Nepal's Kathmandu/Pokhara - 20 - 27 Sep 09

Status
Not open for further replies.

milneas

Jun 18, 2008
Hi there! Wondering if anyone is heading up to Nepal during that period? Will be going mainly for photography and will welcome any interested travel partner.

Hi there! Wondering if anyone is heading up to Nepal during that period? Will be going mainly for photography and will welcome any interested travel partner.

Hi! I am going at the end of the year for 12 Days. 8 Dec to 20 Dec. Care to share about the best way to get there???

Price and such. Cheers!

Andrew Ng

Always wanted to go here. But...plans go cancel, because parents did not want to travel due to H1N1

GMAN

September is still the wet season there?

September isnt that wet in Kathmandu or pokhara except occasional short drizzles. I'm going in October and will be there for a week. I have stayed there long enough so feel free to ask any specific questions.

Silk Air might be a good options for cheaper deals.
Other option could be Sin-Delhi-Kathmandu (can be cheaper if you can get promo rates for Delhi)

Trailblazer,

Where would you suggest to spend more time in, Kath or Pok? I am planning to bring 3 lenses (Canon 10-22, 17-55, 70-300) without tripod. Also, would it be better to fly to Pok from Kath to save time (of course I will miss out on the sights along the way)?

September isnt that wet in Kathmandu or pokhara except occasional short drizzles. I'm going in October and will be there for a week. I have stayed there long enough so feel free to ask any specific questions.

Silk Air might be a good options for cheaper deals.
Other option could be Sin-Delhi-Kathmandu (can be cheaper if you can get promo rates for Delhi)

Excellent choice of destination.
I went last may, conquered Poon hill, magnificent view of the Hiamalaya mountains.
Do smoke weed in Pokhara.
7 days may be slightly short, but anything's possible.
1 day Kathmandu, day sightsee, night Thamel.
6 days Pokhara!!!
Fly Pokhara if you can afford, else, endure the gruelling drive.

Recommended by my friend to engaged the service of www.himalayanglacier.com, located in Thamel, Kathmandu.

I'm John, email for Naba for a suggested itinerary and a quote, no obligations, and if possible, get Raj as your guide.
Raj is prolly the best guide among all my expeditions, excellent command of english.

Namaste!
3790600775_06f3a9b74d.jpg

I'll be going for the Annapura Circuit next year around April... :D

Lubber Duckie

Is that you with the long hair? Just kidding. Nice pic! ;)

6 days in Pokhara? It's that worth staying in huh? Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely try to secure Raj but am not hopeful since his languange ability would probably make him hot property. What's the must do/see in Pokhara (other than smoke weed?)

Namaste!

Excellent choice of destination.
I went last may, conquered Poon hill, magnificent view of the Hiamalaya mountains.
Do smoke weed in Pokhara.
7 days may be slightly short, but anything's possible.
1 day Kathmandu, day sightsee, night Thamel.
6 days Pokhara!!!
Fly Pokhara if you can afford, else, endure the gruelling drive.

Recommended by my friend to engaged the service of www.himalayanglacier.com, located in Thamel, Kathmandu.

I'm John, email for Naba for a suggested itinerary and a quote, no obligations, and if possible, get Raj as your guide.
Raj is prolly the best guide among all my expeditions, excellent command of english.

Namaste!
3790600775_06f3a9b74d.jpg

Recommended more days in Pokhara as it is the gateway to mountain climbing, safari, water-rafting and etc.
Kathmandu is only good for temples, night-life and shopping in Thamel, e.g. pashmina, outdoor equipments, clothings, souvenirs and etc.

are there anything like thefts and cheating over there? or anything to be aware of at all? i may be going there during the end of september. :)

Theft & cheating rates are definitely alot lower than Cambodia and India.
There're not as many beggars as compared to the 2 other countries.
Do bring some pens, pencils and sweets for the kids you meet along the way.
Cash-donation is not recommended as you may encourage the kids to not go to school, but beg instead.
Shopping is also alot easier as the prices that the shops quote are actually standard, you may bargain alittle more.
In short, there's no "tourist price."

Always wanted to go here. But...plans go cancel, because parents did not want to travel due to H1N1

GMAN
Tell your parents there are less H1N1 cases in Kathmandu than in Singapore!!!!:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Theft & cheating rates are definitely alot lower than Cambodia and India.
There're not as many beggars as compared to the 2 other countries.
Do bring some pens, pencils and sweets for the kids you meet along the way.
Cash-donation is not recommended as you may encourage the kids to not go to school, but beg instead.
Shopping is also alot easier as the prices that the shops quote are actually standard, you may bargain alittle more.
In short, there's no "tourist price."
Strange, in my many travels to Cambodia and India where I stayed for weeks, never encountered any thefts personally................in general these countries are safe, don't always believe the media stories as they are exaggerated

Hong Sien

Status
Not open for further replies.