nervous abt approaching ppl in public for shots

wolvie77

Nov 15, 2009
Hi! all. i'm trying to expand my topics for shooting & was thinking of shooting ppl in public. but scared & nervous whether will they get offended or not. need advice if we need to seek permission or just snap away. some of my friends say don't need but i just can't help worrying.

Erm. This is the 4th or 5th such thread. Please try to search or look around a bit first.

If nervous just use a long zoom lens, until u get used to it

Hi! all. i'm trying to expand my topics for shooting & was thinking of shooting ppl in public. but scared & nervous whether will they get offended or not. need advice if we need to seek permission or just snap away. some of my friends say don't need but i just can't help worrying.
try working in the sales line for a while.

you will get the hang of how its done as its not so different...go up to a person, say who you are, ask if can take photo. If cannot, repeat the process with another person.

the better you get, the more hits you will get.

keep it up.

Um..you can take my picture..just ask me...so far, i have never been approached by anyone to have my picture taken. :D

If nervous just use a long zoom lens, until u get used to it
Why telephoto and not UWA lens? :bsmilie:

omaxphotographicswideanz.jpg
omaxphotographicswidean.jpg

omaxphotographicswidean.jpg

Um..you can take my picture..just ask me...so far, i have never been approached by anyone to have my picture taken. :D
"Why telephoto and not UWA lens? by 9V Orion"

Very clever naughty.

心中无魔, what is there to be scared of? if they say no, then don't shoot.

your conscience is clear - that much is enough.

you don't really need to seek permission, but there are people who will be offended when you are clearly taking their picture.

look at how david solomons does it

[vid]cFY4kfqXl2Q[/vid]

There are people who get offended when you take their photo. Don't be scared and nervous. Under Singapore Law or in any other country, it is not an offence to snap a person as long as it is a public place accessible by anybody.

Exception to this rule is you are not allowed to snap anybody in a private place. Private place can also taken to mean shopping malls, recreation areas, swimming pools and clubs just to name a few. Don't assume that a shopping mall is a public place simply because everybody goes there. It is still a privately owned entity by definition in law.

心中无魔, what is there to be scared of? if they say no, then don't shoot.

your conscience is clear - that much is enough.

you don't really need to seek permission, but there are people who will be offended when you are clearly taking their picture.

look at how david solomons does it

[vid]cFY4kfqXl2Q[/vid]

i love his work :D ~

To TS-my offer is still vaild, only condition that you need to meet is only to take me in casual wear, no uniform. :)

me too, seriously i don't mind anyone taking photo of me..

It's up to individuals. Some prefer to take from a safe distance away, some openly stand in front and snap away. it's all up to you. :)

Advice, shoot first worry later:bsmilie:

the wide angle is a good idea for close up shots and cropping :bsmilie:

Don't shoot in places where shady transaction might take place, eg Geylang..
Unless you are a good fighter.. :bsmilie:

Don't shoot in places where shady transaction might take place, eg Geylang..
Unless you are a good fighter.. :bsmilie:

Or a good runner.
Shoot then run.:bsmilie:

Cheers:)

It's up to individuals. Some prefer to take from a safe distance away, some openly stand in front and snap away. it's all up to you. :)

Some places are a no no. Try taking pictures of chickens in Geylang. The pimps will walk up to you and wave you on. Some will let their fist do the talking. As photographers, try to understand the environment and behave appropriately. It is not a one size fit all.