gb or 8gb space.

i am using a S10 and i feel its far too slow and low res/small screen to process pictures. I still use my desktop for those work.

i am using a S10 and i feel its far too slow and low res/small screen to process pictures. I still use my desktop for those work.

Obviously not going to be used for processing. If I am travelling with my D300 or D60 it would be no problem, I imagine, as I can do Raw+basic - so the job of the netbook is simply to download and preview.

My only problem is that my underwater rig is still S2Pro, and up to now I had not figured out if I can do Raw+basic. Maybe it can so then a netbook is good enough, preview and download.

S10 - what make?

In addition to slow processing power/insufficient RAM, the resolution of the current 10" screens still stands at only 1024 x 600 pixels. With today's 12 megapixel cams (on average) if you're viewing pics at 100% full res you'll need to do quite a bit of scrolling around (even viweing @ 50% will be a problem).

Netbooks are best left for "light" stuff, excluding post processing of any sort. Resizing pics - maybe still ok lar but will still be slower than ur normal desktop running C2D or equivalent.

Question: for traveling only, and not the full fledged CS4 stuff,
- ability to say download RAW photos and using PS Elements 6.0
- do initial processing - batch convert the day's shots to jpg basic for preview and delete obviously bad ones only

Or will the mere starting up of PS Elements hang the netbook?

No more demands.

Last edited:
It can do everything you mentioned. I use mine to run really complex spreadsheets and yes it does work. I'm also using mine to play need for speed hot pursuit 2, no problems. The speed of the atom 270 is about equivalent to a p4 2.2-2.4 ghz, check out the min requirements of ps elements.

I bought mine as a backup when i go travelling too. thinking of upgrading to a 1 terabyte hd when they become available.

I just bought a lenovo s10, granted that i have yet to do much on the comp but it seems to be built very solidly and have a very nice lcd monitor. I only intend to watch some movies/tv on it, listen to mp3 and also use it to back up my photos from d90.

It comes with built in cardreader and 2 uSB port, which i intend to use for download. I think the downside is probably the slow download speed(yet to try) but should not be an issue as it's meant to be backup, like when i am back in hotel bathing and resting. :)

Will try it out as i intend to download maybe NX2 and LR2 trial on it.

It can do everything you mentioned. I use mine to run really complex spreadsheets and yes it does work. I'm also using mine to play need for speed hot pursuit 2, no problems. The speed of the atom 270 is about equivalent to a p4 2.2-2.4 ghz, check out the min requirements of ps elements.

I bought mine as a backup when i go travelling too. thinking of upgrading to a 1 terabyte hd when they become available.
for spreadsheet, i just download openoffice since i doubt will do very complex work on it, more like open and read documents from MS office.

I have the MSI Wind U100 netbook with 2GB RAM personally. Running the apps are usually not a problem, however doing post processing is an issue for Intel N270 processor since it is hyperthreading at 800MHz to make the effective 1.6GHz speed. I usually only run simple Paint.net on it rather than CS3/4.

I own a Lenovo S10 with 2GB RAM and had used it with Capture NX2 (and also LR2) to batch convert 100+ RAW files (from D300) into JPEG of dimension 1024 x 768. The conversion certainly did not take hours but viewing/selecting the shots was quite a PITA because of the small resolution.

NET BOOK, it is a fad and it is in my not so humble opinion, JUNK.

Performance, other than accessing the net, checking emails etc, they truly are CMI.

Portable enough, screen too small, HDD too small, keyboard too small ...

For the large ones, not so portable, and they really closes the weight and size gap to the ultra-portable laptops, but without the performances as expected.

If you are thinking of getting one, if you can, get a full specs ultra portable, it will serve you much better in the long run.

My original decision was, get a work station class laptop and a net book or get a full featured desktop and an ultra-portable. The cost were more or less compatible. I choose the latter, now I have a desk top that can fly, and a full function ultra-portable that can run circles around any net book out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.