Nepali old man

artfiends

Jul 21, 2012
Singapore
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure, post-processing(color saturation and sharpness)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To capture the faces of Nepalis in their most natural state of expressions.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This image is taken in a very small pocket of mountain village while trekking in Nepal. Its a challenge to be physically exhausted and at the same time looking for interesting subjects. If I remember correctly, it should be an overcast afternoon. Although this old man wasn't looking friendly at the point when this photo is taken, he eventually gave a huge smile after I initiate one, to my surprise. That just cement what I heard about Nepalis being one of the most hospitable people around.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Was quite happy with the cool color of the house which gives the old man a more calm and peaceful appearance.

DSC08428-Edit.jpg

interesting subject, but the lighting looks a bit flat to me. you could try dodging and burning to get more light to the face of the man and make his portrait pop out more.
8523670773_9cd4995027_b.jpg

over do...not nature..

interesting subject, but the lighting looks a bit flat to me. you could try dodging and burning to get more light to the face of the man and make his portrait pop out more.
8523670773_9cd4995027_b.jpg

I have no idea why picasa make the image so desaturated.

I don't really get these comments edit realistically not natural .

I personally like the processing used by Zaren . I depends on your individual preference and what you are trying to achieve

Last edited:
first thing first,

the white balance is off, he looks unwell.

second, it is underexposed, and everything looks dull.

noting right, noting wrong, here is my version.

Nepali_old_man.jpg

yep, the white balance is tough to get right on this photo. setting the white balance on the rice and reducing some yellow colour cast, i get this version:
8531186816_33aec1bcde_b.jpg

Alright, I am going to stray from the editing aspect of the photo.

Personally, as the aim for your shot was to shoot the faces of the Nepalis in their most natural state, this might not be the best photo to showcase it, as his face is clearly looking into your camera, and showing a face of shock/annoyance, making it a "non-natural" face. Still, it's a decent portrait that gets the focus of the image right, as the person is distinct from the background.

Though, as an image, I would have waited for the man to actually do something with the pot of rice, to make it a very natural looking image.

Onto editing... I would have personally gone for a Black and White look, as the colors in the background and the person is really too distracting.

Personally, I think it is waay more effective in trying to get the image across. With a slight addition of grain, it gives the image really that old school documentary look.

Now I realize that this is not really in their natural state. Thank you all for making me understand more about contrasts, white balance, filters and values.

My 1.5 cents worth:

I think TS can go lower for this shot. Try sitting down to same level as him and chat with him a little.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure, post-processing(color saturation and sharpness)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To capture the faces of Nepalis in their most natural state of expressions.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This image is taken in a very small pocket of mountain village while trekking in Nepal. Its a challenge to be physically exhausted and at the same time looking for interesting subjects. If I remember correctly, it should be an overcast afternoon. Although this old man wasn't looking friendly at the point when this photo is taken, he eventually gave a huge smile after I initiate one, to my surprise. That just cement what I heard about Nepalis being one of the most hospitable people around.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Was quite happy with the cool color of the house which gives the old man a more calm and peaceful appearance.

Actually since the discussion has moved to about colour, my 2cents is that I prefer the original photo posted the most.

In terms of composition, I would prefer to see a bit more of what's on the floor in front of the person (i.e. shift camera down a bit to take more of, or move a bit backwards). However I don't really see anything wrong with the original photo either. I doubt I could have done better given the circumstances so I'll go with what you have.

Alright, I am going to stray from the editing aspect of the photo.

Personally, as the aim for your shot was to shoot the faces of the Nepalis in their most natural state, this might not be the best photo to showcase it, as his face is clearly looking into your camera, and showing a face of shock/annoyance, making it a "non-natural" face. Still, it's a decent portrait that gets the focus of the image right, as the person is distinct from the background.

Though, as an image, I would have waited for the man to actually do something with the pot of rice, to make it a very natural looking image.

Onto editing... I would have personally gone for a Black and White look, as the colors in the background and the person is really too distracting.

Personally, I think it is waay more effective in trying to get the image across. With a slight addition of grain, it gives the image really that old school documentary look.

ya, personally i like the b/w version too

Above all, emotion of such pix is most important... this is a 'turn and look' image which hardly tell much about the person. Good try!